Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Once again, a President can't arbitrarily conduct an investigation himself and using his personal lawyer and bypassing the legal and mandated investigative process. Biden's son could be on video killing someone, doesn't matter (and for the record, I'd love to see relatives and friends of elected politicians exposed in these types of cases--via due process). There is a process. No way to justify directly calling a foreign leader to investigate the son of a political rival. I'm saying this to those who aren't privy to American jurisprudence. Everyone else seems married to one side or another. 

Anyway, the two big questions that I think remains to be seen is 1. Will the Democrats screw up an easy 'slam dunk' and 2. How many Republicans will break ranks. The "good" thing about a conviction in any impeachment trial when neither party has a clear majority is that it takes both sides to convict as in this case. It can't be said either party enacted a 'coup' if there is a conviction. Just like with Nixon. He lost enough of the Republican senators that a conviction was certain. What history has never revealed and one day I would love to do research on this is which Senators were still willing to vote for against impeachment despite clear cut evidence? That is never discussed. I wonder if Goldwater (who was the then senior Senator of the GOP) would have voted to convict or not? My guess is yes based on what I read about is integrity. But one never knows. 

Finally, I am thoroughly convinced America has no chance of correcting herself, when I hear actual members of Congress say the President was "obviously kidding" when openly encouraging China to investigate the Bidens, which is a clear violation. It's insulting to the American people but even scarier, the level of cult like deference for his core supporters to accept it. It's painfully obvious there is no one to save Trump from himself. This is beyond ideology. This is about conduct. To be fair, Trump truly believes in his own innocence I think. Unfortunately (for him) the law and members in his own administration think otherwise, hence the deflecting, nuanced statements coming from everyone connected or supportive. 

nixon.jpg

41 minutes ago, Flashermac said:

Sanders may not make it to 2020. He's 78 and now has heart problems. :(

I think its a valid concern to some but his biggest supporters are the youngest voters. Not an issue for them. And if the polls are anything to go by, its not an issue to enough Democrats to matter. In the general election it could be to independents. Trump is 73 himself. But Trump seems more vibrant it must be said on casual observance but the fact remains Trump will be in his mid 70s if he is re-elected. 

A story Warren tells about an early moment in her career is under scrutiny.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s rise in the polls in the Democratic presidential primary race has brought increased scrutiny of her past, including whether she was let go from a teaching job in 1971 for being pregnant. Warren has been telling the story for years. Now, some circles are questioning the veracity of her claims, and she is sticking by them.

“By the end of the school year, I was pretty obviously pregnant,” Warren wrote in her 2014 book, A Fighting Chance. “The principal did what I think a lot of principals did back then — wished me good luck, didn’t ask me back for the next school year, and hired someone else for the job.”

She tells the anecdote on the campaign trail often.

But on Monday, the Free Beacon cast doubt onto Warren’s story after finding minutes of an April 21, 1971, school board meeting in which a second-year teaching contract for her was approved. Then, minutes from a separate board meeting on June 16, 1971, say that her resignation had been “accepted with regret.”

The Free Beacon and others also pointed to a 2007 interview Warren gave at the University of California Berkeley in which her account of what happened omitted being let go by the principal.

“I worked in a public school system with the children with disabilities. I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ‘emergency certificate,’ it was called,” Warren said at the time. “I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’ I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years.”

CBS News delved into the controversy and found other pieces of evidence that reference Warren’s personal life, but no firing:

Local newspaper reports from 1971 also present reasons for her leaving the school alternative to what she describes on the trail. The Paterson News, a local paper, reported that summer that Warren was “leaving to raise a family.” The next month, a story about the school board hiring a replacement said Warren had “resigned for personal reasons,” even though the board had voted to “appoint” Warren to the same speech pathology job that April, according to an earlier report.

Minutes also show that board granted her a provisional certificate in speech pathology in November 1970.

