Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Gentlemen,

Mr Cavanami should be excited to hear that I fully agree with President Donald on one thing and that is how he treats the Peoples Republic of China.Yesterday he agreed to sell a load of warplanes to Taiwan and also the tariff increases show the Chinamen that they are vulnerable . Velly goos. My joy would be complete if only he would also let his countrymen know that they are the ones who pay the higher tariffs and the US farmers pay the price for  Chinese sanctions. And then again the subsidies for the farmers are taken from the taxpayer.

Another nice move was to complain about Jewish people not to vote Republican although he claims to have done a lot for Israel. Because it shows how he is thinking: I give you something and if you don´t love me accordingly you are an idiot.

Third and last the Greenland purchase project. Til yesterday I was willing to think that the biased communist press just promoted some rumour to hurt the President but now he did even cancel a state visit because the Danes don´t sell. What a truely unbelievable story. The man needs treatment for his brain. Many people not seriously worried any more because it has become normal.

Although I have to add that the  US punters lost a big opprtunity to upgrade their social standing within the Thai bargirl community; I may remind the board of poster ricscurrs piece 17 years ago proposing to use the unspoilt image of Greenland answering " Whereyoucomeflomm" by  " I am man from Greenland " , now even supported by suitable passport. A chance has been lost.

Bubi

- political analyst -

Bubi, I saw someone on the world stage, describe the Trump Presidency as, "a Mel Brooks movie".

And as one of the latest examples of the lunacy ::

Trump says he wanted to give himself Medal of Honor
At the event in Louisville, Kentucky, Trump singled out for praise WWII veteran and Medal of Honor recipient Woody Williams.  “Thank you, Woody. You’re looking good, Woody. Woody’s looking good,” Trump said.  “That was a big day, Medal of Honor. Nothing like the Medal of Honor,” he continued. “I wanted one, but they told me I don't qualify, Woody. I said, 'Can I give it to myself anyway?' 
The president’s assessment that he should receive the nation’s highest award for acts of military valor followed his statement earlier Wednesday afternoon that he is “the chosen one” in relation to his administration’s trade conflict with China — a proclamation he turned to the sky to deliver.  Trump never served in the military and was granted five draft deferments — four for college and one for bone spurs in his heel.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/21/donald-trump-give-himself-medal-of-honor-1470950

On 8/21/2019 at 11:46 PM, buffalo_bill said:

Gentlemen,

Mr Cavanami should be excited to hear that I fully agree with President Donald on one thing and that is how he treats the Peoples Republic of China.Yesterday he agreed to sell a load of warplanes to Taiwan and also the tariff increases show the Chinamen that they are vulnerable . Velly goos. My joy would be complete if only he would also let his countrymen know that they are the ones who pay the higher tariffs and the US farmers pay the price for  Chinese sanctions. And then again the subsidies for the farmers are taken from the taxpayer.

Third and last the Greenland purchase project. Til yesterday I was willing to think that the biased communist press just promoted some rumour to hurt the President but now he did even cancel a state visit because the Danes don´t sell. What a truely unbelievable story. The man needs treatment for his brain. Many people not seriously worried any more because it has become normal.

Although I have to add that the  US punters lost a big opprtunity to upgrade their social standing within the Thai bargirl community; I may remind the board of poster ricscurrs piece 17 years ago proposing to use the unspoilt image of Greenland answering " Whereyoucomeflomm" by  " I am man from Greenland " , now even supported by suitable passport. A chance has been lost.

Bubi

- political analyst -

President Truman tried to buy Greenland in 1946, but the ungrateful  Danes (after all, we'd just liberated their country from Adolf) refused to sell!  :nono:   Maybe Trump thought he'd be luckier. They'd sold the Danish West Indies to Woodrow Wilson in 1917, and hadn't consulted  the wishes of the inhabitants.  But no, those greedy folks with their  AEbleskivver said no again!  :susel:

This means WAR!  

I actually agree with Trump about being tough with trade with China, from currency manipulation to trade imbalances. Pretty much every candidate gives it lip service. Where he has gone wrong is not seeming to have a well thought out strategy. My guess and this is based on observation we all see as well as what we can gleam from insiders close to him is that he is a big picture guy and just says 'do it' and wants it done. The 'smart' thing to do is to gather economists, intellectuals well versed in Chinese politics and business , and have a committee on how to best address the issue. The effect on farmers would likely have been thought of an addressed. Thats my main issue. Some ideas good but an inability to execute a well researched plan. 

Other issues I vehemently disagree with. No one wants open borders but having Stephen Miller, who by any measure is a fringe right bigot being the main adviser for immigration won't have many supporting the strategy when it appears that the immigration policy is directed to stop or limit non white immigrants (shit hole nations comment, etc). Pretty much impossible for me to go along with that for obvious reasons.

As for Greenland, like our other purchases of territories like Alaska for example there was a debate about it. The pros and cons. The interest in purchasing Greenland is out of the blue and I originally thought it was a joke.  

