Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Unit you are missing the point. It seems that it isn't about facts anymore - neither is it about ideology or moral like in previous elections (abortion, gay marriage, e.g.). It's just about to tell the people anything what they want hear, even if it is the opposite what they are planning to do: like declaring that the want to support the poor, but preparing for the biggest cuts for the poor ever...

I think I understand what you are stating here. I'm almost sure.

I did think that unbiased verified facts and statistics was the paramount of any rational discussion.

But I think what you are stating is that falsehoods, distortions, and out right lies are the norm for this group of Republicans. And that the comments by Ryan, Romney, and the Republicans - they will say anything - right or wrong - true or untrue - to get elected. And if they say them over and over again, some of lesser minds can and do believe all of these falsehoods, distortions, and out right lies.

Wow! I'm gonna have to go back and edit all of my posts regarding this political subject matter.

What a fool I am !

The Media's 'Fact Check' Smokescreen

Journalism: If media "fact checkers" are just impartial guardians of the truth, how come they got their own facts wrong about Paul Ryan's speech, and did so in a way that helped President Obama's re-election effort?

Case in point was the rush of "fact check" stories claiming Ryan misled when he talked about a shuttered auto plant in his home state.

Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler posted a piece — "Ryan misleads on GM plant closing in hometown" — saying Ryan "appeared to suggest" that Obama was responsible for the closure of a GM plant in Janesville, Wis.

"That's not true," Kessler said. "The plant was closed in December 2008, before Obama was sworn in."

What's not true are Kessler's "facts." Ryan didn't suggest Obama was responsible for shuttering the plant. Instead, he correctly noted that Obama promised during the campaign that the troubled plant "will be here for another hundred years" if his policies were enacted.

Also, the plant didn't close in December 2008. It was still producing cars until April 2009. :hmmm:

An AP "fact check" also claimed that "the plant halted production in December 2008" even though the AP itself reported in April 2009 that the plant was only then "closing for good."

CNN's John King made the same claim about that plant closure. But when CNN looked more carefully at the evidence, it — to its credit — concluded that what Ryan said was "true." :applause:

Media fact-checkers also complained about Ryan's charge that Obama is cutting $716 billion from Medicare to fund ObamaCare. Not true, they said. Medicare's growth is just being slowed.

But Obama achieves that slower growth by making real cuts in provider payments. And in any case, the media always and everywhere call a reduction in the rate of federal spending growth a "cut." So why suddenly charge Ryan with being misleading for using that same term?

In any case, Obama himself admitted that he's doing what Ryan says. In a November 2009 interview with ABC News, reporter Jake Tapper said to Obama that "one-third of the funding comes from cuts to Medicare," to which Obama's response was: "Right." :)

The rest of Ryan's alleged factual errors aren't errors at all; it's just that the media didn't like how he said it. But since when is it a fact-checker's job to decide how a politician should construct his arguments?

This isn't to say that journalists shouldn't check facts. Of course they should.

The problem is that the mainstream press is now abusing the "fact check" label, using it to more aggressively push a liberal agenda without feeling the need to provide any balance whatsoever. And, as the reaction to the Ryan speech shows, they are now blatantly using it to provide air support for Obama.

Is it any wonder that soon after Ryan's speech ended, the Obama campaign rushed out an ad using the media's "fact check" stories as its source?

My link

Gosh, darn. Facts are facts. And opinions are opinions. Editorials are opinions. Sometimes editorials have facts. Sometimes editorials have opinions. Sometimes editorials have both facts and opinions. Sometimes editorials have neither facts nor opinions. The end, though is that real facts used in context are the actual truth.

"In 1918, General Motors bought a farm implement manufacturing plant in Janesville, a city of 60,000 near the Illinois border. Production of Chevrolets began there in 1923. Employment peaked at 7,100 in 1978, but a series of five layoffs occurred over the next 30 years.

By December 2008, when President George W. Bush authorized nearly $14 billion in loans to General Motors and Chrysler, both of which were near financial collapse, GM had already warned it might close the Janesville plant because of sagging sport-utility vehicle sales. The plant was effectively shut down on Dec. 23, 2008, when GM ceased production of SUVs there and laid off 1,200 workers. (Several dozen workers stayed on another four months to finish an order of small- to medium-duty trucks for Isuzu Motors.)

So, the plant closed while Bush was still in office, about a month before Obama was inaugurated.

Ryan's evidence

We asked Kevin Seifert, spokesman for Ryan's U.S. House campaign, for evidence that Obama promised to keep the Janesville plant open and failed. (Ryan will be on the November 2012 ballot both for his House seat and as Mitt Romney's running mate.)

Seifert cited this portion of a February 2008 campaign speech then-Sen. Obama gave at the Janesville plant:

"And I believe that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years. The question is not whether a clean energy economy is in our future, it’s where it will thrive. I want it to thrive right here in the United States of America; right here in Wisconsin; and that’s the future I’ll fight for as your president."

That's a statement of belief that, with government help, the Janesville plant could remain open -- but not a promise to keep it open."

LINK

By Kaitlin Mulhere / Sentinel Staff | 7 comments

"WESTMORELAND — Two men were killed and several others injured Saturday in an accident on Route 12 during an annual motorcycle memorial ride honoring a fallen war hero from Newport.

The crash happened about 11:45 a.m. as nearly 200 motorcycles made their way from Newport to Keene.

Robert Lockerby, 87, of Walpole was driving north on Route 12 near the Route 63 turnoff when he crossed the center line and struck several motorcycles, according to a news release from N.H. State Police.

Witnesses said that caused a chain-reaction crash among the motorcyclists, who tried to swerve and slam on their brakes to avoid the collision.

Some motorcyclists were unable to stop and ran into the first two motorcycles that had been hit head-on by the car, police said."

LINK

"IRONTON, La. (AP) — When Hurricane Isaac whirled into the Gulf Coast this week, the federal levee system protecting New Orleans did its job. But the patchwork of floodwalls shielding subdivisions outside the city and rural fishing and farming communities was no match for the drenching storm.

As the cleanup began Friday, an old debate grew more urgent: Is it worth billions of dollars to build better levees in areas that are sparsely populated and naturally flood-prone?"

LINK

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clint Eastwood earned plenty of bad reviews for his latest performance: a bizarre, rambling endorsement of Mitt Romney.

‘‘Clint, my hero, is coming across as sad and pathetic,’’ tweeted film critic Roger Ebert as Eastwood adlibbed Thursday night to an audience of millions — and one empty chair — on stage at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. ‘‘He didn’t need to do this to himself. It’s unworthy of him.’’"

LINK

"LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clint Eastwood earned plenty of bad reviews for his latest performance: a bizarre, rambling endorsement of Mitt Romney.

‘‘Clint, my hero, is coming across as sad and pathetic,’’ tweeted film critic Roger Ebert as Eastwood adlibbed Thursday night to an audience of millions — and one empty chair — on stage at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. ‘‘He didn’t need to do this to himself. It’s unworthy of him.’’"

LINK

Clint Eastwood was about the only person at the

Republican National Convention that didn't use a

teleprompter!

Are the Republicans imitating Obama?

Lies and spinning happens on both sides. However the voter Id thingy is exceptionally disgusting. Serving nn other purpose than to supress votes. If there was empirical data suggesting widespread voter fraud i would lead the drive myself. However, there is none. Plus the waste of money and manpower.

Shame.