Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I met a guy who'd been in Laos since the Viet war, of course the Lao think it was their war. This guy was American, hobbled around on a walker. I don't know if he was ever a POW though.

By way of interest, not a negative dig at any participants in the war, here's an interesting graphical representation of the bombing in Laos.

Bombing Missions Over Laos From 1965-1973.

http://laosuntouched.com/images/media/Bombing-Missions-Over-Laos-From-1965-1973.mp4

Cheers

Coss

I met a guy who'd been in Laos since the Viet war, of course the Lao think it was their war. This guy was American, hobbled around on a walker. I don't know if he was ever a POW though.

By way of interest, not a negative dig at any participants in the war, here's an interesting graphical representation of the bombing in Laos.

Bombing Missions Over Laos From 1965-1973.

http://laosuntouched...m-1965-1973.mp4

Cheers

Coss

Oddly enough, the bombing targets tended to be concentrated in the areas occupied by the North Vietnamese Army. Probably just a coincidence. :hmmm:

p.s. This map fascinates me. Explains why the local folks around me in the Central Highlands seldom were Vietnamese. The hill tribes also didn't seem to like either the North Vietnamese or the South Vietnamese very much. Several million Cambodians are still in the Mekong delta region too.

post-98-0-92897400-1437633121_thumb.png

Areas where Vietnamese is the native language

• 2 weeks later...

Sad but true...

Jimmy Carter Is Correct that the U.S. Is No Longer a Democracy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-zuesse/jimmy-carter-is-correct-t_b_7922788.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Thom Hartmann interviewed former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, and, at the very end of his show (as if this massive question were merely an aftethought), asked him his opinion of the 2010 Citizens United decision and the 2014 McCutcheon decision, both decisions by the five Republican judges on the U.S. Supreme Court. These two historic decisions enable unlimited secret money (including foreign money) now to pour into U.S. political and judicial campaigns. Carter answered:

"It violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it's just an oligarchy with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or being elected president. And the same thing applies to governors, and U.S. Senators and congress members. So, now we've just seen a subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect, and sometimes get, favors for themselves after the election is over. ... At the present time the incumbents, Democrats and Republicans, look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves. Somebody that is already in Congress has a great deal more to sell."

He was then cut off by the program, though that statement by Carter should have been the start of the program, not its end. (And the program didn't end with an invitation for him to return to discuss this crucial matter in depth -- something for which he's qualified.)

So: was this former president's provocative allegation merely his opinion? Or was it actually lots more than that? It was lots more than that.

Only a single empirical study has actually been done in the social sciences regarding whether the historical record shows that the United States has been, during the survey's period, which in that case was between 1981 and 2002, a democracy (a nation whose leaders represent the public-at-large), or instead an aristocracy (or 'oligarchy') -- a nation in which only the desires of the richest citizens end up being reflected in governmental actions. This study was titled "Testing Theories of American Politics," and it was published by Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page in the journal Perspectives on Politics, issued by the American Political Science Association in September 2014. I had summarized it earlier, on 14 April 2014, while the article was still awaiting its publication.

The headline of my summary-article was "U.S. Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy Says Scientific Study." I reported: "The clear finding is that the U.S. is an oligarchy, no democratic country, at all. American democracy is a sham, no matter how much it's pumped by the oligarchs who run the country (and who control the nation's 'news' media)." I then quoted the authors' own summary: "The preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy."...

• Like 1

Don't want those stinkin' poor folks voting.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that Texas' voter ID law has a "discriminatory" effect on minorities in a victory for President Barack Obama, whose administration took the unusual step of bringing the weight of the U.S. Justice Department to fight a wave of new ballot-box restrictions passed in conservative statehouses.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the 2011 Texas law runs afoul of parts of the federal Voting Rights Act - handing down the decision on the eve of the 50th anniversary of the landmark civil rights law.

Texas was allowed to use the voter ID law during the 2014 elections, thereby requiring an estimated 13.6 million registered Texas voters to have a photo ID to cast a ballot.

The ruling was a victory, albeit not a sweeping one, for Democrats and minority rights groups. Whereas a Texas federal judge last year called the voter ID law the equivalent of a poll tax, a three-judge panel of the New Orleans court disagreed. It instead sent the law back to the lower court to consider how to fix the discriminatory effects.

My feelings on the photo proof is this.

Most places to cash a check or recieve money even from a wire transfer you need photo Id.

Well Western Union says you can have a test question and answer setup.

But to vote I believe you should have a valid ID from a US issued agency.

Plain and simple.. No ID no vote...

...sounds wimpy for all the hot air Trump spouts...

Here are the politicians Donald Trump has 'bought'

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/here-are-the-politicians-donald-trump-has--bought-150256782.html

Donald Trump has given more than $1 million to politicians during his multifaceted career. But he’s not as generous as he made it sound during the first debate among leading Republican presidential candidates.

During the Aug. 6 debate, Trump said of his nine fellow candidates: “Most of the people on stage, I've given to. A lot of money.†But state and federal donation records show Trump has only given to three of those nine candidates, and not in very large sums. He’s donated to just one of the other seven GOP candidates who weren’t included in the debate. And Trump has also given to Hillary Clinton, so of the 22 major declared candidates of both parties, Trump has donated to five of them...

...Hillary Clinton. It’s certainly unusual that a presidential candidate of one party has donated money to a leading candidate of the other party. But Trump’s contributions to Clinton only total a modest $8,500. All of those donations came during Clinton’s tenure as senator from Trump’s home state of New York, from 2000 to 2009. Clinton has drawn close to $400 million in campaign contributions during her 16 years as an active politician, so if she attended Trump’s wedding solely because of the $8,500 he kicked in -- as Trump suggested during the debate -- she comes cheap. More likely, Clinton was there to take part in an A-list event where she’d bump into some of the most important people in her state...