As for military aid to Taiwan, frankly too little too late. If China decides to blockade Taiwan and force submission, no one, including the U.S. will stand up militarily. The most that will happen is an attempt to politically isolate China and that won't be effective because China is now too big economically to be isolated in such a way. America realized that for itself decades ago. Kick China out of the G8? Good luck when all the countries in it rely on them for trade. Just like how the USSR realized that America was willing to risk war that could go nuclear over Cuba, so is China with relation to Taiwan (and HK). They are willing to go to war over it. America won't. They know that. 

The comments about American Jews voting patterns, etc, and a myriad of comments such as openly telling a foreign nation not to allow sitting members of Congress to enter is beyond the pale. The office of the President has hit some unprecedented lows in terms of respect for the office and conduct of the commander in Chief. The standards for conduct has taken a huge blow and has lowered the standard and it opens it up for a future far left President to do likewise and we can't complain when or if that happens. Had Obama or any other President conducted themselves in the same manner we'd rightly vociferously object and the sad fact of the matter and state of affairs is had prior Presidents acted as such, their own party would abandon them. The fact is Trump's base are emboldened by it and its selfish. Had the person I voted for acted in that manner I'd be among the first to say change him or her for re-election. 

I'm a student of history. When countries who lead their era start having leaders of this ilk its a sure sign of the end of that country's leadership and role. The Romans started having Caesars that were half crazed and shortly thereafter the Goths, and other European tribes were sacking Rome. 

America is done. Stick a fork in us. I don't see us coming back. And when or if we try it will be too late. 

Wot you said, Steve - as every one knows, I think in more simple terms, I react to the clown's antics

and here are some of the latest jaw droppers...

Trump called the Federal Reserve chairman an "enemy" of the United States

China will retaliate with tariffs on $75 billion more of U.S. goods

Trump "hereby ordered" U.S. companies via Twitter to leave China "immediately"

The Dow dropped more than 600 points after Trump ordered U.S. manufacturers to find alternatives to China.

Trump joked that the stock market dropped because Rep. Seth Moulton dropped out of the presidential race. Moulton, meanwhile, reacted to Trump's tweet, saying "I'm glad he thinks I have more influence on the Dow than he does."

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com

"America is done. Stick a fork in us. I don't see us coming back. And when or if we try it will be too late. "

I think if we go back and look at our earlier posts on this topic, in this thread, we'll find quite a few, where you and I were discussing the fall of the Roman Empire :)

And that perennial cliched quote :: “Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.” purportedly from Churchill.

I do forex on the side and I do very well, waiting for the stock market to go up and then putting in sell trades because at some point, he says something or does something that sends the market down a lot. What some call a 'flash crash' where the market will drop sharply for a day or so that happened on Friday when the Chinese retaliated. I made 1500 bux on the S&P dropping and gold going up over 30 dollars an ounce. My friends accuse me of betting against the country but I counter, I am just reacting to what the reality is. Back in 2017 I was making decent money riding the market up through January of 2018. 

The big, long term issue for me is the dignity of the office of the Presidency. There is a certain way you carry yourself out of respect for the office and that standard is gone. Its not about politics or ideology. Had Obama or whomever done similar things that disrespected the office, I'd have been as upset. Even if he was successful. You can't expect the people, especially young people and the rest of the world to respect us if we don't respect our highest office. 

Again, I agree with Trump on China. Its HOW he is doing it is, haphazzard, no sign it was a well thought out plan. Other things I totally disagree on. Just like with Obama. I am not a Democrat. I try and call it as I see it. I was vehemently against Obama performing ex judicial killings of Americans via drone strikes. A precedent that opens all citizens up to the normalization of detain without cause up to and including murder, that may eventually be done within the border. Among other things that I had I known he was like, I would have reconsidered support. 

This is not going to go down well, but the best thing for us to do and there is no political will to be honest about this and do it, is to deflate these bubbles in a managed way. We are nursing huge bubbles that when it pops will be far, far more damaging to the country (and globally) economically and mentally if not dealt with. I'm amazed the economy has lasted this long frankly. Unlike 2008, we have multiple bubbles of 1.5 trillion or higher each  in student loans, car loans, credit card loans, corporate loans, housing bubble, the stock market is artificially high. The wise and humane thing to do is deflate it in an organized, well thought out way that will reduce the pain as best we can than have a 2008 type crash that is a shock to the system and leaving people homeless, jobless with no prospects. Doing it in an organized way is still going to be painful. A self induced recession which sounds crazy but if we look at the systemic and endemic issues in the economy a crash of massive proportions is going to happen. Its a matter of when not if. Its like if you individually have all sorts of bills that you are living paycheck to paycheck, weeks or months behind in all your bills, car, mortgage, credit card, etc and at some point by putting your head in the sand, you get laid off and lose it all and end up homeless instead of identifying it and taking steps such as cutting back on spending, going to each creditor and letting them know your situation and work out a plan, maybe you rent out a room in your home, maybe you give up your car and take public transport or uber, whatever, but you plan.

