Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Trump's first 3 years is essentially the last 3 years of Obama. I don't hear the Dems saying what it's not so great. Maybe by doing so they are saying Obama's economy wasn't as great as the stats. It wasn't. Part of the reason Trump got people who didn't like him personally to vote for him was giving voice to what they were seeing every day. The Dems need to do the same. The recovery was slow and so is Trump's extension of it. His jobs numbers are even lower than Obama's. The economy hasn't grew at 3% of more even though he said he could and 3% was the standard. He hasn't hit it. In fact, what his administration has done is put out phony numbers with a lot of fanfare and revise it down quietly a few months later. He did it for about a year and a half and no one called him on it. That's not normal. The compilation of these stats is almost an exact science except for extraordinary events and you don't have those events for 16 or 17 straight months. 

The Coronavirus is not Trump's fault. The market initially reacted negatively to the possibility it will impact society globally and possibly come to America. That has nothing to do with Trump. The markets were always going to react negatively. With China and America with the virus as a major issue potentially, the world economy would suffer with the 2 biggest economies with a few percentage points under half the world's GNP. 

The markets reacted more negatively than it normally would because it doesn't trust Trump to manage it effectively. The market knows he's incompetent and doesn't make things better but worse. With possibly cases rising in America the market knows Trump has replaced quality people who know their business in key positions with Trump worshippers. He's also cut funding for CDC (Center for Disease Control) https://fortune.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-covid-19-cdc-budget-cuts-us-trump/

The S&P was just under 3400 a couple weeks ago and is now below 3000. The DJIA was at around 30,000 and is now 25,000. No one has faith in Trump controlling it. The overseas markets don't as well Their opinion of Trump reflects what their diplomats have said privately. He's a train wreck. This is where leadership and a steady hand as President comes in. His supporters forgive and even defend and praise his off the cuff, wild comments. Him making off the cuff, untrue statements has made the situation worse. If you are a hedge fund manager, CEO of a company that trades globally, etc and you hear him saying complete bullshit about the situation are you really going to have faith he can get it done? Really? He's made things worse. Every other modern day president would have the CDC next to him, a scripted speech to calm people and markets. Trump says whatever bullshit he can think of and it makes things worse. 

BOTH parties and the media politicizes events to some extent. It's done, if you are the party on the other end, you roll with it. The far right first labeled the left "snowflakes", but they are the ones that are crying over any event now. When you are dealing with infectious diseases, part of the job of the government is at least 2 things. First, tell the plan. What are you doing about it. Second, is to calm nerves, not make the people over panic, as well as the markets. 

Trump has failed at both. By dismissing the potential of the disease, he invariably has shown a lack of leadership and there is a valid lack of faith in his ability to manage it as it grows. I personally, am not too worried. I wouldn't personally label it a pandemic, I think we are much too far away from that but I'm not disease expert. I've just seen other outbreaks (Zika, Legionaires disease in my hometown Philly, etc. MERS, SARS, HIV, Ebola). But its not my job to dismiss it as less than it really is. 

https://nypost.com/2020/02/28/mick-mulvaney-media-is-using-coronavirus-coverage-to-take-down-trump/

...another thing. I would definitely see this administration lying about the spread of the disease base on its prior actions. This administration flat out lies and members of the administration has said they feel no responsibility to tell the media the truth because they consider it 'fake and full of lies'. Even if they do feel that way, the media is how the people find out how the administration feels about issues and its view so if they are lying to the media, they are essentially lying to the American people. 

7 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Have no fear gentlemen, chief virus executive Donald Trump found out that "It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear,"

Tee hee, I laughed...

5 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

The Coronavirus is not Trump's fault.

Yes it is

5 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

off the cuff, untrue statements has made the situation worse.

no... really? ...  :)

1 hour ago, chocolat steve said:

I would definitely see this administration lying about the spread of the disease base on its prior actions.

Yesterday was a good one, Trump was stridently telling the world, that the good ol' USA has only 15 cases of coronavirus.

This was some many hours, after we find out from national and international news, that 33 of these cases are in California. 

Has no one in the USA got any cognition?

Mike Pence is hosting a fundraiser for Congressional Republicans on an island in Florida. It costs $2,500 to attend, $5,000 for a picture with Pence, and $25,000 to have dinner with him. The event will be held at the waterfront home of U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan, a Republican who served with Pence in Congress. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he will meet with Pence in Palm Beach before the event to discuss coronavirus response coordination. (Tampa Bay Times / Sarasota Herald-Tribune)

Didn't this guy just get appointed the "head of the Coronavirus response effort" for the good ol' USA?

I can see it now, if you pay $32,500  and get the 'Dinner, Attendance and Photo package,' you also get a magical virus miracle cure, for you and up to 3 members of your family and  the thoughts and prayers of whomsoever passes for, Pence's bishops...

---

Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney accused the press of peddling false narratives about the administration “scrambling” to deal with the coronavirus. Mulvaney claimed that he briefed Congress six weeks ago and accused the media of ignoring the story until very recently, focusing instead on Trump’s “hoax” impeachment. “Why didn’t you hear about it?” Mulvaney asked the crowd at CPAC. “The press was covering their hoax of the day because they thought it would bring down the president.” He added: “Are you going to see some schools shut down? Probably. May you see impacts on public transportation? Sure. [But] we know how to handle this.” (The Hill)

The simple answer to Mulvaney's accusations, is that news media were and are reporting news, they weren't ignoring Trump's efforts to deal with the coronavirus, because there were none. It was only after the Trump folk cranked up the 'completely inadequate machine' that they started reporting as such.

---