Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I don't know if I have this correct, but when I log in, I have the recent content show, and it shows me a list of:

Topic headings,  that have unread content in them, with a precis,  of the 1st unread post in each. (Activity/Unread Content)

It doesn't show me all, the unread posts in the threads, I have to click on each topic to get that.

So yes the USA thread is often at the top of the list, sometimes it's the only topic in the list.

But I don't get all the posts in a list, unless I go looking. (Activity/All Activity)

It is more akin to a Private Members Club then a Public House, with 4 members monopolizing the thread and therefore the board. Also things tend to get lost in the USA Thread such as Fossil Fuel v Renewables a couple of weeks ago and the Decline of Gasoline yesterday, these should have threads of their own and not be lost in Republican v Democrat bickering.

1. Anyone can post. 2. It's possible to enact the 'ignore' button and thereby not see posts by certain people. I've actually employed this tactic on one or two. 3. All threads meander, go off on tangents, rabbit holes if enough people comment on it. 

If we are all honest, Americans (and a few others) discussing America as if America is the only important thing in the universe is a few things to many if not most people: boring, self important, and a few other things...and whisper it quietly....but they'd be right. 

In the censorship is being suggested to address personal annoyance. If we are all honest. Secondary reasons might be that some folks want the same commitment and energy to be applied to topics and threads they find more acceptable. 

I get it and can certainly understand it. I've taken a break once in a while, sometimes for months a few years ago. 

Mekong, it's just crazy, Vorani the very good thai commentator has a video on the coup today.

Frankly I can see Thailand going the way of Myanmar, given the love and commitment that Myanmar people have to education, they want to study to learn, not to get a piece of paper, I can see Myanmar in 20 years, even with the coups, passing Thailand

Hunger Games salute catching fire in post-coup Myanmar

salutes.jpg

Burmese politicians and celebrities are making a gesture of defiance very familiar to Thais who’ve raised it for over six years to resist authoritarianism.

A symbol flashed in since the 2014 coup through last year’s protests, the three-finger salute from The Hunger Games films has jumped the border and been taken up by Burmese opposed to the new junta installed after Monday’s coup. ...

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/hunger-games-salute-catching-fire-in-post-coup-myanmar/

Coss - you'd think someone would check these guys before they go anywhere

OOOPS

Showing of wealth is Thailand si very important - serious comment - they put Apple phones ahead of anything vital

Federal Territories Minister Annuar Musa probably went a little too bougie on his timepiece option when preaching about alleviating poverty during a press conference yesterday. 

All eyes have been on the gold watch he wore at the event up until today, after photos of the minister were published, showing him slumped on a couch while holding up a piece of paper and showing off the accessory. 

Could it be a Richard Mille, which could cost about a million ringgit? The timepiece has gotten so many online curious. 

“A million on the wrist,” Twitter user @Karrotgold said yesterday with a photo of the Swiss luxury watch. More than a thousand people shared that post. 

annuar-musa-watch-2-960x540.jpg

The Minister was at the Federal Territory Day 2021 celebration in Kuala Lumpur when he made the speech highlighting that 30,000 families have been living under the poverty line in Kuala Lumpur, referring to households earning below RM2,280 (US$550) a month. The 64-year-old went on to brag about the sacks of rice he would be donating to each of those families. 

“In Kuala Lumpur, there are people who don’t have basic needs like food, clothes, and a home,” he had said. “We expect to distribute about 30,000 bags of rice these families every month.” 

There were also those who said that his watch could be Hublot’s Spirit of Big Bag timepiece worth nearly RM200,000 (about US$50,000).

Either way, the Ketereh MP’s potentially tone-deaf display of wealth while speaking about the city’s impoverished has left a bitter taste. 

“Sir, that thing on your wrist can feed 30,000 families,” @EsterrificK wrote.

“Poor people need to exist so rich people can wear watches worth more than a car,” @InjangNation chimed in. 

“This government wakes up and thinks “what else can we do to offend the people?” @Kjiswarrior said.

https://coconuts.co/kl/news/all-eyes-on-minister-annuar-musas-fancy-watch-during-speech-on-poverty/

Mekong - so you'd drink unfiltered Bangkok water?

I remember never drinking tap water, but I did make most of our ice without.

I'm pretty normal

It’s that time of the year when salty tap water is a thing in Bangkok, and officials once again blame drought conditions.

Bangkok Gov. Aswin Kwanmuang announced today that residents, especially children, the elderly, the ill and small pets should avoid drinking water from the tap as a one-two punch of storm surge and drought have lowered water levels and increased salinity in the Chao Phraya River.

He insisted that the brackish water could still be used for other purposes or even consumed by healthy people (if they pinch their noses). His only suggestion? Ease off on the salt otherwise consumed, for “good health,” the sage governor advised.

Salt concentration in water for home use is not supposed to exceed 0.25 grams per liter. However, water across metro Bangkok has been peaking at 1.18 grams per liter, according to the metro utility’s real-time water quality information.

drink-1887305_1280-960x540.jpg

The water’s been off for some weeks and, like smog and booze bans and flooding, its spoiling has become an annual occurrence. Around this time last year, officials warned it would persist through May. This year, no words were spent on how long it would last or what would be done to fix it. So it’s just a thing, now.

People haven’t masked their resentment about the warnings offered with no proper solutions put forward.

“Do you have a long-term solution rather than a warning? We have been facing this problem for several years now,” Watchapol Tulyavilaikul wrote on social media.

“Last year, I had to buy water to drink for several months although I have a water filter at home,” Korapas Sittichumroon wrote. “Find a long-term solution please. This is becoming a fundamental issue of people living in Bangkok, much like the PM 2.5 smog which adds to our other long-term issues of traffic congestion and flood.”

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bangkoks-tap-water-is-scuzzy-again-city-hall-blames-the-universe-again/

6 hours ago, Coss said:

I don't know if I have this correct, but when I log in, I have the recent content show, and it shows me a list of:

Topic headings,  that have unread content in them, with a precis,  of the 1st unread post in each. (Activity/Unread Content)

It doesn't show me all, the unread posts in the threads, I have to click on each topic to get that.

So yes the USA thread is often at the top of the list, sometimes it's the only topic in the list.

But I don't get all the posts in a list, unless I go looking. (Activity/All Activity)

Coss,

I configured “My Activity Streams” to show all recent posts, same as the board was years ago, I am an inherent lazy bastard who wants all into to hands without requiring a second click.

Remember that my “Click” finger is also my nose picking and arse scratching finger.