Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Found this quote online somewhere - food for thought

In the 16 years from 1980 to 1996, there were 21 gun massacres in the US and 13 in Australia. In 1996, the world’s strictest gun control laws were passed in Australia. In the 16 years since, there have been 41 gun massacres in the US, and in Australia – zero.

Having said that, my dad (farmer) owns guns, and doesn't have trouble buying them - needs to be able to put animals out of their misery. Friends of mine are "Sporting Shooters" and either hunt with guns, or shoot targets - some at an international competitive level. They have no problem buying and owning guns, but from memory they need to be locked away and most are kept at the gun club safe.

Surely if lives are saved by making a few laws/amending the old ones it's worth it? Isn't it?

If I had a dummy spit and decided to shoot my neighbour, down here it would take a month(?) to get a license and maybe be able to do it. IF I knew people who could get me illegal guns it would probably take hours, or days? Plenty of time to calm down and ponder the ramifications of my actions..

If I was in the US, where AFAIK in some places it is easier to buy guns than cigarettes, I could have shot my neighbour in less time than it has taken to post this reply...

OR I light up a cigarette in a Californian public place and get shot by the Police, and others get injured in the crossfire?

My father one year gave me a set of cased pistols for my birthday, the kind of collectibles you would never fire. Even so, I had to wait two weeks for the police clearance before I could pick them up. This seems to be standard across the US. However, you can buy firearms from a private individual without undergoing any background check.

An RFID chip is readable from how far away?

"RFID tags are viewed with concern by privacy advocates and civil libertarians, who fear that they could be used for government surveillance as well as identity verification. Some also warn that RFID-enhanced documents are vulnerable to RFID hackers, who can intercept the signals and clone the chips for their own illicit use.

In response to these worries, the state of New York is mailing each one with a protective storage sleeve that prevents transmission, commented DMV spokesman Ken Brown, in a recent article in Newsday. Brown added that the only personal information contained in the tag is a number that would be meaningless except to Homeland Security agents."

LINK

My father one year gave me a set of cased pistols for my birthday, the kind of collectibles you would never fire. Even so, I had to wait two weeks for the police clearance before I could pick them up. This seems to be standard across the US. However, you can buy firearms from a private individual without undergoing any background check.

US firearm laws vary depending on where you live . They are more strict in places like DC, MA, and MD. In MD, for example, transfer of handguns and assault weapons (AK47, AR-15, etc) between private individuals must go through a FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee) and a background check.

"RFID tags are viewed with concern by privacy advocates and civil libertarians, who fear that they could be used for government surveillance as well as identity verification. Some also warn that RFID-enhanced documents are vulnerable to RFID hackers, who can intercept the signals and clone the chips for their own illicit use.

In response to these worries, the state of New York is mailing each one with a protective storage sleeve that prevents transmission, commented DMV spokesman Ken Brown, in a recent article in Newsday. Brown added that the only personal information contained in the tag is a number that would be meaningless except to Homeland Security agents."

LINK

Ok, thanks, but the question was, how far away does this RFID thing broadcast too?

Heroism In Newtown

Patti Stamper, Windsor

on 2012-12-15

Out of the tragic news from Newtown comes stories of terrific heroism -- the principal who met the killer in the office; the person who turned on the loudspeaker so that the school could hear what was going on, warning people to get into hiding; the custodian running down the halls saying that there was a shooter in the building and to get under cover; and every single teacher who locked their doors and hid their students -- in closets, bathrooms, under desks, and in the corners of their rooms -- and then placed themselves between life and death to protect their kids.

Make no mistake, everyone of these people expected to die, and yet their first priority, indeed, their only priority, was to protect their students. Not one of them ran off and left their kids, not one of them did this because of it was in their contracts, because they had to get their kids to pass standardized tests, or because of union agreements.

We go into this profession not for the money or the glory, we go into it for the love of learning, for the love of teaching, and for the love of children. And understand this, too: Every single teacher in America would do the same thing. That is the true meaning of "No Child Left Behind."