Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

The one 'good' thing about this period of time it has exposed a lot of Republicans. Lindsay Graham has done irreparable harm to his name and legacy. So has a number of people. Just like in the Bush administration, certain people such as Karl Rove, Dick Cheney will not be remembered kindly and with tacit respect when they pass. Bush surprisingly has molded a grandfatherly, not intelligent but lovable figure. He's reshaped his public view. Either by design or by accident. 

Obama has secured his legacy as a better President than he actually was by having the fortune of having his presidency sandwiched between what will be seen as 2 of the worse presidents in U.S. history. I was very underwhelmed with the ideology of Obama's term in office but (and this will bring the ire of Cav and others) but he is probably no worse than top 2 of all Presidents in the last 50 years. I have a very high standard and I must qualify it by saying that I don't think much of just about any president in the modern era. I think we have to go back to Truman to find a truly great President. Ike perhaps. That said, the only President one can make a case for as a better President is Reagan and I think far less of his actual accomplishments than most. 

I'm using their overall presidency, domestic and foreign, the era, and the context of what they had to deal with as president. I'm at pains to find a better president than Obama and say 'best' not in how good I think Obama was but in comparison to his predecessors as well as Trump. 

And again, I say this as a person who thinks Obama greatly underperformed from what was promised. But he accomplished a lot in very difficult circumstances. He inherited an economy that was hair close to a depression and navigated our way out of it. To be fair, he never fixed the economy but had propped up artificially via the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department. But it kept us out of a full blown depression. He 'kicked the can down the road' with regards to the debt, and other matters. Internationally, he had huge wins, killing of bin Laden, opening up Cuba. These are massive and he doesn't get the credit for them but hopefully historians will remember him for it. He did this with one hand tied behind his back. McConnell and the Republicans in Congress did something that was completely unprecedented and each of us can determine why but they publicly and privately told the President they would not work with him on anything and work openly to obstruct everything. All previous presidents with one exception (Andrew Johnson in 1865, sorry ,  I love history) no matter how contentious it was with the opposition party, even FDR, at least were able to talk about programs they agreed on mutually. The Republicans wouldn't even discuss things they agreed on. 

I'd love to hear which presidents overall in the last 50 years or so were better overall. 

On 10/19/2019 at 6:49 PM, chocolat steve said:

. Cav, "He said he wasn't making a profit". Really? First, we are taking his word for it. Second, it's not true. Third, just suggesting a business he owns alone is impeachable. The fact we are even questioning this is scary.

President Donald Trump abandons plan to host G7 summit at own resort

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2019/10/president-donald-trump-abandons-plan-to-host-g7-summit-at-own-resort.html

US President Donald Trump has abandoned plans to host next year's Group of Seven economic summit of leaders of developed nations at his Florida golf resort.

Accused of using the presidency to enrich himself, Trump announced a rare backtrack on Twitter on Saturday night.

In a series of tweets, Trump said he would drop the plan announced on Thursday by White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

He insisted his staff had concluded it was "far and away the best physical facility".

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

I thought I was doing something very good for our Country by using Trump National Doral, in Miami, for hosting the G-7 Leaders. It is big, grand, on hundreds of acres, next to MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, has tremendous ballrooms & meeting rooms, and each delegation would have...

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

.....its own 50 to 70 unit building. Would set up better than other alternatives. I announced that I would be willing to do it at NO PROFIT or, if legally permissible, at ZERO COST to the USA. But, as usual, the Hostile Media & their Democrat Partners went CRAZY!

Trump cited what he termed "Crazed and Irrational Hostility" from Democrats and the news media in explaining the reversal.

"We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately," he wrote.

Reuters

KarlLaugh.gif.5ebeb59afe225054fae5b9480309e491.gif

The real shame is why weren't (more/any) Republicans outraged at the idea? As I said, the one thing about Trump's presidency is that it has exposed a lot of people. The same can be said of the Obama presidency as well. A number of elected Republicans went beyond the line with violating respect for the office while he was in there. For example, a Congessman yelling 'liar' during the state of the union address. Other things, not reported widely if at all, such as not accepting the President's phone call. Pointing their finger and yelling at the President. Never done before or since Obama. 

21 minutes ago, chocolat steve said:

The real shame is why weren't (more/any) Republicans outraged at the idea? As I said, the one thing about Trump's presidency is that it has exposed a lot of people. The same can be said of the Obama presidency as well. A number of elected Republicans went beyond the line with violating respect for the office while he was in there. For example, a Congessman yelling 'liar' during the state of the union address. Other things, not reported widely if at all, such as not accepting the President's phone call. Pointing their finger and yelling at the President. Never done before or since Obama. 

We live in a time where so many feel they are entitled to do whatever they want. Remember all the Dems that refused to applaud during President Trump's State of the Union address, very impolite. So it happens on both sides and for me, it is totally inexcusable!

These are our elected leaders and they should be setting the example, a good example.

5 hours ago, cavanami said:

We live in a time where so many feel they are entitled to do whatever they want. Remember all the Dems that refused to applaud during President Trump's State of the Union address, very impolite. So it happens on both sides and for me, it is totally inexcusable!

These are our elected leaders and they should be setting the example, a good example.

Not true Cav, BOTH sides don't applaud the president of the opposite party in State of the Union addresses. They all stand up as is protocol but they don't applaud everything. That's normal. The Republicans disrespected the office. Flat out and the worse part of it, they cosigned the disrespect. 

Trump - Dumber than a Dumb thing, you don't know anyone as Dumb as Trump.

---

And Cav, I watched Trump stumble through this live to the world call, the Dumbness comes out of his mouth, the media are only reporting it.

Trump humiliated by female astronauts who fact check his space blunder during live call

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1192783/donald-trump-latest-news-nasa-female-astronauts-humiliation-white-house-washington