Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

US housing boss Ben Carson calls US slaves 'immigrants'

Ben Carson, the secretary of housing and urban development, has compared slaves to immigrants, on his first day in his new job.

In a 40-minute speech to staff, he praised immigrants who worked long hours to build a better future for their children.

"That's what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity," he told staff. "There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they, too, had a dream."

After criticism that he was being insensitive, Mr Carson later tweeted: "You can be an involuntary immigrant."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39188162

Ben Carson seems like a nice guy, but ... really. It seems like Saturday Night Live has taken over Washington. :surprised:

Saturday Night live's viewership has gone up a lot with this new govt.

Am reading about the new "kill all poor and middle class people and give the rich a 346 billion USD tax break health insurance plan" by the GOP. How can any mentally sane person that is not rich vote for the Republicans. The 1% richest geta 346 bn tax break over the next 10 years and the others will face loosing their insurance again or premiums through the roof.

Really I consider everyone whom votes Republican to be a sadist at best and a complete moron at worst.

Am reading about the new "kill all poor and middle class people and give the rich a 346 billion USD tax break health insurance plan" by the GOP. How can any mentally sane person that is not rich vote for the Republicans. The 1% richest geta 346 bn tax break over the next 10 years and the others will face loosing their insurance again or premiums through the roof.

Really I consider everyone whom votes Republican to be a sadist at best and a complete moron at worst.

thats a lot of contempr for one person, ........

Ben Carson is indicative of many non white male conservatives. There is this common thread of acts that you must shit on whatever group you came from in order to be accepted. I'm not saying white male conservatives require it, I don't know I'm not, but the non white male conservatives do feel they need to in order to ingratiate themselves.

Carson is one of them. I'm at pain to think of one black conservative who hasn't built his career in part on criticizing other blacks and will always refer to them in the 3rd person, using 'they'.

Carly Fiorina, was by far, the most outspoken critic of Planned Parenthood and anti abortion in the primaries. An issue dear to women.

Cruz (and to a lesser extent Rubio) had a lot of anti immigrant, specifically latino sentiment. Both are Cuban who have had preferred status. No such thing as illegal Cuban. They have been given special access to America. (may end with Cuba opening up now, who knows).

The few gay Republicans there are that are in the public view, don't say they are for gay marriage. They remain silent.

Point is, its normal to hear such things from black conservatives. Everyone else, can be proud of their specific heritage. Italian American, Jewish American, Irish American, etc. down the line. In speeches, they will talk about how their ancestor or parent or someone came from the mother country and so forth, etc. If you notice black conservatives will always say "I'm just a proud American" and will never bring up any pride in being black.

Somewhere along the line Carson became self hating. Publicly at least. Its normal though.

I heard Ben Carson on the radio, making this speech, and before I knew who he was and what this was all about, I only had his words to go on.

I drew from his performance that he was some sort of evangelist, forcing melodramatic emotion into every word and phrase, trying to convince an audience looking for a Soap Opera Weepy, that America was the only good country the world had ever seen and that it was just so gosh darn perfect, that no country would ever attain half of it's greatness.

The only comparison I can draw, is that if you've ever heard Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, doing the prayer to god, ('Oh lord you are just so very big...') then you'll get the gist of this Ben Carsons' emotive dribbling praise of the USA.

Ben Carson's presidential bid was really a religious campaign. He is a firm believer in the biblical armageddon. He's a Seventh Day Adventist who thinks the world is destined towards the prophetic visions outlined in revelations. He is a nut case. Full blown nutter. At some point he went from inspirational brain surgeon who was mentoring prospective young blacks who wanted a medical career to a man who embraced religious zealotry and became a religious conservative aligned with the fundamental right because it was a fit for his views.

That's Carson. His appointment to HUD is a head scratcher. The only experience he has with Housing and Urban Development was that he was raised in part in public housing. Using that qualification I can think of others just as or even more qualified.

