Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

If I were Biden's team, I wouldn't debate. For obvious reasons and perhaps some not so obvious. If I were Trump's team (cough...spit..) I would be pushing for it...hard. Not because Trump is a great debater, but he'll make a circus of it which will help his numbers. 

Trump's best bet is to be just as crass and rude as he's always been. Its got him this far. The best way to combat him I think is to know your facts and call out his lies and say we can fact check right now. "Either you are lying or uninformed, which one is it?".  

The Dems need sort of a left version of Trump without the outright lies. Quick witted, irreverent and a good command of the facts.  There is not much of a middle. I've said this before. There are very few who 'can't decide between the two'. The goal of the Dems is to get their people out to vote in the swing states. It won't matter how many Republicans turn up if Dem voters come out. Republicans will get the vote out. their people will show up greater percentages. The goal I would think is to do what it can to keep as many Dems home as possible. 

• Like 1

Scientific American Endorses Joe Biden

We’ve never backed a presidential candidate in our 175-year history—until now

By THE EDITORS | Scientific American October 2020 Issue

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientific-american-endorses-joe-biden/

Scientific American has never endorsed a presidential candidate in its 175-year history. This year we are compelled to do so. We do not do this lightly.

The evidence and the science show that Donald Trump has badly damaged the U.S. and its people—because he rejects evidence and science. The most devastating example is his dishonest and inept response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which cost more than 190,000 Americans their livesby the middle of September. He has also attacked environmental protections, medical care, and the researchers and public science agencies that help this country prepare for its greatest challenges. That is why we urge you to vote for Joe Biden, who is offering fact-based plans to protect our health, our economy and the environment. These and other proposals he has put forth can set the country back on course for a safer, more prosperous and more equitable future...

more at the link above

6 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Another 4 years Trump and the US will be ruined.

"will be"?  lol

The very fact, tRump and others as bad or worse (Tucker Carlson as one example) are viable candidates is indication America is done. The Romans thought they were still a formidable world power in 400 A.D. and British thought they were more powerful than they actually were in the first several years after WW2. 

When at least 40% of your populace have zero issues with the rule of law, etc as long as their voice is in control, its done for a nation. When the left masses get the same attitude (and its  getting close), its game over then and there. 

America will be politically isolated if the above happens. America is fairly isolated now but it will be quasi permanent if there is a re-election. Why? Because the allies would see Trumpism as a one off. Biden would reset. Allies will still take note of Biden's cognitive issues but they will know his staff and views are back to being in line. Trump win will tell the allies, that the American people can not be trusted at all if its willing to see first hand the lunacy and have no issues with it being ongoing. 

In all these cities, if the masses galvanize and vote for a mayor and city council members who will reign in the police department, there is nothing the cops can do about the will of the people. 

My recommendation? 

Hire a retired military officer (Colonel or higher) who have run the military police for the army or marines. This type of person will be disciplined, no history with the police department. Chief of Polices do nothing because they came from the ranks. You never, ever see reformers as Chief of Police. To get to be Chief you have spent 15 or 20 years or more within the department and by definition has overlooked all manner of police abuse. 

Make police get insurance. Have the police be like doctors with malpractice insurance for example. The tax payer shouldn't be paying these settlements. No cop can stay without insurance and reckless cops will have to pay a premium so high they will either have to commit a huge part of their pay to be a cop or quit. The federal government shouldn't support with anything, any PD that doesn't have it. 

Anyway, a retired military officer should be given the mandate to 'clean up' the department and change the hiring and training. The MPs seem to conduct themselves very well whenever I have been in foreign countries with them around. I don't hear the same abuse from them. 

Another case of Trump projection...

Trump criticized Joe Biden for not implementing a national mask mandate, even though Biden is not the president and has no authority to do so. 

Trump was responding to a question at an ABC News town hall about why he doesn’t support universal mask-wearing and why he doesn’t wear a mask more often. “A good question is, you ask, like Joe Biden,” Trump said. “They said, ‘We’re going to do a national mandate on masks.’ But he didn’t do it, I mean, he never did it.” 

• [Transcript] Trump’s ABC News town hall.

• Dept. of Trump’s ABC News Town Hall A collection of opinion and analysis from Trump’s Tuesday night town hall.

• ‘Just A Firehose Of Lying’: Trump’s Town Hall Widely Roasted As A Train Wreck. “President Donald Trump ventured from the safe space of Fox News to a considerably more challenging town hall hosted by ABC News in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Tuesday night.” (Talking Points Memo)

• ‘He was lying through his teeth.’ “Voters stood up and spoke the truth to President Trump on Tuesday night. And Trump had a very hard time coming out of his Fox bubble to face real questions.” (CNN)

• Trump’s town hall didn’t go well. (CNN)

• Trump’s ABC town hall revealed a president disconnected from reality. “He faced tough questions from voters — and had few answers.” (Vox)

• Trump faces great peril outside Fox News bubble. “President Trump deigned to take hard questions at a town hall on Tuesday night, and the verdict of his propagandists is in: Trump was treated with hideous unfairness even as he managed to convert the spectacle into a triumph through sheer force of his forthrightness and deep benevolence.” (Washington Post)

• Trump squirms in TV spotlight as voters pin him down on Covid, health and race. “The president stepped outside his Fox News bubble on Tuesday night – and endured a barrage of criticism he couldn’t bat back.” (The Guardian)

• Trump, in Philadelphia, Says He ‘Up-Played’ the Virus, Then Downplays It. “President Trump presented a view of the pandemic radically at odds with the view of public health officials, insisting again that the virus would disappear on its own.” (New York Times)

• Trump made at least 22 false or misleading claims at ABC town hall. (CNN)