Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

The DA in Chicago is one degree separation from a person who worked in Michelle Obama's staff. Michelle Obama has no connection whatsoever to the case herself. No one has even hinted at it. What we have in the Smollett dismissal is someone with a name asking for a favor from a DA. 

Is it right? Absolutely not. Is it unusual? Absolutely not. In fact I'd say its the norm. In LA where I lived for years, there is a reason why people like Robert Downey Jr wasn't in jail for 10 years as any regular citizen in LA after all the drug arrests. Los Angeles and NYC DA's do these types of things regularly. Chicago probably does for all manner of people. In fact, I'm positive. Smollett is a normal thing. 

The question is why Trump feels the need to literally make a federal case out of this one specifically and not the many others that occur routinely? Simple answer is Smollett used his MAGA hat and this is a personal vendetta for Trump. I get that. But like other Presidents and powerful people in office you roll with the punches and don't tie up government resources for personal retribution.

Harvey Weinstein is no where near a jail. Why? Because he still maintained enough influence with friends and associates to keep him out of jail. 

Again, sadly ,the Smollett matter is the norm. But I try to be fair and arbitrary prosecution for him and not for any one else smells of something else. And Rahm Emmanuel has a bit of a hypocrisy problem when the previous DA who was a political ally helped keep a cop from being indicted when he was on camera shooting an unarmed man and Emmanuel was intimately involved in the process. This DA is a result of the blowback from that. She got in because previous one was a wee bit corrupt even by Chicago's history of low standards. 

The Smollett case involved a lot of wasted police man hours and such. In the big scope of things where DAs are letting off drug related crime, even murder, I'm not outraged by it. I suspect Smollett had the dual "benefit" of being friends with Democratically connected Blacks as well as the famous "gay mafia" of Hollywood. Both of those forces fighting for you, you can't lose. 

2 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

The question is why Trump feels the need to literally make a federal case out of this one specifically and not the many others that occur routinely? Simple answer is Smollett used his MAGA hat and this is a personal vendetta for Trump.

I wouldn't normally opine this way, but my feeling is that Trump is also having a go because Smollett is Black and Gay.

3 hours ago, Coss said:

I wouldn't normally opine this way, but my feeling is that Trump is also having a go because Smollett is Black and Gay.

'Empire' the tv show Smollett stars films in two locations. Los Angeles and guess where? Chicago. It's a very popular show and part of the various reasons he's getting off lightly I think is because of the money it generates for the city. The mayor may not want to admit it but I'm sure that fact also plays a part. 

What I am happy about it is it was not true. Of course I don't like the fact he was stupid enough to stage it, but had it been true, that would have been worse. 

Trump held a rally in Michigan in the wake of what he calls his "complete and total exoneration" by William Barr's summary of Mueller's investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia. "After three years of lies and smears and slander, the Russia hoax is finally dead," Trump told the crowd. "The collusion delusion is over."

(New York Times / NBC News / Politico / Mediaite) Use Mr Google

So let's see this report. Cav?  Where's the report, why is Trump hiding it?