Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

16 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

Hmm...Biden's wife or Trump's wife who represents the First Lady tradition? hmmm

LOL

Having some fun. Again, and I swear, I don't have a problem with her per se. I'm just pointing out the sheer hypocrisy and the restraint Dems have shown towards her. Dems are corrupt but they have a line. Gotta give them that. 

trumpwife1.jpg

trumpwife.jpg

trumpwife2.jpg

At least Trump can tell his wife from his sister.  :)

20 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

Joe has a long history of lying. He ran for President in 1992 and had to quit the race because he was caught in a lie. He plagiarized something I think in college. Not sure but I recall. He talks whimsically over the years of stories from his youth that people said were completely made up. This was mostly in the 90s and prior. 

It also tells you the state of the Democratic party that the establishment backed him from the start. That said, I do'n't think he is unable to govern. He will surround himself with capable people. I liken him to Reagan who by all accounts was unprepared for the high office. I've posted this before. The accounts are by his own people. 

https://www.salon.com/2015/12/28/behind_the_ronald_reagan_myth_no_one_had_ever_entered_the_white_house_so_grossly_ill_informed/

I think Biden will be okay. He will misspeak, he will remember things incorrectly or what others may call a lie. But the country will be run no worse than it was pre Trump. Biden being a bad candidate does not by definition make Trump a viable alternative. Biden being one of the worse of the Democratic challengers doesn't make Trump any better. A strong case can be made to vote for Romney, Rubio and many others over Biden. Even...cough...spit..Cruz. Trump goes far beyond ideology. Half of Americans have been dealing with bad ideology from the other party since the founding. Trump is dangerous to democracy. Trump  is a possible tragic global event type of person. If Covid 19 isi't that already. 10s of thousands of people were always going to die from Covid 19 no matter who was in the White House. The degree to how many people would be down to what policies someone would try, but the policy, no matter whom, was to be about to limit the lives loss and keep the economy viable. Trump's strategy for Covid 19 is solely based on his getting re-elected. The number of lives lost literally doesn't matter. 

Any president who is in an election year and has a pandemic would think of re-election. That is normal. And all would straddle a line on what is prudent and if it will hurt his or hers election but Trump doesn't straddle the line, he will cross any line of decency, life and death, if it helps re-election. Hence the difference. There is no line with him. One of the senior members of Homeland Security said he told them not to aid in helping the fires in California. Purely out of spite. Lives are at risk. But Trump would not lose one bit of sleep if the death toll went up as a direct result of his inaction out of spite. That's where we are at. Presidents deny states things all the time for political reasons. Life and death things aren't part of that. Ever. When 1000s of lives are at stake we don't do politics. Republicans joined FDR in declaring war on the Japanese. Democrats joined Bush in an overwhelming military response to 911. 

So tell me, Steve. How have we reached the point where these are the candidates that the two major  parties have put forward?  328 million people and this is the best they can do?   It's not something for us to be proud of.

Flash, the present state is symptom of something larger. Neither of these guys would be considered for higher office in their present state not too long ago. The country is broken. Perhaps permanently. The reason I say so is that a pandemic would bring out the humanity in people. Go back to the Spanish Flu in America that killed far, far more. People followed instructions, people tried to help as best they could. Rich and poor were in the same boat. 

Today, the wearing of a simple mask is politicized. I think its irrevocable. No nation that rules its era thinks its time is ending. They have ruled for so long they all think it will go on forever. The Persians, The Romans, The British empire, The Spanish empire, etc, 

The masses of all those and other empires all thought as the American people did "we'll eventually get through it and continue our dominance". There are always cynics and often those are the ones who see the writing on the wall early. 

We have been around for close to 250 years. We have really only had global power for 75 of those years. And already we are declining visibly. The prior nations that ruled their era had a far, far longer time at the top before they showed visibly signs of decline. 

There are nations that had a short, great run and we seem to be following that. Economically we are rotten inside. The currency is not worth much in real terms. It's not backed by anything (and neither is most actually). We have a debt we can never, never pay off. How do you remain a great nation if that's what you have? Impossible. 

