Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Due to time differences, I keep the impeachment coverage on as wallpaper, whilst I am otherwise engaged, sometimes listening to MSNBC, Fox, BBC and Aljazeera commentary.

And there are some striking polls popping up, like 75% of 'mericans want witnesses and documents at the Impeachment trial.

I think, as most people do, Trump will be acquitted at the first opportunity, to vote on this, but there are cracks around the foundations of the monolith, that is the Republican support.

A sensible strategy on the Republican side would be to show some give and take, some reasonableness, but as we all know, total 100% slavish obeisance, is what's being demanded, and from what I know about 'mericans, they are not that kind of people, so this is not a done deal, cracks can turn into fatal flaws...

Not a done deal.

make your own assessment:

From this article: Opinion: In a completely unscripted moment, Macron showed Trump what the whole world thinks of him

After a journalist asked whether France should bring French Isis fighters back home, Trump turned to Macron and jokingly … asked his French counterpart: "Would you like some nice Isis fighters? You can take everyone you want.”

Macron replied “Let’s be serious.” He went on “It is true you have fighters coming from Europe but this is a tiny minority and I think the number one priority, because it's not finished, is to get rid of Isis and terrorist groups. This is our number one priority and it's not yet done.”

Trump was making a joke of what for Europe has been a major issue for some years. Dealing with millions of refugees from the Syrian war. Macron has no duty to be obsequious to the US President, nor is he inclined to allow Trump trivialize the issues with which France and other European countries have to deal.

Schiff especially has been very persuasive. The goal isn't to change enough senators for conviction. That will never happen with a public vote (private vote its a surety). The goal is to 

1. Change a few publicly. If a handful or so change, its huge. 

2. To convince the American people as a whole. Increase the number of voters overall to see the facts and convict Trump in their minds and opinions.

4. Convince the voters in swing states of the Republican senators who face a tough re-election in November. 

The narrative has changed publicly from the Republicans from "he did nothing wrong" to "It's wrong but not impeachable". The facts say Trump did something wrong.