Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Between guns, immigration, being a voter fraud zealot and wanting to re-institute the Governor Brownback tax cuts that bankrupted Kansas, I can’t see how Kobach could win a statewide election for dog catcher, let alone Governor. The Democratic leadership in Kansas would be happy if they could run their candidate against Kobach, figuring that his extreme views would cause voters to run to their candidate. That strategy really worked well for Hillary against Trump.

Dueling isn’t a half bad idea. Governor Colyer is a cosmetic surgeon and could make Kobach look as good as new afterwards.

Except for counting absentee ballots, the election results are in. Kobach has a 191 vote lead. Hopefully, most of the 6,000 absentee ballots are from urban voters. In any event, I’d assume that there will be a recount. It may be weeks before this vote is decided.

My house 15 years ago was 15 minutes out of town, with nothing around it. Now, Chiangmai’s growth reached my house and is working its way to Sankamphaene. When I finally do move back, driving into central Chiangmai will be about the last thing that I’ll want to do with any regularity.

The polls have been closed for 5 hours and 500 votes separate Kobach from his challenger, with around 250,000 votes cast. Hopefully, when I wake up tomorrow morning, Kobach will be just a bad memory. But that’s what I keep saying about Trump.

Mr dean, tecnical question. This being a process of finding the Republican candidate, would the same identical voters later be asked to decide about a Democrat candidate?

And as a purely Macchivallian thought : would it not be better to vote for a real Republican arsehole to weaken the Trump front later this year? Only assuming he is an arsehole of course.

To be an eligible voter, you have to register as either a Democrat, Republican or Independent. I tend to vote Democratic but Kansas is a solid Republican state, so I register Republican in order to screw up their Primary (as much as one voter can do that). All Primary voting in a State is done the same day. In my case, if I had registered as a Democrat, I would have voted in the same building that I voted at yesterday but would have voted for the Democratic candidates running for office. You can’t vote more than once in an election and there are severe penalties imposed if you are caught voting multiple times. Plus, you need a nationally recognized ID, like Drivers license or passport, in order to vote.

I know that the Democratic leadership in Kansas wanted Kobach to face the Democratic candidate for Governor because Kobach is an extremely polarizing figure in Kansas, they felt that he would be the easier candidate to beat. I just wanted to make sure that Kobach never reached the General election.

I have no idea who will win the Republican Primary at this point and it will be at least a week before all ballots are cast. Longer if the losing candidate contests the results. And if the results are contested and there is a recount, guess who certifies the result? The Kansas Secretary of State, Kris Kobach.

We saw in the last presidential primaries how the national Democratic Party works. It is no more a democracy than China is. The Clintons had their people rigging it so that Bernie didn't have a chance, even though he was the better choice and also the stronger candidate. (Polls all showed he could probably beat Trump, while it was a toss up with Hillsie.) I've always been a registered Democrat, though I'm actually an independent. Register as an independent at you don't get to vote in either primary. You have to pick a party, and I chose the Dems back before the loony left took over. (JFK would be too far right for today's Democrats, just as Nixon would be too far left for the Republicans.)

Meanwhile, here's an economic take on the Trumpster's war with China. I'm not a big Trump fan, but thank God Hillary didn't get in. She is controlled by the northeastern "elite" of bankers and wealthy capitalists and is also an angry woman likely to continue her international fuck ups as in Libya and Egypt. Trump is a loose canon and no one controls him, which makes things more "interesting". :surprised:

China Will Lose The Trade War With America, And That's Good For Its Citizens

https://www.forbes.c...s/#69c5c1ad3461

• Like 1

Trade War Update: U.S. Goes For China's Jugular

If you want to know the endgame in this China trade war, it is probably this: redirect supply chains to favor American manufacturers; pressure the Communist Party to open its mega domestic market to Americans with no strings (already happening pre-tariffs); and challenge Chinese dominance in Asia, a dominance many in Washington feel was ill-gotten, partly on the backs of intellectual property theft.

China is an export-driven economy. It owes its wealth to that. The Trump Administration is going after China’s jugular. And China is feeling it.

Dissent in China was never easy. Since 2014, I have lost nearly all of my mainland China investment banking sources as Xi Jinping cracked down on them talking to the foreign press. Now, think tanks are being censored for criticizing Xi’s reaction to Trump’s trade policies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2018/07/31/u-s-goes-for-chinas-jugular/#1ea01e5066e3

Kris Kobach won’t recuse himself from a recount in governor’s race. No law requires it.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article216299955.html

And of course you can trust him to be impartial. :clown: