Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

11 hours ago, Coss said:

Now Trump's defence team are arguing a case against Hunter Biden, as though there is one, and as though that's the case the Congress is examining.

I wonder, do they know that it's Donald that's on trial, not Hunter?

Doesn't matter. Calling Hunter in as a witness will do two things (they hope). First, it would muddy the waters and turn the trial into a side show. Going after Hunter and there is amble stuff to attack his character if not anything illegal will change the narrative of the trial and second, it will hurt Biden in the election. Personally, I'd let them. Let Biden fall on the sword. The Republicans will play up Hunter and try to make the narrative during and after as don't look at Trump, look over here at Biden. That's why Trump did what he did. 

But by calling their witnesses, they can get first hand accounts that makes Trump look guilty. 

So, question for Coss, Flash, Cav, BB or any other who wants to chime in. Assuming Bolton's account is true.Has Trump committed an impeachable act? I'm not debating other factors, Bolton being disloyal, etc, just Bolton's first hand account IF TRUE. 

1 hour ago, chocolat steve said:

So, question for Coss, Flash, Cav, BB or any other who wants to chime in. Assuming Bolton's account is true.Has Trump committed an impeachable act? I'm not debating other factors, Bolton being disloyal, etc, just Bolton's first hand account IF TRUE. 

1/. in my view High Crimes and Misdemeanours = exactly what Trump has been up to, in withholding aid as a POTUS, for personal, not country gain. Your founders wanted Congress to be able to call someone out and remove them, if they got out of hand, but for something serious. So yes, I'd say impeachable.

2/. what I think is happening = Today, the support of Congress, to boot Trump out, is less dependent on honour and integrity, as it may once have been and more obviously dependent, on the GOP member's self serving interests, just like Trump. That's why the polls are so important and why the GOP will kick Trump out, when the polls reach a certain number. What that number might be, is not for me to say.

note - the Whitehouse is not denying Bolton's account (as reported), Trump made a flubbed attempt, to say he never talked to Bolton, but it was one of his least convincing flubs.

Coss, the bar keeps being raised. First, there was no quid pro quo. It was a perfect call. Nothing wrong was done No crime was committed. Then it was wrong but it wasn't a crime. Finally, we have come to, okay it may be a crime, but its not an impeachable crime. 

I remember the Clinton impeachment and trial. He was in his 2nd term. Was leaving anyway, the economy was good. And everyone in the country was seeing the impeachment as Republicans taking petty and bitterness to the most extreme level. They hated the Clintons with a passion I've rarely seen. He was popular, he was elected by a huge margin, And there was nothing they could about it. They knew they didn't have the numbers in the Senate but they could embarrass him. That impeachment was bullshit. The public thought it was bullshit. The Republicans started using morals as the standard. The Clintons were political animals. No one would accuse them as being of strong character and although I supported them I also didn't like them personally. I was vehementally against such things as his pardons (Marc Rich) and others but he was better than the alternative. New Gingrich and the others in Congress were worse. Much worse. Now we find ourselves with the same Republicans excusing the immoral and illicit behavior they deemed not worthy to be in the same office. Hypocrisy of the highest order. 

Republicans even up to this day have a visceral, hard core hatred of them on a level that is scary. They are no longer relevant. They are done politically but it doesn't matter. 

A few things I would like to see amendments to the constitution. 

1. 75% of the house and 2/3 of the Senate can overturn a presidential pardon. The fact is the President can literally pardon anyone and nothing can be done about it. He could have taken a bribe and do it and it can't be undone. Bush the elder, and Clinton gave pardons that were unconscionable. 

2. Get rid of the electoral college. It was wrong when enacted and its bad now. I am happy to debate my reasons. 

3. Make rules to limit abuse of presidential library funding. The Clintons abused that. They used it as a vehicle to enrich themselves beyond comprehension. I fear Trump will do the same. 

4. I fear Trump will abuse secret service protection he is entitled to for the rest of his life to enrich himself. We have already seen him use secret service to enrich himself at his properties by charging the government obscene amounts to house them. Cut that ability off. I can see him getting millions for years by charging the government obscene amounts for them to stay at Mar A Lago and Trump Tower.

5. Formalize the impeachment process. It's still helter skelter. Let's save ourselves time and come up with a formal process for witnesses, evidence, etc. Let's also add verbiage to "high crimes and misdemeanors' such as abuse of power, etc.