Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Good on President Trump!

Amazon has a sweetheart deal with the Post Office....so hell ya, double the rates!!!

Analysts have estimated that Amazon uses the Postal Service for 40 percent of its shipping and that the per package cost works out to roughly $2, or about half of the standard rate charged by other big shippers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-post-office-amazon-shipping-costs-trump-20180404-story.html

Warning! :: non American comment in USA Thread ::

In the Amazon argument , there are a lot of pros and cons, I'll not take a side in this. However I have two observations that just go to show, Change is constant.

1/. from my personal perspective, books is what killed the book shops. I no longer read hard copy. All my reading , Novels, Magazines, Non-Fiction, News, etc is online, or in PDF form through iBooks etc etc and no, I don't have a kindle, everything is available from the internet and through non-Amazon devices.

2/. vis shopping online and the 'unfair' competition with bricks and mortar stores ::

This is a nylon replacement net for a Trout fishing landing net:

post-1447-0-64412300-1526767990_thumb.jpg

vis

post-1447-0-26050500-1526768033_thumb.jpg

The replacement net is made from regular nylon fishing line, weighs about 50 grams and is not special.

In NZ I can walk into a regular fishing tackle shop and pay $40 NZD ~ $45 NZD to buy it.

If I, and I did, order it online from China, exactly the same product, I pay $1.89 NZD and free postage, the down side is I have to wait 3 weeks for it to turn up. No Amazon involved.

I don't believe, that the NZ retailer is forced to charge $40 for this, due to distance from China.

Hope they will do this for air travel....

'No loud kids' policy 'good for business' at California restaurant

You might think that a restaurant with a sign outside that bans strollers, high chairs, booster seats and "loud" kids would be hurting for business.

You would be wrong.

The sign outside of the Old Fisherman's Grotto in Monterey, California is not a new one, but it continues to stir controversy. But that controversy, as well as the quiet atmosphere the restaurant insists upon, is excellent for business according to Chris Shake, the restaurant owner...

https://www.yahoo.co...-parenting.html

post-10197-0-28901000-1526775583_thumb.jpg

You can put me in the anti Amazon category. I might buy one item per year from them, and only if I can't find another business selling the same item within 15% of Amazon. I'm not in favor of putting small businesses out of business and I don't like having one company dominate several sectors of the economy. Unless they want to take on healthcare/drug companies. I'd love to see the existing businesses in those sectors put out of business.

• Like 1

Hope they will do this for air travel....

'No loud kids' policy 'good for business' at California restaurant

You might think that a restaurant with a sign outside that bans strollers, high chairs, booster seats and "loud" kids would be hurting for business.

You would be wrong.

The sign outside of the Old Fisherman's Grotto in Monterey, California is not a new one, but it continues to stir controversy. But that controversy, as well as the quiet atmosphere the restaurant insists upon, is excellent for business according to Chris Shake, the restaurant owner...

https://www.yahoo.co...-parenting.html

Bring back the "crying rooms" that they had in Churches when I was a kid, but expand them to other industries, like the airline industry

• Like 1

news . google . com

I have been getting most of my news at this url and google being google, 'curated' the results so I got what I was most interested in, which was an International/NZ/Science mix with a dose of the Trumps thrown in.

Today I find everything changed, now google insists that I read all about NZ-Australia Rugby League and some wedding or other.

No Trumpian madness, maybe he's dead.

Anyone else use News . Google ? Noticed any change?