Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Boy, would I love to get a piece of that 1.6 billion rounds sale profit. Do you suppose that is annual?

I doubt it but maybe. What it is, and has been reported a lot, is what is called "strategic sourcing." Just like how big companies like airlines and shipping buy fuel.

What I find very very funny is a lot of people who claim to have vast business knowlage (some here!) dont seem to have ever heard of strategic sourcing.

Hahahahaha.....airlines buying fuel and DHS buying ammunition are not even in the same galaxy. Fuel gets used everyday by the airlines and won't be wasted. What is the DHS going to do with 20 years worth of ammunition? Doesn't it have a "shelf life"?

You need to think about it a little. Cops and the military train a LOT. How many bullets does it take to teach someone to shoot well? How many to keep them able to shoot at a high level of precision after initial training? Many federal agencies require their agents to go to the range every month and some even more.

Just for the record......how many of the roughly 240k employees at DHS are armed? If 100k are armed, that's 16,000 rounds per employee. I refer again to shelf life cuz if they train twice a month, which is more than what you said is required, that is 2666 rounds per practice session in a year. A year of stored ammo begins to degrade.

Yeah, you're right....I should have thought about this a little more.

btw......the military does not fall under the DHS.

Just for the record......how many of the roughly 240k employees at DHS are armed? If 100k are armed, that's 16,000 rounds per employee. I refer again to shelf life cuz if they train twice a month, which is more than what you said is required, that is 2666 rounds per practice session in a year. A year of stored ammo begins to degrade.

Yeah, you're right....I should have thought about this a little more.

btw......the military does not fall under the DHS.

You are right that the military is not part of DHS, but they cross train at DHS facilites. I went to FLEXE just last year for the shotgun course. That was bout 2k rounds right there.

And either way, for comparison sake, back in like 1992, we spent about 10k rounds to learn to shot my 45 when I was with Atlanta PD. You also spend a good 100 a month at the range. (In my day 50rnds was the minimum for monthly qual IF you had a really great score.) Add the two hundred or so you are issued for cary and back up and off duty range time.... as you can see, it starts to back up. And that is just the pistol For me I also had to add the back up weapon... the shot gun and if SWAT, several other items.

While a lowly pistol packer my only need 50rnds a range day a month to just pass, most want to be really good because their life may depend on it. I never saw anyone only shoot the minimum. Plus, shooting guns at targets is fun. Breaking it down 16k rounds per armed agent is about right. And again, remember they do a lot of cross training other agencies.