Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Sitting Republican openly interrupted the state of the union and called Obama a liar and nothing happened to him. No censure, no nothing. I'm trying to be balanced. The current breakdown of cordiality and respect on both sides isn't new. It has a history. 

And it's a little hypocritical in this day when the standard of conduct from the top (President) includes words like bastards, sons of bitches, shit-hole, etc. The Republicans were bringing people to the state of the union address who had made disparaging remarks. Ted Nugent has called Obama every word except the N bomb (mongrel, etc.) and he's invited on Fox News, courted by GOP elected officials. 

That's the climate and accepted standard of dialog, so motherfucker isn't shocking with the way things are these days, in fact, had Trump said it, it would be defended. There were things some Democrats said about Dubya that crossed the line of impropriety, before Bush, there were all kinds of things that crossed the line in terms of impropriety and lack of respect for the office directed at Clinton. 

I don't like any of it, but if we are going denounce one, we have apply it to all. There are no standards anymore. That lack has a history and has culminated with the election of someone who has NO standard. 

I am always very worried and aware of abuses of power by the government. Trump's suggestion he may make building the wall a 'national emergency' is an abuse of power. One of my biggest criticisms of Obama was the extra judicial killings of American citizens abroad. As much as I loved seeing Americans who joined terrorist groups killed, its tempered by the fact they were American citizens and had the right to stand trial. I think what Obama did was completely illegal and unconstitutional and the Democrats should have done more to reign him in and the Republicans didn't do anything at all because they approve of those measures and would do it themselves and I assume it's continuing under Trump if Obama hasn't gotten all of them yet. 

So, trying to be fair and balanced (not the Fox News version...haha) and call it as it happens. What is hypocritical is that Trump and conservatives were saying the same about Obama with regards to executive orders and such and Trump has been doing the same. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-invoke-emergency-powers-build-wall-without-congress-234959275.html

He did, she did...gets the USA no where. The US government needs to implement solutions but this constant bickering is a distraction from solutions!

Someone, one of the parties has to step up and promote solutions.

Now is the time for the Dems to step up, show that they offer solutions, not obstructions. Where is their candidate for 2020?what is their platform? and we hate Trump is no platform!!!

The Dems have the house....let's see some solutions brought forward or are we in for two years of, we hate Trump, impeach Trump, etc

• Like 1

This is implying the Republicans had no solutions either. They had control of all branches of government, with the Supreme court now having a conservative slant. Both parties are at fault and neither party will be adult about it. Both are paid by the same groups to some extent (Wall Street, rich donors, etc.).

Until the money is out of politics nothing will happen and that won't happen because there is no demand from the average voters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

This is implying the Republicans had no solutions either. They had control of all branches of government, with the Supreme court now having a conservative slant. Both parties are at fault and neither party will be adult about it. Both are paid by the same groups to some extent (Wall Street, rich donors, etc.).

Until the money is out of politics nothing will happen and that won't happen because there is no demand from the average voters. 

Agree. Need the "donations" out of politics!

If the money is not taken out of politics, then we will remain with electing the least of the two evils, where we are now.

A record number of Americans want to leave the country. To be fair to Trump, this has been rising in recent years, such as Obama's presidency and I don't think who is President is only a tertiary reason. Fact is, America is becoming harder to live in. Any American who has lived overseas for some time sees that instantly. Doesn't matter if you lived in SE Asia, Europe or South America. Life seems to be easier, less expensive pretty much anywhere. The super rich have been giving up citizenship and leaving for a while now. Others have moved to Puerto Rico so they can enjoy the benefits of that "little blue book" and avoid federal taxes. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/record-breaking-number-americans-want-074047451.html

At least it's a start.

Sen. Ted Cruz, Rep. Francis Rooney Introduce Constitutional Amendment Imposing Term Limits On Congress

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and Representative Francis Rooney of Florida on Thursday introduced a possible amendment to the United States Constitution that would impose term limits on members of Congress.

However, even that could be delayed because of the current government shutdown.

The amendment calls for a limit of three, two-year terms in the House of Representatives and two, six-year terms in the Senate.

Of course, this means someone could serve 18 years in the United States Congress, in addition to any other offices held, like governor, state senate or even President of the United States of America.

This wouldn’t wipe out career politicians, but it would certainly limit their capacity on a federal level — sans appointed judges.

Cruz, who just won a second term over Democrat challenger Beto O’Rourke in a highly-watched Senate race, said long-term politicians have “abused their power” and “created a brokenness” in Washington.

Cruz even urged his Republican mates to get ratification to the states as soon as possible.

“For too long, members of Congress have abused their power and ignored the will of the American people,” Cruz said in a statement.

“Term limits on members of Congress offer a solution to the brokenness we see in Washington, D.C. It is long past time for Congress to hold itself accountable. I urge my colleagues to submit this constitutional amendment to the states for speedy ratification.”

https://www.newsweek.com/sen-ted-cruz-rep-francis-rooney-introduce-constitutional-amendment-imposing-1279070?fbclid=IwAR04zncY4fovWNXUBT7UtxuR2T50NBhfBGwAYsgw78S0duABWejwWEHKUfM

Term limits are a great start but it doesn't completely solve the problem. States that have term limits, what we found is that its musical chairs. A person is a state senator, termed out, he runs for state representative or mayor. Wins because he has name recognition and a machine behind him he built up as state senator. Person is a mayor, termed out, runs for state rep or senator. And it's musical chairs, rarely any new blood. Backroom deals say you run for this while I run for that, you are termed out, so....

Obama got the ire of the Chicago alderman game because he ran for office when it wasn't "his turn". People don't know this but he was initially not supported by any of the black pols in Chicago nor by the Congressional Black Caucus, the latter supported Hillary initially until they couldn't afford to politically. 

Anyway, term limits help, but we also need other laws, such as working for the industry you regulated. FDA (Food and Drug Admin) head will often get a job for Merck or big Pharma...heck, the head of it often comes from big Pharma. 

Politicians need you to vote them into office but they only listen to the ones that paid for the campaign to get your vote. 

• Like 1