Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

4 hours ago, Flashermac said:

I never saw anything like this in California (or anywhere else) when I was growing up. Yet California, the Bluest state in the country, allows it to happen. :hmmm:

Actually, California was red in terms of presidential elections for a long time. From 1952 to 1988, it was solidly red except for Johnson in '64. In 1992 it became permanently. I was there at the time. The reason was the Republican state government made very draconian (or at least it was considered as such) anti immigration or more specifically it was seen as anti Latinos and the Latinos who really never cared about voting before came out in droves and voted Democrat and since then it has been blue. Had the state not done that we probably wouldn't haven seen a Dem president since because they would have had both Texas and California red and Florida and Ohio as toss ups. 

San Francisco is run by tech. The tech workers with their salaries have totally transformed the Bay area, pricing out everyone who isn't making under 150k. A family of 4 making under 120k a year in SF is considered poverty level these days. 

Also, I tend not to put as much onus on the senators of a state for its issues. They are a bit distanced from it. They have no say over the state budget and where money is applied. The state government really should be given the blame or credit if we are fair. And California has had a mix of both Democrat and Republican governors over the years. The state legislature is often red as well but there is more than enough blame to be shared by both parties if you look at all. 

Regarding Coss's question on insurance, and a follow up to CS's comments (that I agree with).  The insurance companies ( a personal hate) always end up in good shape.  Large claims paid out, simply bump premiums to everyone else.  California has earthquake insurance, very expensive.

I never purchased the insurance since in most all disasters such as hurricanes, and earthquakes, the Federal government offered very low cost loans.  During past natural disasters the government has, I imagine, paid out considerable amounts (I'm sure the amounts are available somewhere on the net) but no real effects to the markets.  Perhaps because they are viewed as loans the market guru's discount them?

7 hours ago, migrant said:

I lived, on and off, in California for around 15 years mostly in the southern areas, LA and Orange county.  I remember working in LA in the very early 80's and seeing homeless camps at that time.  Now there seem to be quite a few.   

1966 -1999 California had all Republican governors except from 1974 to 1978. I think we can all agree by 1999 California had already been irrevocably fucked. I am not saying it was because of the Republicans, both parties share the blame and we can argue who gets the lion share but I am saying that the narrative of Democrats solely wrecking a once great state that is prevalent today is total bullshit. 

I'm not saying the Democrats wrecked the state either. Republican Goodie Knight was governor when my family moved there, but I remember mostly Pat Brown as governor (1959-1967), and then Republican Reagan was followed by Gerry Brown (1973-1985). Since then the governor's office has largely alternated between the two parties. I grew up in a solidly Democrat family, though my father and I later became independents.

But just whose job is it to take care of the homeless? Why haven't any of Hollywood's liberal stars taken up their cause? Their expectation always seems to be that the Federal government should do so. Why? It's happening inside the state and is not under any of the powers granted to the Feds by the Constitution. California, clean up your own mess. Instead of declaring sanctuary cities for illegals, how about doing something those people in trouble who have every right to be there? Take care of your own first, and then you can think about helping others. That's just common sense.

But are the homeless actual CA residents or have they gravitated to CA under the auspices of “If I am going to be homeless may as well be homeless with decent weather”

In the UK there is a greater homeless situation within the larger cities but many of the homeless are outsiders who are drawn towards the “Bright Lights and Big City” scenario.

Also in the UK there is the folklore about Dick Whittington, still acted out as popular pantomime every Christmas, set in the early 1400’s th tale of a man drawn to London because “The Streets were paved with Gold” 

Australia also has  migrant homeless migration, many from the colder Southern states come to Queensland, ironic that rich retirees and homeless from the same states end up in the same coastal towns and cities. After all, if you are going to sleep on a sleep, it may as well be warm.

When I was in Hawaii at beginning of the year, I saw small tent towns over quite a few hundreds of homeless, who apparently had come from the mainland 

MPIH

MANURE aka huMAN natURE, as a retiree you go to a place with clement climate and more “Bangs per Buck” so why should not unemployed or homeless do the same. Dick Whittington syndrome for the later.

In the UK they are “Farming Out” the unemployed to failing Seaside resorts such as Blackpool and Morecambe (in the North West) filling up redunadant guest houses in towns of no hope. Alcoholism is above national average, drug addiction is off th scale etc well what do they expect wnen they farm people out to places with no employment and no future unless you happen to be a corenor or an undertaker.

Some people would prefer to give it a chance on the streets in a vibrant city than than to basically be condemned to a modern day death camp.

Homelessness is proportional to opportunities IMHO i.e. if I was homeless I would chose to be homeless in a City/State with a higher probability of working myself out of the situation hence the reason why cities/States are castigated for the homeless situation which only exists due to their success to begin with.

Classic “Chicken and Egg” dilemma which was the cause and which was the effect of the scenario of infinite regress, a question posed by Plutarch in his 1AD writings “”The Symposiacs” 

Bollox  from US homeless to Greek Philosphers in 5 paragraphs haha.  Must try harder!

19 hours ago, Flashermac said:

I'm not saying the Democrats wrecked the state either. Republican Goodie Knight was governor when my family moved there, but I remember mostly Pat Brown as governor (1959-1967), and then Republican Reagan was followed by Gerry Brown (1973-1985). Since then the governor's office has largely alternated between the two parties. I grew up in a solidly Democrat family, though my father and I later became independents.

But just whose job is it to take care of the homeless? Why haven't any of Hollywood's liberal stars taken up their cause? Their expectation always seems to be that the Federal government should do so. Why? It's happening inside the state and is not under any of the powers granted to the Feds by the Constitution. California, clean up your own mess. Instead of declaring sanctuary cities for illegals, how about doing something those people in trouble who have every right to be there? Take care of your own first, and then you can think about helping others. That's just common sense.

Didn't mean to imply you were making that claim. Apologies for my lack of clarity. I meant it generally. Its a huge state. What happens in Los Angeles, Santa Monica and SF is what forms the reputation and stereotype of the state. My older brother lives just outside of Modesto and you'd think it was a Trump town in Oklahoma. Extremely right of center. 

LA just banned plastic straws from being offered arbitrarily. You have to request it. Stuff like that gives California its reputation. West Hollywood has a law that says on pet issues, documentation, etc, pet owners are to listed as pet guardian because ownership implies slavery and the pet has no rights. Not sure if I should feel a little insulted as a black guy...hahaha...but oh well, West Hollywood is a gay enclove and very, very left of center.