Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

16 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

A few things. I'm curious to know from Coss and other non Americans or Americans who have first or second hand knowledge, the affordability of university in other industrialized nations. ...

My 10¢ worth.

I only lasted a year at Uni, in 1981, fees were $60, text books ~$300, for a BSc, stage one.

These days they've gone down the student "loan" path and people leave with $20,000~$80,000 debts. S'posed to be paid off interest free, at a minimal amount over many years. Some people go overseas and set up there and 'forget' the debt.

But there's a growing trend for what are now "called" universities but used to be technical colleges, to offer cheap or free education. Invercargill's Southern Institute of Technology,  is at the bottom end of NZ and theretofore the world, and offers $0 fees to it's students.

Also 'Fees Free' is a Government initiative available to any NZ student who is in their first year of tertiary study. so there's a good start.

I was gonna be a Marine Biologist, but at the time there were no jobs for such, so I went another path, now Marine Biologists are minor deities.

Couple of days ago Mr. Steve published his analysis that within foreseeable time the EU as a whole and Germany in particular would implode in whatever ways. Til that happens, cost for universities in Germany looks as follows :

1 year : 2 terms . Each term 100 to 250 € depending on local state laws for German and EU students . Foreign students 1500 € / term .Private universities charge as they like up to 20.000 € / year but they are  unpopular and do not necessarily offer higher quality.

President Donald is also a university expert, he did even pay 25 million fees back to students who felt somewhat bad after signing up.

Him good heart.

The tag of California being a liberal bastion is true in some sense but to blame it for its economic failure is tough to prove given that from 1967 to 1999, a time period that most can agree has seen California go from a great, economically viable state to a state that by all accounts is on decline and getting worse. During that time period, California has all Republican governors except the years 1975-1983 (the Jerry Brown years), in fact it was a red state in Presidential elections until the early 90s. The state gave us Nixon and Reagan as well as. 

The California university system was the envy of the nation and according to my uncle who lived there since the end of the Korean war (and a Republican), the Republicans in the state gutted the University of California system financially to fund other things as well as to punish schools like Berkeley, UCLA for being too liberal. 

The above post was written 2 days ago and I thought it was posted but it "reappeared when I clicked the "reply to this post' tab. Not sure what happened. Its dated and I don't know what happened but here it is..or here it was, as it were. 

Anyway, with regards to the Department of Defense "losing" 10 trillion dollars. I would disagree it's lost. That money went where it was supposed to go. Lining pockets of people and companies who knew they would not be made accountable for it. 

https://www.mintpressnews.com/department-defense-loses-track-10-trillion/226307/?fbclid=IwAR2ro757bMw_DeQK6nUIphSKSjqdLQO5Dxhpe8zQJTgJrWnlG7fseOpQDFg