Its the history of America. From its earliest beginnings, the poor were set against each other. Indentured servants from Europe and the early Africans brought over lived together and aligned and as soon as they started organizing together to fight for economic justice, blacks were made permanent slaves in perpetuity and poor whites were given a carrot that you could be landed gentry like us rich (near impossible in a strict class/caste system) and we will put others below you legally and socially (Africans), while their pockets were picked. Poor whites in the south supported slavery even though economically it reduced their job prospects because you can't compete with free labor.

Its GOP supporting people who voted for the legal loopholes for those factories and other non college degree centered jobs that middle america relied on to be able to move overseas easily. They also voted for politicians that ended unions and made their states 'right to work' and able to be fired.

Meanwhile these companies get corporate welfare that is almost twice as much as spent on social welfare. The GOP wanted to end the extensions of unemployment benefits in the Great Recession of 2008. Monies that kept poor middle america eating, not well, but eating.

I have no pity for such people. You get the government you deserve in the end. My personal view is always prepare for the world that is. Whatever certifications, degrees, or whatever is needed to survive if not prosper and vote my interest.

Gender-swap experiment shows Hillary even less likable as a man

An experiment designed to reveal gender bias by reenacting the presidential debates with the candidates’ genders reversed found that Hillary Clinton would have been even less likeable as a man.

Maria Guadalupe and Joe Salvatore, two professors at New York University, planned to demonstrate the alleged gender bias Clinton faced in the 2016 election by acting out the presidential debates with Trump as a woman and Hillary as a man, reports NYU News.

The goal of the “Her Opponent†project was to prove that people would not have accepted Trump’s aggressive behavior had it come from a woman, and that Hillary’s debate style would be much more likable if she were a man.

The professors and audiences of the mock debates, however, were “unsettled†to discover that the opposite was true—Trump became more likable as a woman and Hillary became even less likable as a man.

To isolate the gender variable to the greatest extent possible, the actors portraying the candidates sought to emulate their debate performances exactly, down to gestures and intonation, though it was necessary in some instances to tweak the language to reflect the gender reversal.

“We both thought that the inversion would confirm our liberal assumption—that no one would have accepted Trump’s behavior from a woman, and that the male Clinton would seem like the much stronger candidate,†Salvatore explained. “But we kept checking in with each other and realized that this disruption—a major change in perception—was happening. I had an unsettled feeling the whole way through.â€

Salvatore also related that several audience members felt they finally understood how Trump won after watching the gender-swapped debate.

“The simplicity of Trump’s message became easier for people to hear when it was coming from a woman,†Salvatore explained, sharing the reaction of a female audience member who said the male version of Clinton was “very punchable†because he smiled too much.

“When she [the female version of Trump] was attacking, I had so much respect for her and her level of confidence,†a different female audience member told The New York Times.

“At the time of the debates, I dismissed him as awkward, unskilled, untrained,†Salvatore concluded in an email to the Times. “Now I’m not so sure that I would do that.â€

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8889

Friday 10 March 2017 05.44 AEDT

WikiLeaks says it will help Silicon Valley defend against CIA hacking

Julian Assange makes an offering to the tech community as the CIA and the press question his motivations

WikiLeaks publishes ‘biggest ever leak of secret CIA documents’

This week WikiLeaks released what it describes as the largest ever publication of confidential documents on the CIA. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said he would contact technology companies and privately supply technical details of the CIA’s collection of bugs in some of the world’s most commonly used smartphone software. Assange made the announcement in a live-streamed press conference on Thursday, two days after WikiLeaks published the cache of classified documents containing the bugs.

Assange cast WikiLeaks as a rare trustworthy actor in a world of shadowy interests, describing his operation as “a neutral, digital Switzerland†on the heels of harsh criticism from the CIA and renewed accusations of involvement by Russian intelligence with the organization’s information-gathering apparatus.

Assange denied the involvement of Russian intelligence in WikiLeaks’ acquisition of its latest documents, which it calls “Vault7â€, and made a point of impugning the motivations of news organizations that questioned him along those lines. “There are many question that might be asked by CNN; one that defends the interests of the CIA might be a bit problematic to ask,†Assange said when asked by CNN whether the release simply hampered the unsurprising operations of one country’s intelligence service.

Russian intelligence is among the suspects in the latest round of leaks. Russian state operators were said to be “one step†removed from the emails published by WikiLeaks during Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, according to a US intelligence official who spoke to the Washington Post.

