Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

12 hours ago, Coss said:

The Donald Thinks D-Day Is About Him

To have Trump commemorate the Normandy landings is to understand the word impostor.

-----

PARIS — How small he is! Small in spirit, in valor, in dignity, in statecraft, this American president who knows nothing of history and cares still less and now bestrides Europe with his family in tow like some tin-pot dictator with a terrified entourage.

To have Donald Trump — the bone-spur evader of the Vietnam draft, the coddler of autocrats, the would-be destroyer of the European Union, the pay-up-now denigrator of NATO, the apologist for the white supremacists of Charlottesville — commemorate the boys from Kansas City and St. Paul who gave their lives for freedom is to understand the word impostor. You can’t make a sculpture from rotten wood.

It’s worth saying again. If Europe is whole and free and at peace, it’s because of NATO and the European Union; it’s because the United States became a European power after World War II; it’s because America’s word was a solemn pledge; it’s because that word cemented alliances that were not zero-sum games but the foundation for stability and prosperity on both sides of the Atlantic.

Of this, Trump understands nothing. Therefore he cannot comprehend the sacrifice at Omaha Beach 75 years ago. He cannot see that the postwar trans-Atlantic achievement — undergirded by the institutions and alliances he tramples upon with such crass truculence — was in fact the vindication of those young men who gave everything.

As Eisenhower, speaking at the Normandy American Cemetery, last resting place of 9,387 Americans, told Walter Cronkite for the 20th anniversary of the D-Day landings: “These people gave us a chance, and they bought time for us, so that we can do better than we have before.”

That was a solemn responsibility. For decades it was met, culminating with the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Doing better, however, is not rising nativism, xenophobia, nationalism and authoritarianism given a nod and a wink by the president of the United States. It’s not Brexit, Britain turning its back on the Europe it helped free.

The American moral collapse personified by Trump is not “beautiful” or “phenomenal” or “incredible” or any of the president’s other clunky two-a-penny superlatives. It’s sickening and dangerous.

My impression here is that Europe has gotten used to Trump to the point that it is no longer strange that the American president is a stranger. In less than two and a half years Trump has stripped his office of dignity, authority and values.

His foreign policy increasingly consists of a single word, “tariffs.” His contempt for allies undermines American diplomacy, or whatever is left of it, from Iran to North Korea, from Venezuela to China. His trampling of truth is so consistent that when he says in London that Britain is the largest trading partner of the United States — it’s nowhere near that — the impulse is to shrug.

Before arriving in London, Trump set the tone. He mocked the city’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, as short. It was a tweet in keeping with the president’s signature stunt as schoolyard bully. Khan, who had criticized “rolling out the red carpet” for Trump, responded by comparing the president to an 11-year-old.

This was generous. Most 8-year-olds know better.

Of course Khan — the brown Muslim son of a bus driver, self-made guy — would get under the skin of a man like Trump, who was born on third base and imbibed his reflexive racism in the family real estate business.

Khan called Trump’s policies — on the reproductive rights of women, on immigrant children at the Mexican border, on “amplifying messages from racists” — the antithesis of Londoners’ values and “abhorrent.” In response, Trump tweeted that Khan was as bad as the “very dumb” New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, “only half his height.”

There is something so disturbing about a very small man like Trump impugning the height of the mayor of the great international city he is visiting that even 28 months of progressive inurement to his outrages feels inadequate.

America is much better than this, much better than an American president who, as the cartoonist Dave Granlund suggested, probably thinks the D in D-Day stands for Donald and spends the night of the commemoration trashing Bette Midler on Twitter.

As for the Republican Party, don’t get me started. To recover its bearings the G.O.P. would do well to recall one of its own, Eisenhower, who in that same 20th-anniversary interview said that America and its allies stormed the Normandy beaches “for one purpose only.”

