Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Its stories like these that keeps me centered and not straying too far left and somewhat empathetic with the HH/Flash view of liberals.

Cops killed a mountain lion that wandered into Santa Monica and many residents are angry at the cops. The Santa Monica newspaper enflames stuff (see below) by calling it a baby mountain lion. It was an adult, 3 years old.

I love animals. I don't like to see man encroaching on territory of wild animals. I'm sorry they killed the animal but what the f*ck? This is not only a wild animal but an animal more than capable of killing people. Its not some raccoon or opposom that wandered into a backyard. Had they tried the approach of what some people wanted and some kid gets killed you'd hear why didn't they just shoot the thing. They were damned either way. No win situation for the cops.

http://www.smmirror.com/articles/News/Baby-Mountain-Lion-Shot-And-Killed-In-Downtown-Santa-Monica/34685

Baby Mountain Lion Shot And Killed In Downtown Santa Monica

In a system where the most terms a president can get is two, why wouldn't a second term prez just do what he wants during his second round? I like the idea pf "giving someone else a go" after 8 years, but when it's close to the end and there's nothing to play for, one would be very tempted to "do whatever you like" and enjoy the ride towards the end.

The idea of a 2 term President has been there since Washington served 2 terms and retired. After FDR was elected 4 times, the Republican Congress passed the constitutional amendment that limited the President to 2 full terms consecutively(it excluded Truman, who could have run for as many terms as he wanted). During a second term, the "lame duck" President loses a lot of his power. While he can still matter in his Supreme Court appointments, executive decrees (as Truman used to integrate the military) and foreign policy. I can't see a President getting much of his legislative agenda through Congress. Once he is elected for the last time, he loses much of his political power.

I'm actually against the 2 term limit. I am a 'will of the people' kinda guy. If the people are stupid enough to keep electing a bad president then the people should have that right and bear the consequences.

Interesting enough there was a movement by some Republicans to change it so Reagan could run for a 3rd term.

During a second term, the "lame duck" President loses a lot of his power

My point exactly, without the carrot of a prospective third or fourth term, and the threat of him and his party losing power, there is little or no pressure (for the president himself) to perform.

Even so, despite being a 'lame duck', Presidents have done great things in their second term because of the driven need to be remembered for something significant. All Presidents want to be remembered amongst the best in history books.

I suspect Obama is no different IF he wins. Will he accomplish something signficant or even try to? No one knows for certain but I would not be shocked if he tries.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gingrich-biden-hurting-obama/2012/05/24/id/440235?s=al&promo_code=F069-1

Newt Gingrich: Speculation Increases on Biden Leaving Ticket

A new Quinnipiac poll shows that Biden is hurting President Obama’s re-election chances in several swing states.

I've thought about this myself. I don't think he needs to drop Biden to win if things stay the same but if he is consideirng it, its best to do so before the Democratic convention obviously. Who to fill the VP role? The obvious would be Hillary I imagine. Other than her? Hmmm...not sure really.

As for Romney, the VP slot is one of the last big decisions in his power that could help his cause. Jindal has been mentioned as well as a few other folks. Paul wouldn't take it but it would help. His son perhaps, Rand. But youth and inexperience could be sited although Obama and Quayle overcome those concerns.

I think Jeb Bush would make a great VP (or even President) but his big brother f*cked up the family name. Too much Bush over the last 20 or 30 years for most Americans. Jeb would bring in Florida and I think he'd be a hit in Ohio.

For the future I like Jindal but he's a bit too partisan for my taste. He has integrity though. Its no secret I love Cory Booker. think he'd make a wonderful president. Gary Johnson may be a bit too flaky for some (even though I'm planning to vote for him) but Jon Huntsman would do nicely.