Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

1 hour ago, chocolat steve said:

Coss, this will put a smile on some people's faces on here but America is done. Finished. Kaput, Fini, terminado, เสร็จ 

and a lot of the rest of us. see you on the other side, 6 months in my estimations

I used to follow the news, out of the country formerly known as the USA, assiduously, so that I could cackle and chortle with glee, at the latest Drumpf debacle.

I found out about the Streisand effect, from one of those news items -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

And having read the following (article below) I cackled and chortled, but after this I don't need to bother anymore.

Trump would have you prosecuted for reporting his own words.......

_____

Trump campaign takes aim at ad that quotes Trump

The Trump re-election campaign is threatening television stations that run a new attack ad. The trouble is, all the ad does is quote the president.

By Steve Benen

Priorities USA, a leading super PAC affiliated with Democratic politics, unveiled a new ad this week, hitting Donald Trump on his response to the coronavirus crisis. The ad is pretty straightforward: it features direct quotes from the president about the pandemic, as viewers see a chart showing the number of American coronavirus cases steadily climbing.

The super PAC has invested $6 million in the ad campaign, which began airing this week in several battleground states. 

As The Hill reported, however, Trump's campaign team hopes to change that.

President Trump's reelection campaign is threatening legal action against television stations in key battleground states if they continue airing an ad cut by the liberal super PAC Priorities USA ,alleging that the president called the coronavirus a "hoax."

A lawyer for the Trump campaign sent "cease and desist" letters to stations, warning that they should reject the 30-second commercial to "avoid costly and time consuming litigation."

It's not yet clear whether stations will be intimidated, though Priorities USA will likely defend the ad by arguing that it simply quotes the president. Team Trump's argument is that, in context, when the Republican used the word "hoax" at a campaign rally, he wasn't explicitly referring to the virus itself.

At a press briefing soon after the event, when a reporter asked him whether he regrets throwing around careless and provocative rhetoric, Trump insisted that what he sees as a "hoax" is the idea that his administration has failed to properly respond to the public-health crisis. "[W]e've done such a good job," he said, adding, "[T]he 'hoax' was used with respect to Democrats and what they were saying. It was a hoax, what they were saying."

Trump's latest doozies: 'I haven't heard about testing being a problem'.

Trump reportedly wants his signature on economic aid checks.

Part of the problem, of course, is that the idea that the White House has done a "good job" in its response to the crisis, is impossible to take seriously.

The other part of the problem is that the Trump campaign's efforts to denounce the Priorities USA ad appears to have generated more interest in the commercial, the president's team didn't want people to see. As of this morning, the spot has been viewed online over 6.5 million times.

It would appear, in other words, that the Streisand Effect kicked in.
___

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-campaign-takes-aim-ad-quotes-trump-n1169436?cid=referral_taboolafeed

Those are good graphs, I'm putting a bit of faith in these and others like them. 

I would caution against thinking that everything is going to calm down by May 1. The graphs assume static assumptions, like continued social distancing and no virus mutation.

Nature isn't like that.

Doomsayer that I am, here are some possible factors that could come to bear, on the amount of people dying from this virus:

1. Social distancing becomes too burdensome for a proportion of the population, for stupidity, religious, or political reasons.

2. The virus mutates into a worse (or less bad, but still a killer) version. You have to remember, that from an evolutionary point of view, a successful virus is not one that causes a high death rate in it's hosts, because soon there's no place to be hosted. So a successful evolutionary virus is one that kills a minimum of it's hosts. But that's still deaths.

3. Deaths from other causes, like people roaming the streets with guns 'n whiskey. Or the powers that be, using the forces at their disposal to put down the peasants with lethal consequences.

4. And the big one, Starvation when society collapses.

31 minutes ago, chocolat steve said:

BS article....Trump dpwnplayed the virus for two months....WTF...same the WHO did...more TDS bullshit from the lefturds!!!

If I understand you Cav, if Trump eats an apple, you will say he didn't eat an apple, because someone else also ate an apple.

On your logic I can kill thousands of people and that's OK because something else, is killing thousands of people.

Or, you can be stupid because rocks are also stupid.

Oh and Cav, do an English refresher course.

According to Fox News and cavanami Corona was fake news supported by the Democrats ,certainly Hillary´s email server and Obama in general.  On the other hand, according to the greatest President ever it is a minor flu expiring in April. Just wanted to remind the USA that today is April 1st and the flu is over.

For Mr Cavanami, who seems to think the the WHO is as stupid as Trump, the following link might help to gain a better view but as we know facts are worth nothing in the Trump/Fox universe :

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200121-sitrep-1-2019-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=20a99c10_4