Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I thought the Basic Principle of the First Amendment was “Separation of Church and State” yet I see/hear many US Citizens, both politicians and Joe Public trying to put the two together.

I have no problem with religion (except the Catholic Church), it doesn’t matter to me if someone is Christian, Hindi, Muslim etc as long as they don’t try to preach to me and/or stay out of politics.

1 hour ago, Mekong said:

I thought the Basic Principle of the First Amendment was “Separation of Church and State” yet I see/hear many US Citizens, both politicians and Joe Public trying to put the two together.

I have no problem with religion (except the Catholic Church), it doesn’t matter to me if someone is Christian, Hindi, Muslim etc as long as they don’t try to preach to me and/or stay out of politics.

The 1st amendment does not separate church and state:

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prevents the government from making laws which regulate an establishment of religion, or that would prohibit the free exercise of religion, or abridge the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the freedom of assembly, or the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

Please note, on the US currency it states, in God we trust.

“In God We Trust” is on currency by law. First Amendment prevents the government from making laws (I.e. religion).Does the governments recognition of god not an establishment of a state church? 

Don’t get me wrong, this is not anti USA, the UK is a lot worse with CofE (Church of England) which is a State religion that in the past killed opponents, an example of how not to do it, even though US Protestants, 43% of population are from CofE

Society has changed since 1791, when the God Fearing founders wrote the Amendment. Back then was pre Darwin therefore Pre Darwinism and his theory of evolution, also back then there was only Christianity, whereas now it is a multicultural society, what do Hindus think being told “In God We Trust” Brahma would make more sense, same as Islam with Allah. Buddhists don’t believe in any god but are being told to trust a deity that does not exist

65% of Americans identify with Christianity, so it is OK in “The Land of the Free” to impose God on the other 35%? 

3 hours ago, Mekong said:

I thought the Basic Principle of the First Amendment was “Separation of Church and State” yet I see/hear many US Citizens, both politicians and Joe Public trying to put the two

Please note, on the US currency it states, in God we trust.

Being the kind-hearted person I am, anyone offended by the in God we trust on the US currency, feel free to forward said currency to me...5555555

Me thinks most people never look or think about the in God we trust.

For me, leave it on the currency or remove it, either way is OK by me.

43 minutes ago, cavanami said:

Being the kind-hearted person I am, ...

Cav, picking up your statement I may most respectfully appeal on your aforementioned kind heart to stop insulting the intelligence of this fine board by quoting such cracked up morons like Dr. Corsi, Jesus in the leatherjacket and the nutcase-lady whose name I don´t now. Nobody reads this anyway.

Hmmm....a little more clarity  To most the first amendment DOES separate church and state. If we look at the origin of it and the country it was precisely to separate them. Most of the colonies in the early days were founded by religious sects. Most of them ironically enough were a pariah in England and Europe (Quakers, Puritans for example). 

The framers were really not too religious. They were deists, but not overly religious. They expressly in speeches and writings did not want a head of state who was also the head of the church like the king in England. Also, some like Ben Franklin, a Quaker, knew what it was like to be a religious outcast from his church's ancestry. 

The 'In God We Trust' was put on currency in the 1950s during the Cold War, and Red Scare. It was placed on there as a rebuke of the 'godless communists'. In any other time it would have been rejected. Christmas was made a national holiday in a manner where it was non religious. There was some nuance because it could be argued in court the government is giving preference to one religion over others. 

So, I would suggest the 1st amendment was to make clear the government was not gong to have a state religion and make sure religion is not used in governance. The government, I think, have routinely violated the spirit of the 1st amendment. 

Federal judge in Iowa ridicules Donald Trump's pardons

A federal judge in Iowa who has warned against political corruption is ridiculing US President Donald Trump’s pardons, including those issued to convicted Republican campaign operatives and former members of Congress.

“It’s not surprising that a criminal like Trump pardons other criminals,” senior US District Judge Robert Pratt of the Southern District of Iowa told The Associated Press in a brief phone interview.

In a bit of humour, he said: “But apparently to get a pardon, one has to be either a Republican, a convicted child murderer or a turkey.

Pratt was referring to pardons Trump granted to his former campaign aides convicted during the special counsel's Russia inquiry, former GOP congressmen who committed crimes, and security contractors convicted of killing innocent civilians in Iraq...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/300195569/federal-judge-in-iowa-ridicules-donald-trumps-pardons

I hope I am just being panicky and frightened, despite my recent negative experiences with two persons from the nation of Iran, I hope that nothing happens vis a vis, USA vs Iran, in the next cupla weeks, before January 20.

My feeling is that Donald will want to try out the toys, he's not yet used, before the toys are taken away. It remains to be seen, if the keepers of the toys, can subvert or obfuscate, any untoward use of same.

I am an observer of events that portend  larger and often unforeseen actions:

US flies B-52 bombers to the Middle East in show of force

The US military flew nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to the Middle East Wednesday "to underscore the US military's commitment to regional security and demonstrate a unique ability to rapidly deploy overwhelming combat power on short notice," according to a statement from US Central Command, which oversees military operations in the region.

The bombers were sent from the US. The flight comes amid ongoing tensions with Iran and Iranian-backed militias in Iraq, as well as concerns that Iran may seek to retaliate against US interests to mark the one-year anniversary of the drone strike that killed Gen. Qasem Soleimani, Iran's second most powerful figure at the time.

"The United States continues to deploy combat-ready capabilities into the US Central Command area of responsibility to deter any potential adversary and make clear that we are ready and able to respond to any aggression directed at Americans or our interests," Gen. Frank McKenzie, the commander of US Central Command, said in a statement. 

Wednesday's flight constitutes the third bomber deployment in the Middle East in the last 45 days.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/30/politics/us-b52s-gulf-iran/index.html

NINTCHDBPICT000615274147.jpg?strip=all&w