The people, the masses, are the real problem. We are too fractured, too divisive and there really is nothing anyone can do about it. Times of national crisis draw people together and that hasn't happened. So, tell me what will if not that? 

I know a guy I worked with from Louisiana. A MAGA hat wearing, nationalist type. Has a confederate flag tattoo on his shoulder. He thinks the country will eventually have to be split up. I don't see that happening at all. Globally, the rest of the world will never let that happen. Why? Okay, do you think China, Russia, the EU and the rest will allow all those nukes, chemical weapons, miiltary jet planes, etc, to split up into splinter countries, especially if these countries are based on fascist ideals? Likely split along ethnic and regional lines. No, it won't happen. No one will let it happen. A new "South" recreated again without a war but with an agreement to split as he advocates will never be allowed to have nukes and will never want to see the other nation with nukes, stealth planes, the tons of chemical weapons, etc. 

When the old USSR fell, the biggest problem was the ICBM nukes that were in these small, poor communist republics, Ukraine, Lithuania, etc. that had to be negotiated. These new countries, former eastern bloc countries had no infrastructure to manage sophisticated nukes. And there was a huge risk they would sell material and info to terrorist groups for money. 

America will likely see a class revolt against the very rich if anything else. The disparity will become a bigger problem in a crash. 

• Like 1

I actually don't think the golf trips by Trump are any big deal. The presidency is a 24 hour job. You never, ever escape it. You are woken in the middle of the night if its serious enough. There are briefings on vacation. its a filtering system. People below the president makes decisions and if its deemed important enough or certain things need white house approval.  

Trump doesn't have to be in the WH to fight the pandemic. What I do object to is the hypocrisy. Trump constantly tweeted about Obama going golfing. Republicans did as well. Now they are silent. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/25/politics/fact-check-trump-obama-golf/index.html

The reason I know the Democrats don't know a thing about the economy is because they didn't say anything when Trump and Republicans kept touting the 'best economy ever' bullshit. Anyone who looks at economic data, trends, who trades, etc, saw it as just a continuation of the Obama years, nothing special. Not saying it was bad, just saying it was over hyped. The Republicans know economics. That's why they can manipulate the narrative  When Obama was in the WH it was 'the debt'. When its Trump its the unemployment rate, the same rate Obama took from over 10 percent to less than 5 percent. Just to be fair, the jobs added under Obama weren't great jobs. The economy changed after 2008. The jobs that were added weren't quality jobs for the most part. The same with Trump. 

Bill Clinton actually formulated his economy based on Republican ideals. He just didn't go as far as Republicans do by giving everything to the rich and 1%. You need a balance. Clinton also got lucky with the tech era beginning in the '90s. When Republicans get control of everything (The WH and Congress) its like a fan with a lot grease and a lot of fire. It gets hot but when it gets too hot it explodes. 10 years of Republican control from 1918 to 1932 gave us the crash in '29. Republicans controlled the WH and Congress for the first 6 years of Bush's 8 years and we saw what happened. One party running everything isn't going to do well all the time. Democratic control of the WH and Congress during the 60s didn't go well. The war in Vietnam aside. When both parties work together it goes well no matter who is in the WH. 

https://news.yahoo.com/myth-trump-economy-121817487.html

The myth of the 'Trump economy'

On 8/19/2020 at 7:58 AM, Coss said:

"they were holding up names of countries and now they're saying 'whoops'." "Even New Zealand, did you see what's going on in New Zealand? 'They beat it, they beat it.' It was like front page, they beat it, because they wanted to show me something," he added. "The problem is, big surge in New Zealand ... it's terrible."

The following cartoon from middle earth, highlights, to me, not just the Covid/Trump/NZ idiocy, but the position of the pendulum, that swings from left to right and back to left again, in the world of politics, not just yankee politics, but the world's politics.

My inexpert observation, is that the right wing authoritarian types, are not doing it so easy these days...

nzc.png.57424f89bce08dd70931283aab32ad64.png