The press conference was broadcast from the Ecuadorian embassy in west London, where Assange is effectively confined. Nigel Farage visited the embassy shortly before the press conference began, according to BuzzFeed, and refused to tell reporters why he was there.

The WikiLeaks founder pointed to events revealed in a three-part report last year in the Guardian as evidence that the CIA acted outside its jurisdiction on American soil. “The CIA has a habit of behaving badly in the United States as well,†he said.

“CIA was denounced by the US Senate intelligence committee because it had hacked their investigation in Congress into the CIA torture program and had used its hackers to retrieve documents,†Assange said. A domestic unit called Cyber Blue Team, essentially a white-hat group within the CIA intended to test for vulnerabilities in government networks, was asked by the CIA to break into the Senate’s own networks, according to a Freedom of Information Act (Foia) request by Vice News reporter Jason Leopold.

The CIA strongly criticized WikiLeaks in a statement issued on the agency’s website on Wednesday, saying that “CIA is legally prohibited from conducting electronic surveillance targeting individuals here at home, including our fellow Americans, and CIA does not do so.â€

“The American public should be deeply troubled by any WikiLeaks disclosure designed to damage the intelligence community’s ability to protect America against terrorists and other adversaries,†the agency’s spokespeople wrote. “Such disclosures not only jeopardize US personnel and operations, but also equip our adversaries with tools and information to do us harm.â€

The WikiLeaks disclosures were an extraordinary coup for a group that has already rocked American diplomacy with the release of 250,000 state department cables and embarrassed the Democratic party with political back-channel chatter and the US military with hundreds of thousands of logs from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The CIA strongly criticized the leak, saying it ‘is legally prohibited from conducting electronic surveillance targeting individuals here at home’. Photograph: Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images

The documents, classified “secret†and “top secret,†describe clandestine methods for bypassing or defeating encryption, antivirus tools and other protective security features for computers, mobile phones and even some Samsung smart TVs. Contrary to WikiLeaks’ assertions – the company said the information dump represented all of the CIA’s hacking capabilities – intelligence experts have said the released documents contain a set of tools available to many different contractors and are classified at comparatively low levels.

The bugs, or “zero-day†exploits, so named because manufacturers have zero days to fix them, published by WikiLeaks provide workarounds for hackers seeking to break into Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android operating systems. Apple said it would “rapidly address†any security holes revealed by the list of iOS bugs in the CIA documents. The documents are said to be genuine, though the list of bugs stops well short of the current iOS release.

There are far more variations on the Android operating system and thus a much higher likelihood that some of those exploits still work. Google said in an emailed statement to the Guardian that it was confident that “security updates and protections in both Chrome and Android already shield users from many of these alleged vulnerabilities†and that it would continue to investigate.

TVs spying on us is just the tip of the iceberg. Is Congress ready to act?

Congressman Michael E Capuano

WikiLeaks has not released the actual hacking tools themselves, some of which were developed by government hackers while others were purchased from outsiders. However, the group is now saying that it will once it has passed the code itself on to the affected firms.

Security experts said WikiLeaks was obligated to work privately with technology companies to disclose previously unknown software flaws, known as zero-day vulnerabilities because consumers would have no time to discover how to defend themselves against their use, and with companies that design protection software. WikiLeaks has said the latest files apparently have been circulating among former US government hackers and contractors.

“The clear move is to notify vendors,†said Chris Wysopal, co-founder and chief technology officer of Veracode Inc. “If WikiLeaks has this data then it’s likely others have this data, too. The binaries and source code that contain zero days should be shared with people who build detection and signatures for a living.â€

One clear risk is that WikiLeaks revealed enough details to give foreign governments better opportunities to trace any of the sophisticated hacking tools they might discover back to the CIA, damaging the ability to disguise a US government hacker’s involvement. “That’s a huge problem,†said Adriel T Desautels, the chief executive at Netragard LLC, which formerly sold zero-day exploits to governments and companies. “Our capabilities are now diminished.â€

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/mar/09/wikileaks-julian-assange-help-tech-companies-cia-hacking-leak