That's what America has to do. That's what a lot of countries should be doing. The best course of action is for leadership of both parties meeting and saying, lets put politics aside, and come up with plans we can both agree on, that we agree not to attack each other on and not to take credit for. I mentioned before there were big projects that America worked on that was above politics. Most recently the building of the interstate highway system in the '50s and putting a man on the moon in the '60s and making the long term health of the economy a non partisan plan. We really don't realize how big this next crash will be. The experts I listen to, independent, respected, people are worried. People I've followed, sober minded, not tin foil hat types. People like Peter Schiff for example or Jeffrey Gundlach  as an example. Schiff actually supported Trump on purely economic terms during the campaign and is now on of his biggest critics. Trump was right during the election that the official unemployment rate that was dropping during the Obama years were part of stats (formulated before Obama was in office) that juiced the stats. People were massively under employed. College grads were working at Whole Foods, FedEx, car rental agencies front desk, etc and the like instead of the traditional college entry company job. The aforementioned are jobs that traditionally went to non college graduates, head of household. Trump said the actual unemployment rate was more like 15 or 20 percent. He was spot on actually if you look at unemployment in the manner of jobs that you can live on. That was what resonated with the ones that voted for him despite their not liking his xenophobia and bigotry. The voters who voted twice for Obama and switched because Hilary was more of the same. They were desperate. The core voters voted on xenophobia but the ones that carried Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan for trump, that were former independent or Obama voters were desperate. Now they are more desperate, which is why we see each major Dem candidate polling very well against Trump. 

We need a "Cincinnatus' type leader (of Roman history fame) who is above partisan politics, saves the Republic, has no personal or partisan agenda. No respect of party affiliation, just work to fix the endemic issues. 

Europe is in big trouble long term. The biggest economy of the EU, Germany, is teetering on recession. Germany is one of the best run economies globally. Germany goes, so will Europe. The interesting thing from a historical point of view is that Germany fought 2 world wars trying to dominate Europe and ended up dong it without firing a shot...lol. When the next crash happens Greece, Italy and Spain will could be insolvent. The Balkans, which is the western world's '3rd world' will suffer massively and the discontent could get violent. 

Japan is exposed like no other. More than any other country, their demographic bomb will explode. The Japanese have always considered themselves a unique and special (code speech for superior) people and need immigration. Desperately. But they are willing to go down with the ship, staying homogeneous. Going by 2014 stats, 1/3 of their population is over 60 and is worse now. They need an influx of people or do more of a 'birth stimulus' (which they are already doing) as Russia and South Korea are doing and giving economic incentives to have kids. Even that won't solve the problem completely but will stave it off a little. 

Australia is massively exposed economically as well. As are many places. I think Singapore and a couple of the Asian countries like Vietnam may be better off marginally than most as well as Switzerland. Africa actually has a bright future. It has the youngest average age of any continent. Natural resources that have a global demand and that is why we see China so imbedded there. Rwanda has taken off economically. Yes, THAT Rwanda. Kenya is doing well. Not all the countries but a lot of them are growing. Nigeria has over 25, 000 millionaires and a few billionaires, and could go either way if their top class can counter endemic corruption and waste. 

One of the biggest things America can do for it itself reduce its foreign military presence and with that its political presence. We have 800 military installations around the globe. Yes, 8 effing hundred. Not all are bases, some are outposts, etc, but its still totals 800. in more than 70 countries. These total a few hundred billion in total. North Korea for all its bluster is never going to do a full invasion of South Korea. When I lived in SK the people were non chalant about an invasion. We don't need 25,000 or more troops there as an example. Cut the military drastically. EXCEPT vet services. I'd increase that dramatically. The VA should be first rate. 

I don't think a uniform minimum wage is wise. America is a huge diverse country. $15 an hour in York, Pennsylvania is totally different than $15 an hour in New York. The cost of living are very different. Same as $15 an hour in Philadelphia, Mississippi and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. If we are to have a national minimum wage it ought be reflective of the cost of living in that area. Not uniform. I mentioned before, if we are headed to 'free college' it should be spent on the majors that are needed in the economy. What the economy needs in the short,, intermediate and long term is well researched and almost an exact science. We should be giving free tuition to the majors desperately needed, whatever they may be, STEM, medical related majors, nursing, education, etc. No free college for art history, music appreciation, women studies, african american studies, political science, gender studies, Chicano studies, psychology (although with the mass shootings we may want to rethink that...hehe), those are examples of majors where there is no market for and if you want to pursue it, do so on your dime or at a very reduced amount of payment from the tax payer.

I like what Germany does with their apprenticeship programs. People can apprentice with companies, get on the job training as well as classroom instruction for all manner of things. Companies in partnership with the government, train and educate people in a wide range of industrial jobs. 

Anyway, we are in serious trouble not just as a nation but globally.

• Like 1

Yes, as you say, the world is in a precarious spot and what you've described, is not just the eventuality of people losing money. You are describing people losing faith in their 'leaders'.

This will be the conditions ripe for revolution, I tell you what, if I get poorer than I already am, through no fault of my own and the 'bankers' get bail outs again, I'm gonna be at their door, pummelling their face and breaking their knees and taking anything I can get my hands on, including the women, but only if they're quiet.

I don't think the world has ever had a world 'revolution' before.  I wonder when it'll be. Hopefully Summer, I do so hate living outside, in the cold and rain.