Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

2 hours ago, cavanami said:

Justice Roberts has been corrupted, IMO. He should have recused himself from cases but he did not. Word is, someone has incriminating
evidence on him....

What circuit has the highest number of rulings of theirs overturned...9th! with a whooping 79% of their rulings overturned!

What job can you have with a 79% failure rate and not get sacked? answer: 9th circuit!

Fake News.  

On first glance you would think that a overturn % that high is bad (and actually the 9th Circuits percentage is only 3rd highest over the last few years) - but when you actually look behind the spin - the Supreme Court normally only takes cases that they find it likely to be overturned - the court is not there to affirm the lower courts.

Just saying.....  Don't want to get involved in using actual facts to make a decision - much easier just to go with your own reasoning. Right? 

10 hours ago, Pom Michael said:

Fake News.  

On first glance you would think that a overturn % that high is bad (and actually the 9th Circuits percentage is only 3rd highest over the last few years) - but when you actually look behind the spin - the Supreme Court normally only takes cases that they find it likely to be overturned - the court is not there to affirm the lower courts.

Just saying.....  Don't want to get involved in using actual facts to make a decision - much easier just to go with your own reasoning. Right? 

reasoning?

The use of that word implies reason.

On balance, I will say this. The economic expansion after the recession during the Obama years was totally propped up. We stopped what was looking like a depression (30 percent downturn) basically by spending our tax dollars (in the trillions) to economically support corporations. Including Wall Street who got it all started in the first place. The breadth of quality jobs never really came back after 2008. People were getting jobs but there were grossly under employed. The unemployment numbers under Obama was a lie. But Obama was using the same unemployment accounting that he inherited from Bush and so forth. So, the Obama recovery was really a lie to some extent. We recovered but it was at great expense to the deficit. Was it necessary? You can argue both ways. The Republicans wanted to let the car industry die from its own bad management. Obama saved it with our tax dollars and I think it was a good call. I think Wall Street should have been left on its own and come of their employees go to jail along with rating agencies who classified toxic investments as investment grade. 

During his campaign, Trump called it right about the numbers. I will grant him that. However, once he took over, he forgot all that and started taking credit for the same numbers Obama reported. These numbers (unemployment, etc.) were already going down (or up depending on the stat) and looked good on paper but were not economically sound. 

His tax cuts as the video says, what these guys are saying is a complete an utter lie. The corporate tax cut was NOT spent on new machinery, etc. The companies were already making money. Companies got millions and sometimes billions from a rising stock market where their own stock saw a huge rise from the recession so money wasn't an issue. The rise in companies stock meant they had the capital for new investments in machinery and hiring. They didn't do that, or at least to a great extent. The CEOs and senior management made money on their stock options and so they simply re-invested profits back into buying back their own company's stock. A lot of this money was put overseas there were a lot of American companies who changed their domicile registration off shore in order to pay no or little taxes. They were making money but it was pure greed. 

They did the same with the recent tax cuts. They bought back their own stock and although they did a token pay increase as a bonus (NOT an increase in salary, because that is permanent) to fool the American people. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/now-we-know-how-major-corporations-are-spending-tax-cuts.html

The bump in GDP was because the tax cut was spent on repurchasing of stock at a far higher rate it was done before the tax cut. It had NOTHING to do with increase in investment in their core business. This is a house of cards. The debt expanded massively under Obama and its growing at a faster rate under Trump. 

The sky is falling. And there is pretty much a consensus by financiers and non partisan investors that it will happen by late 2019 or into 2020. 

Supreme Court likely to rack up more reversals for West Coast's 9th Circuit

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/3/supreme-court-rack-9th-circuit-reversals/

The federal appeals court that covers the country’s West Coast is doing little to shake its reputation as the most out-of-touch circuit, already having notched seven cases that have been reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court so far this year and 115 over the past decade.

As the justices prepare to release final rulings in 29 cases, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit again will be in the spotlight with some of its major cases, such as President Trump’s travel ban, up for review — and potential reversal — by the high court.

But as bad as the 9th Circuit’s record is, it’s losing percentage — 78 percent so far this year and 76 percent for the past decade — still isn’t the worst.

That honor goes to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, based in Ohio. Nearly 90 percent of its cases that reached the Supreme Court have been overturned in the past decade.

The 11th Circuit, based in Atlanta, is next-worst with a 78 percent reversal rate, followed by the 9th Circuit.

I was very supportive of Obama's candidacy in 2008. I was lukewarm in 2012. Lesser of two evils. By the end of his 2nd term, I was pretty much done and had a negative view of him for a variety of reasons. But I rated him above Hillary and Trump. 

I'd like to think I'm a student of history and as such, I probably have a far higher standard of a president than most. So, I've actually held previous presidents in lower esteem. 

Comparing him to others n the modern era (hmm...lets say since the '60s), I have him rated fairly high. I have a question for those who dislike (or even hate Obama), name all the presidents you consider better than him (in context...domestic, foreign policy, economy, as well as the subjective things that goes in to bein a president...leader, etc.) since...hmmm...1960?