Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Sean Spicer: 'Even Hitler didn't use chemical weapons'

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said that Adolf Hitler "didn't even sink to using chemical weapons" a comment at odds with Hitler's use of gas chambers to exterminate Jews during the Holocaust.

Spicer was attempting to discuss the horror of the chemical weapons attack last week in Syria, which the Trump administration is blaming on President Bashar Assad.

"We didn't use chemical weapons in World War II," said Spicer, adding that "someone as despicable as Hitler ... didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."

Minutes later, Spicer delivered a garbled defence of his remarks in which he tried to differentiate between Hitler's actions and the gas attack on Syrian civilians last week. The attack in northern Syria left nearly 90 people dead, and Turkey's health minister said tests show sarin gas was used.

"I think when you come to sarin gas, there was no, he [Hitler] was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing," Spicer said. "There was clearly ... I understand your point, thank you. There was not ... He brought them into the Holocaust centre I understand that."

"I appreciate the clarification. That was not the intent," he said.

After the briefing, Spicer emailed a statement to reporters: "In no way was I trying to lessen the horrendous nature of the Holocaust. I was trying to draw a distinction of the tactic of using airplanes to drop chemical weapons on population centres. Any attack on innocent people is reprehensible and inexcusable.".........

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11836747

Hitler never used chemicals in warfare. He'd been gassed in WWI and knew what it was like, more importantly realising that the Allies would use it the moment he did. I used to work on Redstone Arsenal, which began as a WWII Army installation that produced poison gas shells ... in case Hitler did decide to use it. Parts of the Arsenal are still off limits due to mustard gas and similar types oozing from the ground as they leak through WWII mortar and artillery rounds that were buried there after WWII. An even greater worry are the tons of gas shells that were shipped down to New Orleans and from there taken out and dumped into the gulf. Someday that's all going to leak out into the ocean, and who knows what the results will be!

Yes, Hitler used gas to kill Jews and other "undesirables", but he did so knowing they couldn't retaliate. He wasn't using it as a war weapon.

Funny but yesterday after this exchange I did a search, many of those gassed had huge problems, many could do light work, or stay at home, but then they'd return to the hospital to die basically. The place is now a private hospital as most of the vet's have died :( but was interesting history to read about the people who I guess I must have passed in their beds. Poor old buggers,