Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Trump's best chance of not getting impeached are the Dems themselves. Inept is being kind.

That said, as it stands Trump will not be convicted. He is worried about having his legacy marred by an impeachment. 

It didnt really hurt Bill Clinton so far. In fact its remembered as being without merit from a vindictive Republican party  

The atmosphere is much different this time. Impeachment will harden his hard core, dare I say "sycophantic" support.  But that's it. If the Dems conducted an intelligent investigation and it's not like they lack Congressional talent to do it but they wont use them. If Senators Kamala Harris or Virginia's Kane were in the House conducting it would be game over. They are very sharp with prosecutorial backgrounds. 

The quandary in the Senate is that Trump wouldnt have the votes if it was an anonymous vote. He is far more feared than loved. 

It's a testament to Trump's power that there he still has the votes because had the same scenario happened to any other modern President it would be a done deal. 

IMO

Bill Clinton played his "crimes" wrong.

He should have said, when confronted about Monica and/or others...."I made a mistake and I am working things out with my family". Instead he lied. If Bill showed  a little bit of humility, it is very possible he would not have been impeached but Monica was only a small part of the issues.

Res. 611, Clinton was impeached on December 19, 1998, by the House of Representatives on grounds of perjury to a grand jury (by a 228–206 vote) and obstruction of justice (by a 221–212 vote).
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton

1 hour ago, cavanami said:

IMO

Bill Clinton played his "crimes" wrong.

He should have said, when confronted about Monica and/or others...."I made a mistake and I am working things out with my family".

Mr Cavanami, for a change I do fully agree with you. Apart from that most men wordwide sympathised with Bill anyway and a lot of housewifes learned what a blowjob is. Very stupid to lie about it. On the other hand, if President Donald would try to work out all his "mistakes " with the family they would soon ask him to shut up.

Hillary wasnt' bad looking in college when they met. How a woman ages is a crapshoot. I would have been attracted to her, smart, open minded and decent looking. 

As for Bill, I don't think his wife knew he had the affair with Monica Lewinsky at the time, so I can see why he lied. I stated this a few times, that I think the Dems should have cited precedence for Bill's perjury. He lied in a private lawsuit not acting as President but as a private citizen. There are 2 prior precedents of a president and VP breaking the law in a private matter while in office and not being impeached. Burr as a sitting VP for murder in the duel with Hamilton. NJ wanted him for murder and Nixon who evaded taxes while in office. Tax evasion was successfully argued by the Republicans to be stricken from impeachment because he was evading taxes as a private citizen and not acting as President. 

The Clinton deposition was a BS matter anyway. It was about actions while he was governor of Arkansas. Had nothing to do with anything before the Congress but the Republicans were desperate to find anything. They opened up that can of worms and now its come back to bite them in the ass, so Trump's taxes, etc, which I agree would be off limits normally is now fair game. Anything is fair game. And that's what you get when you go beyond the scope of things. 

I've said this before. Some day we are going to get a far left version of Trump and the Republicans can't say anything if Dems defend his illegal actions. You must look at precedents when you conduct your office. The court system is filled with crazy precedents because judges acted out of bigotry, religion or some other bullshit. 

The sad thing is I really think Trump didn't realize what he was doing is impeachable. Maybe improper to some extent but not illegal. This does not exonerate him but from what we know from those who work in the administration he does things ad hoc and either won't listen to advice or advice is not volunteered out of fear. This testimony and whole situation would have made most President's own party vote against him....till now. Nixon was far more popular in the Republican party after winning 2 landslides and Republicans saw a future dominated by the Republicans in the White House. So, voting against Nixon was not only personally killing your own election but also killing the party to some extent but the evidence was so damning most had no choice. I noted this before. there were still senators willing to vote no on conviction when Goldwater and other senior Senators went to tell Nixon he didn't have the votes. That is shocking. And I would love to know who those Senators were.