Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I can't take credit for the following ::

In these troubled times, I like to put my hand over the kidney in my heart, stare at the moon of Mars contemplating how the wheel is older than the wall, the great things Frederick Douglass is doing & just being thankful I have ID to buy cereal & I don’t have windmill cancer.

You know things are going badly pear shaped when the bad man fires the other bad man ::

Trump fired his national security adviser John Bolton. "I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House," Trump tweeted.

Bolton offered a slightly different version of events shortly after Trump made the announcement. "I offered to resign last night," Bolton tweeted, "and President Trump said, 'Let’s talk about it tomorrow.'"

Bolton is the third person to have served as Trump's national security adviser since his election. The two have had a series of disagreements during Bolton's tenure, including over how to handle sensitive foreign policy matters involving North Korea, Afghanistan, and Iran. Trump did not name Bolton's successor but said he plans to appoint someone "next week."

(New York Times / NBC News / CNN / MNSBC)

I'm sure the Taliban are happy with "next week" - time to blow up some more people with car bombs.

I'm sure little Rocketman is happy with "next week" - time to set off some more missile into the sea.

I'm sure the Iranians are happy with "next week" - time to enrich up some more Uranium.

A White House official told the BBC's US partner, CBS News, "Bolton has his priorities. He didn't ask the president 'What are your priorities?' They're Bolton's priorities."

A former senior administration official told CBS Mr Bolton's "his way or the highway" approach had infuriated many people inside the White House, including the president.

1 hour ago, Flashermac said:

A White House official told the BBC's US partner, CBS News, "Bolton has his priorities. He didn't ask the president 'What are your priorities?' They're Bolton's priorities."

A former senior administration official told CBS Mr Bolton's "his way or the highway" approach had infuriated many people inside the White House, including the president.

Good riddence!

Bolton was President Trump's attack dog that outlived his usefulness. Most likely fizzled out with Iran so cut him loose!!

During the campaign Trump (rightfully so) said America should detach itself from the major overseas entanglements (Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc.). Hiring Bolton (and its not like Bolton was an unknown entity) was totally contrary to that thinking. From my reading, Bolton and others who was brought into the administration wasn't his idea but Trump was either asked, pressured or somewhere inbetween to bring in certain people. Some he got along with (Kellyanne Conway) and some he didn't (Bolton, et. al). The story I read was that Billionaire Robert Mercer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mercer

had a HUGE say early on. He donated a lot privatelhy to the campaign and is the reason we saw Conway, Bannon and others in the WH. There are a number of articles that discuss this but surprisingly the mainstream media both conservative and otherwise have said very, very little about him. Rumor is the relationship has cooled. 

https://qz.com/1451236/robert-mercer-trumps-biggest-donor-is-at-it-again-in-2018/

https://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/sh/wex94ODaUs/trump-robert-mercer-billionaire/

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/06/why-the-mercers-trumps-biggest-2016-backers-have-bailed-on-him

That said, I was fairly confident Trump would be re-elected. But now I'm not so sure. There are a few things that would play heavily. One of which is the economy. When the impending crash/recession or whatever one may want to call it, happens it will play a huge part. If it occurs prior to the election, Trump will be out. Recessions have taken down Presidents before, both Bushes for example. The latter made it easy for Obama to win. 

The trade war with China is affecting his base. If it continues without resolution, that will play a big part. Also, who the Dems nominate. I don't think Biden, Warren and pretty much anyone other than Sanders can beat him. Warren may poll well against him but so did Hillary. I don't think she will get enough white males in the heartbelt to vote for her and won't get a big enough share of white women. The other voting niches (Latinos, Blacks, Millennials, etc.) will vote for her in big numbers and will come out to vote for her. 

7 hours ago, Coss said:

I thought is was just that Trump liked the way Bolton appeared on TV, with some small reservations about the moustache, but overall he appeared good and tough on FOX

Bolton is among the most hawkish. I swear if he was President, 100% we'd be in a war with Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, N. Korea simultaneously. And as usual with those who have promoted war the most and came of age in the 60s, he avoided the Vietnam war himself. He supported the war, but just didn't want to actually fight in it. 

• Like 1

Yes, Bolton, (John not Michael) is a warring arsehole. I didn't know he was a shirker in the Vietnam thing. As opposed to a peacenik, whom I would have some sympathy for.

After all, North Vietnam wasn't threatening New York.

And setting the rights and wrongs of that war aside, I  do have sympathy and gratitude to the ordinary people and those who did serve, respectively, for what happened, as that conflict defined the modern world in my opinion, certainly changed Laos.

A note on strategy - I think that maybe the Dems are deliberately confusing the issue on Trump/Impeachment/etc etc.

With the intent together Trump to explode and take down the GOP with him.

Long game.

1 hour ago, Coss said:

And setting the rights and wrongs of that war aside, I  do have sympathy and gratitude to the ordinary people and those who did serve, respectively, for what happened, as that conflict defined the modern world in my opinion, certainly changed Laos.

I recommend the BBC documentary series on the Vietnam war. Made over a period of ten years it is quite the body of work. There are currently 10 hours worth on iPlayer, possibly available elsewhere, and provides a very interesting take especially with a lot of recently released material, government phone conversations etc. Scary to think that senior people in the US knew in 68/69 there was no way out and no way to win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b096k7q7/episodes/guide