Eliana Johnson, editor-in-chief of the Free Beacon, said in a phone interview that the documents the publication uncovered “seem to undercut” Warren’s story, though they doesn’t necessarily mean she was lying. She tied this instance to broader pressure political candidates on both sides of the aisle seem to face to craft “foundational myths” about themselves and sometimes bend the truth, such as Ben Carson claiming he got a West Point scholarship and Richard Blumenthal misrepresenting his military service. “It seems to me that these sorts of claims, whether it’s Democrats or Republicans making them, warrant scrutiny,” she said.

Warren’s campaign declined to comment on the record for this story.

ttps://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/10/8/20904777/elizabeth-warren-pregnancy-discrimination-washington-free-beacon

Let's be honest. There are no standards any longer to be president. If she made this up an people are saying this is a deal breaker to vote her, then certainly anyone doing that can't make a case for voting for Trump if that's their standard. 

I've yet to see a pristine candidate, ever. There is always something, even if its a small detail that doesn't add up. 

17 hours ago, Flashermac said:

A story Warren tells about an early moment in her career is under scrutiny.

Flash really? is this the best you got? some people reckon something for her past is inaccurate?

What about this?

Trump's prize for the Vietnam war, and he was never Staff.

945b908e08455a182704e7db74edc5be.png

This is not a surprise when you have a known bigot, Stephen Miller,  as the architect of your immigration policies. This is insane. If kids in cages isn't enough for you. Ironically, there are lots of Trump supporters with wives and kids from foreign brides. Miller has never, ever been interested in stopping citizenship of European peoples such as his Jewish immigrant grandparent that was in the German death camps. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/fourteenth-amendment-protects-citizenship-politics/599554/

Naturalized citizens are at particular risk of losing their citizenship under the Trump administration, as Baljinder Singh recently discovered. Singh has lived in the United States for nearly three decades, married a U.S. citizen, and became a naturalized citizen more than 10 years ago. Nonetheless, last year the government revoked his citizenship. Why? Because when he arrived in the United States as a teenager, the government recorded his first name as “Davinder” rather than “Baljinder”—quite possibly due to an interpreter’s error—and he never received the notice to appear in immigration court under that different name.

Singh is among the first targets in a denaturalization campaign launched by the Trump administration, which opened a new office in Los Angeles last summer, staffed by dozens and dedicated to investigating the citizenship files of 700,000 naturalized Americans.

But even some born within America’s borders are having their citizenship questioned. Take, for example, retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant Enrique Martinez. His birth certificate stating he was born in Texas was good enough for the U.S. Marine Corps. Nonetheless, the State Department refused his application for a passport on the grounds that it was insufficient proof that he was a U.S. citizen.

I don't care which party. A church endorsing a party is heretic in my view. Also, specifically to evangelicals and their history, I don't consider them to be Christians at all. They have been on the wrong side of EVERY movement that has been seen as right and just: Slavery, Civil War, Jim Crow/Segregation, Women's suffrage/right to vote in 1919, Civil Rights Act, VIetnam War, Women's rights in the '70s. To throw them a bone, they were for WW2 after Pearl Harbor but so was everyone. 

This endorsement is hypocritical of the party. The evangelical movement always said (until now) that every Christian should vote for a Christian, especially a born again, hence their religious cover for voting for both Bushes and to some extent Reagan. Evangelicals historically has never viewed LDS (Mormons) as Christians.....until Romney ran in '12. Obama is a born again Christian, but they supported the "non" Christian. They also said Bill Clinton should not get a Christian's vote because of his extra marital affairs...until Trump. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/5392ee82-ce84-3d0d-8307-fc643185cc5e/christians-‘have-a-moral.html

...and I'm the son of an assistant pastor/head Deacon, Sunday school mom. I grew up in the traditional black Baptist church tradition, and I have very serious issues with them as well. But that's for other reasons not stated above. The way the black Baptist church practices Christianity has led me from not attending a service in many years.