Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Looks like I'm the idiot. Again, not that I agree with this thinking but it seems to be the way Americans think........

Armored backpacks and a rush on guns after Conn.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The reaction to the deadly Connecticut school shooting can be seen at gun stores and self-defense retailers across the nation, with anxious parents buying armored backpacks for children and firearms enthusiasts stocking up on assault weapons in anticipation of tighter gun control measures.

A spike in gun sales is common after a mass shooting, but the latest rampage has generated record sales in some states, particularly of rifles similar to the AR-15 the gunman used in an attack Friday on Sandy Hook Elementary School that killed 26 people, including 20 children.

http://news.yahoo.co...-182739177.html

When SHTF, you and your family could be facing roving gangs of looters, rapist, and murderers. A few assault weapons would come in handy in a scenerio like that to protect yourself, your family, and your property -- at least until order can be restored.

Not even sure where to start with that last comment - its up there with Chocolate Steve's earlier comment re 'imagining what I would do in a zombie apocalypse'. Basically, the 'gangs of looters, rapists and murderers' aren't going to come at you and your family with harsh language - they will be armed to the teeth. If the ATF were prepared to kill women and children by setting fire to the buildings at Waco, imagine what people who REALLY dont give a shit about human life will be prepared to do. I'm all for putting up a fight, but the best defense against another LA riot / Katrina is to get the hell out at the first sign of trouble - houses can be rebuilt, people cant.

Looking back on past gun restriction laws - gun dealers will be able to sell whatever inventory they have. The ban if one comes will be on the halt of the manufacture of such banned guns. Dealers will still be able to sell inventory on hand. In recalling the last assault gun ban, the manufacturers had employees in factories working overtime to continute to manufacture the high capacity rifles and magazines. The ban goes into effect, domestic production of high capacity rifles and magazines stopped. All inventory in gun stores could continue to sell such until inventory is depleted. And if memory is correct there was a loophole somewhere in that high capacity magizines manufactured outside US could still be sold/marketed - memory not quite sure on that one though.

The assault rifles already manufactured then sold are still legal to own. So the demand for used assault rifles rises. And prices rise for used ones.

So all would steer me to go out and purchase a couple/few assault rifles with high capacity magazines - just for a monetary investment.

I really don't understand the fuss over high capacity magazines. If you know what you are doing, you don't want one! In RVN we carried maybe 16 or 17 rounds in our 20-round magazines. More than that weakened the springs on the M-16 and the magazines might start falling out at inconvenient times. Also, if you are in a firefight, you want to take cover and don't want a long magazine that prevents you from hugging the ground. However, I suspect that most of the people buying these have no idea what combat is like or even how to defend themselves. :(

T

I'm all for putting up a fight, but the best defense against another LA riot / Katrina is to get the hell out at the first sign of trouble - houses can be rebuilt, people cant.

There are circumstances when it's correct to stand your ground. There are other SHTF scenarios than LA riot and Katrina. (do a google search of 'shtf scenario')

I was supposed to go deer hunting this year. Instead, I went down to the range and shot a paper target, which I imagined to be a deer, with my 30.06 bolt action rifle. BANG!!!!! The bullet hit one inch below dead center at 100 yards. A deer would have been dead for sure. After that one shot, I packed up my bags and called it my deer hunting season. :)

I was supposed to go deer hunting this year. Instead, I went down to the range and shot a paper target, which I imagined to be a deer, with my 30.06 bolt action rifle. BANG!!!!! The bullet hit one inch below dead center at 100 yards. A deer would have been dead for sure. After that one shot, I packed up my bags and called it my deer hunting season. :)

Almost same story here.

I purchased a Russian Mosin Nagant Rifle 7.62x54R WWII miltiary surplus 15 years ago. No scope. Manual sight.

Shot at paper target one time. Good distance away. One of those targests that produces a red burst of smoke/powder when bullseye is hit.

One shot. Dead center.

Those viewing thought I was some sort of expert. That I had calibrated rifle.

Those Ruskies made a darn good rifle.

Never fired again.

Just plain luck.

"If you’re in the market for a used car, watch out for "Superstorm Sandy cars†for sale anywhere in the country.

Between 250,00 and 500,000 of them are expected to resurface at a used car dealer across the United States, including in Northeast Ohio.

Cars and trucks that went through hurricanes or floods can still be restored to look great, even though the most important parts have been permanently damaged. Flood waters can damage engines, electrical systems and more.

They can also cause airbags and brakes to malfunction and make the vehicle dangerous to operate."

LINK

Almost same story here.

I purchased a Russian Mosin Nagant Rifle 7.62x54R WWII miltiary surplus 15 years ago. No scope. Manual sight.

Shot at paper target one time. Good distance away. One of those targests that produces a red burst of smoke/powder when bullseye is hit.

One shot. Dead center.

Those viewing thought I was some sort of expert. That I had calibrated rifle.

Those Ruskies made a darn good rifle.

Never fired again.

Just plain luck.

Are you sure the shock wave didn't cause that red burst on the target? :) I have the M44 carbine and it throws out quite a fire ball; its like shooting a hand canon. :p

http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm