Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

It seems obvious that he was. He came from a strange background - his father is some sort of wannabe mountain man who wouldn't let his children go to school. He taught them what he thought they should know. Bowe had a fascination with the French Foreign Legion and was heartbroken when they turned him down.

The nonsense about forgetting English is stupid. When you are an adult, you don't forget your first language. It might get rusty, but it doesn't disappear. In all her 60+ years in the USA, my great grandmother never forgot her native German. Maybe the guy has a few loose screws in his cranium.

Gold Star mom: 'This guy was worth my son's life?'

Sondra Andrews’ son, 2nd Lt. Darryn Andrews, is one of six soldiers killed reportedly while searching for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

The sergeant’s return to captivity has stirred “very raw emotions.â€

“It gets really hurtful when I think, this guy was worth my son’s life? My son who was patriotic? Who was a true soldier? Who defended his country with his life?†Andrews told Army Times via phone on Monday. “That guy was worth that? I don’t think so.â€

Andrews also was upset to hear the U.S. government agreed to release five prisoners from Guantanamo Bay in exchange for Bergdahl’s freedom.

I bet you anything there were soldiers killed or wounded capturing those five guys,†she said. “So what does that do for their sacrifice? They sacrificed for nothing, because they turned right around and let them go.â€

Bergdahl disappeared June 30, 2009, from a base in Paktika province, near the border with Pakistan.

He and Darryn Andrews were deployed with 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.

Soldiers who say they served with Bergdahl have since spoken out on social media and in news reports that the then-Pfc. abandoned his post, wandering away from the combat outpost on his own. Many expressed anger that soldiers were killed while searching for Bergdahl.

Darryn Andrews was one of those men.

He was killed Sept. 4, 2009, when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive device and a rocket-propelled grenade, according to the Defense Department notice announcing his death. He was 34.

The military told the Andrews family that their soldier died after a mission to capture a top Taliban fighter, Sondra Andrews said.

“By omission, we assumed they were just pursuing the Taliban,†she said. “Then the guys [Darryn Andrews served with] started contacting me. They said, ‘No, ma’am, we were looking for [bergdahl].’ â€

Sondra Andrews said she’s “very angry†that the military didn’t contact the family before announcing Bergdahl’s recovery.

“They didn’t have enough respect for us to give us the consideration of letting us know, especially since Darryn was part of that mission,†she said. “As a mother, you’re like, ‘what else have they not told us?’ â€

Within hours of Bergdahl’s disappearance, her son and his soldiers went out on foot patrols to search for him, Sondra Andrews said.

“They found his gear. They knew [he’d left],†she said. “You don’t get captured and leave your gear in neat little stacks. They knew he had walked away from his post.â€

Sondra Andrews said she wants to see a full investigation into Bergdahl and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance and captivity.

“The military really owes the parents of these fallen soldiers the truth,†she said. “Just the fact that they’re calling that man a hero just took me to my knees.â€

Sondra Andrews said she wants people to know her son was a good man and a good leader who always wanted to join the Army. Darryn Andrew’s son was just 2 years old when his father was killed. His daughter was born four months later.

“He was a wonderful father and family man, an amazing son, a great brother,†she said.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140602/NEWS/306020055/Gold-Star-mom-guy-worth-my-son-s-life

I wondered how the doufas ever made sergeant. So that's it, he was a private first class when he "went for a stroll" ... and got promoted through the ranks while he was a prisoner. :banghead:

POWs are routinely promoted during there time in captivity in line with time in grade time in service until you get to the higher levels.

I'm aware of that. It started during the VN war. But not much attention is being paid to the fact that he was a Pfc when he "disappeared". I had to go before a board to make sergeant, and plenty of people failed the boards.

'He willingly deserted': Freed POW's former platoon-mates call for him to face COURT-MARTIAL as they reveal how he left post.

Two former comrades of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl have confirmed to MailOnline that their former platoon-mate walked away from his post in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009 with the intention of reneging on his military oath.

'I'm positive that he's a deserter, and that it was all premeditated,' said Gerald Sutton, a 31-year-old Michigan college student who left the military in September 2012 and said he was 'a good friend' of Bergdahl when they were deployed to the Middle East.

A Pentagon investigation established in 2010 that on that Tuesday, Bergdahl abandoned his platoon in a war zone near the Pakistan border while serving with the 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.

The Idaho native's disappearance led to an all-hands-on-deck manhunt in Afghanistan's Paktika Province, as thousands of troops were diverted to rescue a man who left the safety of his outpost with his eyes open.

'He wasn't out on some patrol one day and got captured by the Taliban, and nobody smuggled him off of the base,' explained Cody Full, a 25-year-old former infantryman who spoke with MailOnline from Houston, Texas.

Full, too, was in Bergdahl's unit. And he's anguished at the thought that at least six soldiers died on missions to find him in the early, frantic months after he went missing.

'This soldier knew what he was doing,' Full said. 'He left us. He willingly and premeditatedly deserted his comrades. And he put his team, his squad, his platoon, his company, and thousands of other American soldiers in Afghanistan at a very high risk trying to find him.'

'If he didn't desert, and he was still in the platoon, those soldiers would not have been in the locations where they were killed ... because they wouldn't have been out there looking for him.'

Sutton said he 'felt like I was in immediate danger all the time' after Bergdahl left. 'All of us did. We were sent out for about 30 to 35 days straight looking for him.'

'And there were plenty of other people. I mean, the complete 501st [infantry Regiment] was pulled out of there to search.'

'It was a betrayal to me, because he was my – I considered him a pretty good friend,' Sutton said.

'So it's always been, I've always wanted to ask him, face-to-face, "Why did you do it, man?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646787/He-face-court-martial-desertion-Two-former-Bowe-Bergdahl-platoon-mates-say-thousands-danger-abandoned-Army-post.html

This certainly is an odd case.

On the surface looks like he is a traitor. Another case of home schooling gone bad. His dad appears to be a fruitcake if one can believe what he has written.

I wonder how many CIA agents are in Quatar watching these released guys. One tele commentator claimed that the five have electronic devices embedded on all. Not sure how that could work with a simple x-ray. But nano technology has come a long way.

So if this soldier did walk away (AWOL) then does the Army charge him and go to trial?

What did the US do with those two Army guys that went over to the North Korean side during that war? The two that came back recently.

On the surface all looks cut and dry. But what, if anything, is going on in secret?

Why wasn't Congress notified? What is really behind that. I mean the real truth.

Latest stories are that Hillary was against the swap. Of course, she would have to be if she plans to run for prez herself.

The guys who deserted and went to North Korea were court-martialled, reduced to E-1 and dishonorably discharged. No other punishment though. They had a rough time of things and most people actually felt a bit sorry for them for being so stupid. Bergdahl deserved at least that much punishment.

"Gun nuts aim at each other! Inside NRA’s fight with open-carry lunatics

There is no better manifestation of American gun culture gone off the deep end than when greater-than-zero people believe there’s nothing strange about openly wearing a semiautomatic rifle on a sling into a fast-food burrito line. It is strange. It’s downright weird and scary. Only the people who aren’t scared by such a scene are the weird ones.

Even the National Rifle Association admits this. Those very descriptors — “strange,†“scary,†“downright weird†— are their very words, from a statement released last Friday.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62mm rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

"Let’s not mince words, not only is it rare, it’s downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one’s cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates."

What’s amusing, and revealing, about this lengthy, rambling statement is how it couches the sort of mockery you see above with lip service and sweet cooings to the pro-gun community and activists aligned with Open Carry Texas. The statement says “we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody†and praises Texas as “second to none for its robust gun culture,†an “independent-minded and liberty-loving place.â€

To wander into Chipotle with assault rifles is “out of character for the big-hearted residents of Texas. Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners. That’s not the Texas way. And that’s certainly not the NRA way.â€

In sum, the National Rifle Association *LOVES* Texas, and guns, and doesn’t support any bans on the open carry of anything, or restrictions on any guns sold anywhere, but just wants these GLORIOUS HEROIC Texas activists to stop being counterproductive IDIOTS.

http://www.salon.com...carry_lunatics/