Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

On 9/13/2020 at 7:27 PM, paul101 said:

Vietnam the most pointless war in American history, how many dead 55k and for what? the Viet Kong won anyway despite the huge sacrifice made by decent service personal. If the Americans had not got the Brits to leave administering Vietnam in 45 the Viet Minn may well have been defeated for good. The Brits employed the Japanese to fight and almost defeat the unpopular communists, unfortunately the French returned, alienated the populace and were hopeless at jungle warfare. If Kennedy had lived he would have certainly prevented the bloodbath. Another American cock up!

Nice history, but not quite so. The Brits occupied VN at the end of WWII to hold it against the VIetminh until the French could arrive. The Brits had no desire to stay there, and couldn't wait to get out of there. So that makes it an American cockup? As to JFK, no one knows what he would have done. It is all guess work, but I'm sure he'd have done a better job than LBJ. 

BTW ..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-s-secret-vietnam-war-missions-lx2056nl8

On 9/7/2020 at 3:09 AM, Coss said:

Well Flash, I have heard Trump say the following words:

“not a war hero, He’s a war hero because he was captured.” also “I like people that weren’t captured.” 

Admittedly it was not in person, it was on TV.  It was Trump saying them in 2015.

Oh and here is a youtube video of Trump saying it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1ajHAeXMU

Trump called John McCain a “loser,” saying the decorated Vietnam War veteran was “not a war hero, He’s a war hero because he was captured.” Trump then added: “I like people that weren’t captured.” 

I've talked to vets who actually knew McCain, and they didn't share your high opinion of him. One USAF colonel told me that McCain was shot down when he returned to do a victory loop ovr the target he'd just attacked. True or not? How should I know, but the Col was a pilot who flew missions over NVN himself.

Trump and McCain never got along. There's a difference between calling one man a loser and saying he called all veterans and war dead losers. There is ample evidence tht he did not.

p.s. I voted for McCain.

• Like 2

Wasn't Mac

28 minutes ago, Flashermac said:

Nice history, but not quite so. The Brits occupied VN at the end of WWII to hold it against the VIetminh until the French could arrive. The Brits had no desire to stay there, and couldn't wait to get out of there. So that makes it an American cockup? As to JFK, no one knows what he would have done. It is all guess work, but I'm sure he'd have done a better job than LBJ. 

BTW ..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-s-secret-vietnam-war-missions-lx2056nl8

That's about what they vid says. Did not JFK want to bring all the troops back but had to keep it out of the public eye until after the elections? Also, he did sign an executive order to start bringing them back which  LBJ cancelled as soon as he could. I'd say Vietnam was the biggest mistake in American history after the civil war, it achieved nothing in the end except a lot of decent, brave dead guys.

No one has ever confirmed the JFK planned that. But no, there was no such executive order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_John_F._Kennedy

I think I'd put Afghanistan ahead of the VN War as the biggest mistake. Just what the hell are we doing there, if not defending the opium fields, the way the conspiracy folks insist? US troops have been there 19 years, FFS!  The Brits tried in Afghanistan - and failed. Russia tried in Afghanistan - and failed. And the US?  I don't know one Soldier or Marine who has been there and doesn't think we should get out. They all tell me that as soon as we leave, the Taliban will take over again. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47391821

As to the US participation in the VN War achieving nothing, one can make a good case that if it hadn't done so, the communists would have conquered Thailand as well. I remember when when the Thai military was engaged with communist ":insurgents" at Khao Kor and other places.  Malaysia was also very worried and openly supported South VIetnam.  When the communists ruled Laos and Cambodia, the domestic communists would have been a serious threat. Thailand had a military government at the time, which was not necessarily very popular outside of Bangkok.

Yes, the Thais were overall contented with their government, but so were most South Vietnamese with theirs. The communists didn't care in either country. They wanted power. In the 1970s my university students were donating blood and contributing money to help the Thai soldiers fighting against the communists at Khao Kor, while the commies had support from Hanoi and Beijing. NVA soldiers had been killed on several occasions inside of Thailand.

http://outbackthailand.com/khao-kho-thailands-forgotten-war/

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/DOC_0000012498.pdf

p.s. In the 1970s I had a nodding acquaintanceship with the Thai commander at Khao Kor, while today I know several Thai ex-communists. They've said to me, "I made a mistake."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the commies were a threat to Thailand how come they did not take over after the N Viets were victorious? Probably be a better country today if they had done, could hardly be much worse really. The USA are war criminals of course. From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions—equal to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes, 24-hours a day, for 9 years – making Laos the most heavily bombed country per capita in history. If that is not a war crime I don't know what is. What the USA did in SEA was as bad as the Khmer Rouge. You have to add to that agent orange and naplam attacks on innocent civilians, Afghanistan was a side show in human suffering the USA has caused.

The Democratic party are utterly corrupt. They are corrupt in the traditional way. People , companies, etc with money and power have undue influence over them. Its wrong and its pervasive and unfortunately not abnormal in politics and governing. 

The Republicans are the same but have now become far worse. The masses, their support have given the elected officials their okay to violate laws, ethics, etc, with the proviso they, at least in speech (certainly not deed), give them power. Trump is openly stating (again) he won't accept any result where he is not the winner. Its not as if he is leading in the polls either. Even Republican pollsters say he is behind. It is one of a long, long list of things that tells me that the Dems should not parlay with a group that will openly lie.