Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Biden painted himself in a corner saying he would only choose a woman as his VP. He was under immense pressure. He had some sexual harassment allegations that seemed to have some legs. I would have advised him to say I'll seriously consider a woman and that specific women are part of the leading candidates 

To be fair, the choosing of a running mate has always been strategic. Lincoln had a southern segregationist, pro slavery running mate so that he can win some votes in the south. Kennedy chose LBJ to deliver Texas and hopefully a few other southern states. 

Carter,  a southerner chose Mondale of Minnesota to get votes from the north. All that said, I think the best choice to make if he's only going to choose a woman should be Susan Rice. I think politically she may do the best choice. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-vice-presidential-search-gathers-152846974.html

Race and gender, aside, Katie Porter is the only US politician I've heard speak, who I'd entrust anything to.

I watched her skewer Zuckerberg in a hearing and she did'nt let one second, of wishy washy evasiveness go past, unchallenged. She can strip paint of a Sherman tank at 100 yards with one well executed phrase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Porter

On 6/13/2020 at 7:49 PM, chocolat steve said:

I may have mentioned (a few thousand times) I dated a Kiwi law student in LA some years ago. I became an All Blacks fan because of her. Broke my little heart at the time...lol..but still fond memories. When I said I'd visit NZ, she was against it. In that cute kiwi accent she said "You wouldn't want me anymore. The women would find you exotic" which of course made me want to visit all the more. 

Despite the advent of international air travel and the multicultural society in NZ these days, I can still see the local women, getting all excited when they encounter an "Outsider".  At school I was mortified, when a weedy Foreign Exchange student turned up and all the pretty girls, lined up to drool over him...  I myself spent Sunday "shopping", at a local clothing outlet store mall, with my wife, she shopped, I parked up with a coffee and perused the eye candy from some 20 or so nationalities... Yum...

As you also know I seriously looked into retirement options there. I visited the NZ embassy abroad once to get more detailed info into options. Still will make my way there if the stars align correctly and I find the time and money among my other pursuits. 

As I think I've said, let me know your flight number and I'll put the kettle on.

Would still like to hear your thoughts on the biggest issues you all face. 

There's a phrase, 1st world problems, I think this is appropriate, Unemployment, but we have Social Welfare, it's not enough, but there is no real reason to starve here.

So we've got all the issues other counties have.

And at last look, none of us, have been disappeared, over our thoughts or actions.

Hang on, I'll do a head count...

Pompeo to meet with Chinese delegation this week in Hawaii

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/pompeo-to-meet-with-chinese-delegation-this-week-in-hawaii-sources/ar-BB15wxQI

(Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is planning to meet a Chinese delegation at a U.S. military base in Hawaii this week to discuss bilateral ties that have soured deeply since the start of the year, sources familiar with the matter said...

The cynic in me thinks: 

Pompeo: "Orange Man gone in November, wot about if we work together, then I can be Boss Man?"

China: "Good plan, open markets, lose tariffs, give I.P."

Federal civil rights law protects gay, lesbian and transgender workers, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The landmark ruling will extend protections to millions of workers nationwide and is a defeat for the Trump administration, which argued that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination based on sex did not extend to claims of gender identity and sexual orientation.

The 6-3 opinion was written by Justice Neil Gorsuch, President Donald Trump's first Supreme Court nominee, and joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and the court's four liberal justices. 

"An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids," Gorsuch wrote.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/supreme-court-lgbtq-employment-case/index.html

good news