Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Kaepernick was speaking out against injustice. MLK Jr lived a middle class life in a working class/middle class black area of Atlanta. The son of a pastor, and a pastor himself, in those days, ministers of the churches the size of King's lived a solid middle class life. Hence he was able to go to excellent schools. MLK Jr was not popular at the time of his assassination. The NY Times did an article about it I think. He was anti Vietnam war, he was still for peace, he was for reparations and to unite poor whites with poor blacks. Northern blacks abandoned him for the Black Panthers and Nation of Islam. Many whites abandoned him over his stance on the war. 

So, it could also be argued the same for King. 

Colin Kaepernick is fighting for others. His background is actually a huge compliment to his selflessness. He could ignore the injustice and rake in millions. He risked everything for what he thought was right. There is nothing more noble and quintessencially American than that. 

Fact is MLK Jr was proven right and right now Kaepernick is proven right. Polls now support his stance overwhelmingly. The same NFL that conspired illegally to ban him is now taking a knee. 

Fact is Kaepernick has won. 

Nice try though. 

4 hours ago, Coss said:

Yes, Hear Hear!

Not even nearly as iconic but its tantamount to us arguing in the mid to late 70s about Mohammed Ali. By that time he was seen as positive. Late 60s and early 70s he was hated. My parents cheered for Patterson and Joe Frazier (Frazier is from my area but still ;) ). My dad was singing in his praises after the Foreman fight my older brother recalls. And so was the nation culminating with him lighting the torch in the '84 Olympics in LA. 

Kaepernick will never be as iconic but its clear the split voices are not firmly far less split and the vast majority of people in America see him as courageous and outside its pretty much universal. 

Wouldn't surprise me if all the Trumpanzees are quietly lining up for their unmarked government issue,  camo gear, whiskey n guns.

As a mate said to me, "Portland, lot of rednecks (modern meaning) up that way..."

Here is a part of the Supreme Court’s decision in the case Ex parte Garland, 71 U.S. 333 (1866)

A pardon reaches the punishment prescribed for an offence and the guilt of the offender. If granted before conviction, it prevents any of the penalties and disabilities consequent upon conviction from attaching; if granted after conviction, it removes the penalties and disabilities and restores him to all his civil rights. It gives him a new credit and capacity. There is only this limitation to its operation: it does not restore offices forfeited, or property of interests vested in others in consequence of the conviction and judgment.

That is, a President can pardon a crime even before the police have begun to investigate it.

However, the Supreme Court has ruled that “acceptance of a pardon is an admission of guilt”. so by definition, if Trump accepts a pardon, he is admitting to have committed the crime, and although Trump could do that and never lose a second of sleep, Pence and any future political career he hopes for will have to live with it. Pardoning Nixon ended Ford’s career, and Pence has got to understand the same will happen to him. Nonetheless,  Pence is the spineless ass licker, he gives all indication of being and will sacrifice his own career to keep Trump out of prison. It’s sad to see people do this, because Trump has shown that people are worth keeping around only as long as they’re useful to him. Once Pence pardons him, Trump will walk away and not lift a finger to help Pence save his own career.

and

Presidential Pardon prevents indictment for violation of criminal law

Presidential Pardon prevents trial after indictment for violations of criminal law

Presidential Pardon prevents penalties for being convicted in trial for violations of criminal law

Appeal to a court higher than the one you were convicted in may mitigate conviction for violations of criminal law

Impeachment for political crimes cannot be pardoned

Conviction for political crimes cannot be pardoned

There is no higher court than congress for political crimes, so impeachment, conviction, and banning cannot be appealed

You can neither pardon yourself nor preside over your own trial

None of the above are my words, but I found them interesting and pertinent.

• Thanks 1

The presidential pardon clause in the constitution needs to be amended. Its too open ended and has no recourse. When the founders put it in, they regarded each other as men of honor with unimpeachable character. 
Sadly, its not so these days for both parties. Were in Congress I would propose that any presidential pardon can be overturned with a super majority of both houses of Congress. In that way it has to be so bad it surpasses ideology. 

There were, are and will be politically motivated pardons. Presidents of both parties have abused the pardon clause, Bush the elder pardoning ahead of time all the parsons involved in Iran/Contra of the Reagan administration (for which he should have been impeached). Bill Clinton pardoned fraud financier Marc Rich, coincidentally, his ex wife was co heading an organization benefiting him. 

Trump will abuse it further. There is no doubt in my mind. If we make it so 3/4 of the House and 2/3 of the Senate can overturn it, then at least it 1. puts the members of the legislature on notice on what they will allow and 2, we know it will be so egregious even a President's own party will see it as over the line if its overturned. 

As far as Cav's post on BLM, that is not even a debate anymore. That video is preaching to the choir. The court of public opinion both domestically and internationally has spoken. Whatever position anyone has now they are married to it. The public has spoken.. Pro leagues all over the world kneeling Colin Kaepernick style, the NFL where it all started has conceded they were wrong. Military vets are now in the streets, middle class suburban moms are forming human walls. Confederate flags are being taken down in places where it was virtually impossible like Mississippi. A Robert E. Lee HS has been renamed John Lewis HS.  It's over Cav. At this point its like arguing if Bush should have invaded Iraq. It looks silly even having the conversation.