Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Better yet.

Let's arm all airline passengers. All onboard will have a gun. So if someone starts shooting others can shoot back.

Same for the children. Let's arm all of the elementary students. All kids have a hand gun. Older kids can have the assault rifles. If there is a shooting in the schools - other students can shoot back.

Solved.

Nikki Haley appoints Rep. Tim Scott to Senate

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley ® announced Monday that she will appoint Rep. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) to the Senate.

Scott will replace Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), who is leaving the chamber in January to head up the conservative Heritage Foundation.

“It is with great pleasure that I am announcing our next U.S. senator to be Congressman Tim Scott,†Haley said. “I am strongly convinced that the entire state understands that this is the right U.S. senator for our state and our country.â€

Sen.-designate Scott, 47, will become the only African-American currently serving in the Senate and the first black Republican to serve in the upper chamber since the 1970s. He will also be the first black senator from the South since Reconstruction.

Scott, in his remarks after Haley, emphasized fiscal conservatism and praised DeMint and the people who made him the person he is today — most importantly his mother.

“I am thankful for a strong mom that understood that love sometimes comes at the end of a switch,†Scott said.

His selection is little surprise, as his name quickly rose to the top of most people’s lists mere hours after DeMint announced he was going to resign. There are plenty of ambitious Republican politicians in South Carolina, but Scott made sense for the appointment for a whole host of reasons, including his close relationships with Haley and DeMint and his ties to both the conservative base and the party establishment.

Scott’s new Senate seat will be up for a special election in 2014, when the final two years of DeMint’s term will be at stake, and in 2016, when a full six-year Senate term will be up. It remains quite possible that he could face primary opposition.

Haley and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) will also be up for reelection in 2014, making it a huge year in the state’s politics. Scott’s House seat, meanwhile, will be up for grabs in a special election to be held in mid-2013.

“This is a day that’s been long in the making in South Carolina,†Graham said. “And I’m glad to see it come.â€

DeMint added: “I can walk away from the Senate with confidence knowing that someone is replacing me who is better than I am. I can tell you, Tim, you’ve inspired me from the moment I saw you speak in public.â€

Scott was first elected to the House in 2010, winning an open seat after defeating the son of longtime Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-S.C.), the former segregationist who held the state’s other Senate seat for nearly 50 years until 2003.

He will become just the seventh African-American to serve in the Senate and the first black senator from the South since the 1880s.

Only three black senators have been voted into office by their constituents: Sen. Edward Brooke (R-Mass.), Sen. Carol Moseley Braun (D-Ill.) and now-President Barack Obama (D-Ill.). The others were elected by their state legislatures (before direct election of U.S. senators began) or appointed.

Haley, the state’s first Indian-American governor and first female governor, said she picked Scott because of his merits and not his racial identity.

“It is important to me, as a minority female, that Congressman Scott earned this seat,†Haley said. “He earned this seat for the person that he is. He earned this seat with the results he has shown.â€

Four other Republican were on Haley’s short list as of last week: Rep. Trey Gowdy, former state attorney general Henry McMaster, former state first lady Jenny Sanford and Haley appointee Catherine Templeton. Sanford notably is the ex-wife of former governor Mark Sanford ®, whose fast-rising political career was thwarted when he admitted to an affair with a woman in Argentina.

Scott said he expects to assume his new office on Jan. 3.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/17/nikki-haley-to-appoint-rep-tim-scott-to-senate/

Is Stephen Colbert trying to buy a US Senate seat from South Carolina? It kinda sorta sounded like he was during Monday night’s “Colbert Report," as he speculated about transferring nearly a million dollars in untraceable former "super PAC" cash into a secret Palmetto State slush fund.

“That would be horrible if that came out. Which it wouldn’t, because like I said it’s impossible to trace,†said Mr. Colbert on the Senate subject.

Let’s back up and explain the context here, shall we? Last week Sen. Jim DeMint ® of South Carolina announced he’ll resign to run the Heritage Foundation, a conservative D.C. think tank. Senator DeMint’s term runs until 2014, and GOP South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley gets to pick a replacement to fill the seat until then. South Carolina native Colbert immediately launched a tongue-in-cheek effort to persuade Governor Haley to pick him – although “tongue-in-cheek†is a pretty mild descriptor for Colbert’s comedic style.

“My network contract prohibits me from taking on another full-time job. So the Senate would be perfect,†he said Monday night.

LINK

Faaark! I didn't know that! Another reason not to fly to America. Just my luck I'd be on the plane where some pilot goes Clint Eastwood with some Rapper who thinks he owns the world and there's the big shoot out in the sky....

Think about it coss, if a pilot "goes troppo" does he really need a gun to do more damage than what we saw on Sept 11th?

• Like 1

Noodle House Owner: “I Don’t Care if a Bunch of White Kids Got Killedâ€

http://www.infowars.com/noodle-house-owner-i-dont-care-if-a-bunch-of-white-kids-got-killed/

A racist comment by an Austin Noodle House owner has caused a firestorm of controversy, with one group demanding a boycott of the restaurant after Eddie Nimibutr responded to the Connecticut school shooting by remarking, “I don’t care if a bunch of white kids got killed.â€

181212thai.jpg

The full comment, posted on Nimibutr’s Facebook page, read, “I’m failing to give a damn about the CT shooting. I don’t care if a bunch of white kids got killed. F**k Post-Racial bullshit. When kids from minority groups get shot, nobody cares. When Israel launched missiles at the school on Gaza, everybody was too busy jerking off. Why should i care about people who dont give a damn about me? Personal responsibility, right?â€

Thailand-born Nimibutr’s crass racism prompted a wave of complaints and a campaign to boycott his Thai Noodle House restaurant in Austin, Texas. Users of the Yelp service also flooded his establishment with one star reviews and negative comments...

I apologise to Americans on this forum I previously called weirdos. I was angry at the preventable slaughter of innocent children.

I make no such apology - we now have US Senators appearing on TV to say that this has 'changed their stance' on gun control, and politicians who appear fired up enough to actually do something. Whether any of it will amount to a 'hill of beans' once the photo ops disappear is anyone's guess, but ask yourself this : how many of these politicians are prepared to face the media WHEN the next mass shooting leaves more innocent people in bodybags ?

My understanding is that the ban on certain military-type weapons was allowed to expire. I know I saw firearms for sale in the States that I could not have bought in the 1970s. Renew the ban. The Constitution says "the right to keep and bear arms". It doesn't say the right to own assault weapons. The problem is the anti-gun nuts want to ban everything, which is never going to fly.

p.s. I once belonged to the NRA myself, but quit when they started going over the top (though I do understand their reasoning).

Better yet.

Let's arm all airline passengers. All onboard will have a gun. So if someone starts shooting others can shoot back.

Same for the children. Let's arm all of the elementary students. All kids have a hand gun. Older kids can have the assault rifles. If there is a shooting in the schools - other students can shoot back.

Solved.

There was a time you could board some airlines and fly to the destination while carrying a gun out in the open.

At the time, nobody considered it wrong.

The school I went to, some of the students would drive to the school in their truck with their rifle straaped to the back window.

At the time, nobody considered it wrong.

But today, everything is wrong.

No wonder some go ;nuts'.

It really is quite possible and pleasant too to live in a society where guns are kept well away from the general no-need-to-own population.

Personally, I would like to see zero ownership. But perhaps make a start by banning all weapons that a farmer or a hunter would find unnecessary..such as [semi] automatic rifles and handguns. I have a good Canadian friend who hunts with a crossbow to give the game better odds and himself more skilful sport.

NZ and Australia are such places