It was not to “fulfill any ambitions that America had for conquest.” No, it was “just to preserve freedom, systems of self-government in the world.” It was an act, in other words, consistent with the highest ideals of the American idea that Trump and his Republican enablers seem so intent on eviscerating.

https://www.nytimes.com

What an absolute pile of crap from the NYT. They didn't say anything when draft dodger Billie Clinton was photographed on the beach at Normandy making little stone crosses for the press. Ah, but the skirt chaser from Arkansas was a Democrat. That means it was all right.

p.s. Sadiq Khan deserves mocking. 

61886022_3238809736144655_8057778110981996544_n.jpg

Flash my dear chap, you are starting to get binary. "What about Clinton"?

Again, criticism of Trump, is not Anti Republican and Pro Democrat. It's criticism of a Yokel in an ill-fitting suit and a penchant for painting things with cheap gold paint. And golden showers.

I seem to remember that Bill got and would have got here, a whole lot of criticism and attention for his miss deeds.

I'm an equal opportunity criticiser, I think Trump is execrable, not from a democrat stance, but from the humanist point of view. That the dems also think Trump is steaming pile of orange shit, that most republicans are too scared to, is neither here nor there.

There are Buddhists, Taoists and adherents of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster who criticise Trump. For most, it's about the suitability of the individual, to hold the office.

Say what you like about the Bushes, Bill, Obama, Reagan, Ford, etc, at least they were all fit for office.

Flash, because I know you to be a fellow of intellect, may I suggest, you have a look at today's offerings at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com  and perhaps then, you can tell me if you think that Trump is suitable for purpose (President of the USA)

4 hours ago, Coss said:

Flash, because I know you to be a fellow of intellect, may I suggest, you have a look at today's offerings at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com  and perhaps then, you can tell me if you think that Trump is suitable for purpose (President of the USA)

At the moment, Trump happens to be the best president we've got.  :huh:

p.s.

Trump’s UK Visit Was a Glowing Success

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/06/06/trumps-uk-visit-was-a-glowing-success/?fbclid=IwAR0jsT7_kGbyk_XwJjJnc3TiMHin_2pUEujSH3XLuPBBlplGYrYLcHbLGxk

Whatever ...

I'll concur with the sentiment that the Tump family outing was, for them, a success. My cynical view, is that he stayed on script, mostly reading from a physical copy of it. Excepting for his twits, "Mars of which the moon is a part", he dun dint f*ck up.

You missed a great story ,on the dailysignal.com site you referenced, "Nearly Mile-Long Artwork Bible Unfurled on National Mall"  https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/06/07/nearly-mile-long-artwork-bible-unfurled-on-national-mall/

tee hee.

Mueller Caught In Another Deception; Key ‘Russia Link’ Exposed As Informant For US, Ukraine

“A few more such errors and omissions, and Americans may begin to wonder if the Mueller report is worth the paper on which it was printed.” 

A Ukrainian businessman painted in the Mueller report as a sinister link to Russia was actually a “sensitive” intelligence source for the US State Department who informed on Ukrainian and Russian issues – and passed messages between the Washington and Kiev, according to The Hill‘s John Solomon.

Konstantin Kilimnik, who worked for Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, was described on page 6 of the Mueller report as having “ties to Russian intelligence” – and was cast in a sinister light as a potential threat to democracy. Mueller completely omitted the fact that Kilimnik was working as an informant and intermediary between America and Ukraine, and subsequently indicted him for obstruction of justice.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-07/mueller-caught-another-deception-manaforts-russia-link-was-informant-us-state

I know this will piss Coos off, but since when have I cared whom I piss off.

i like Trump, I did not say agree or disagree with his policies, I keep my political agenda to myself, but as a politician he is a breath of fresh air “He does what it says on the Tin” If America don’t like him (America not New Zealand) then Democracy allows America to elect an alternative via the ballot box and not threats of impeachment.

Ruffles feathers, gets under the skin or up the nose, and pisses people off, he can’t be faulted and the fact he likes Nigel Farange puts him up there.