Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

One thing we should be doing is not having a congresspersons salary and benefits determined by them. For example. Cav obviously hates Nancy Pelosi. Part of his taxes pays her salary. Nancy Pelosi is elected by the people in the San Francisco area. Not even the whole city, only a part. Why should Cav's taxes pay the salary for someone he had no say in electing? Congress tries to gaslight the American people saying 'Well, she is doing things for America' Bullshit. Her primary responsibility is to serve the people in her district. She has no obligation to help a coal miner in West Virginia or a rancher in Kansas or a suburban mom outside Philadelphia. Nor she should she. There are things before Congress that regularly concerns all Americans but in theory she votes by how much it positively or affects her constituents. 

So, her district should be paying her salary and benefits. I would even say not even the state of California but that state can make its own decision but for sure, none of us should be. Let each district or state determine its own salary for the people they represent. If Texas wants to pay Ted Cruz 1 million year, that's their business and if NY wants to pay AOC 50k a year, that's their business. 

Steve, yes to most of what you say, but from my point of view, business as usual.

The rest of the world is breathing a sigh of relief, that your lot, is back to normal, I agree about Junteenth, 1/6 &c.

What consumes my days at the moment, is awaiting news, of the travails and misfortunes that are queueing up, to befall the descendants of Friedrich Drumpf, orig. of Germany.

And another more philosophical question, on the tangent of "Truth will out" - If there is a piss tape, why has it remained undistributed? I ponder the following:

It is not actually a piss tape, but something equally as bad, or worse.

What ever it is, there are good reasons to keep it quiet, primarily that, unless Donald actually attacks Putin or goes up against him, Putin is keeping his powder dry, for now and the future.

Even if Trump were to completely fade from view, forever, by dying or similar, there is no benefit to be gained from releasing such great Kompromat, if only to be able to demonstrate, how effective the number one, KGB boy is.

So our hopes for seeing such Kompromat, rely on Putin's political fortunes, when one day, he slips from the throne of autocracy, someone will empty his boxes of useful stuff into the public realm.

So I've got a little bit of a wait.

20 hours ago, chocolat steve said:

You can pay someone who is currently on welfare, 15 dollars an hour to simply wear a orange vest and hold a 'Detour' sign.

This reminds me of something I was told once...

In NZ we had a National Rail service, it was big, inefficient, over staffed and loss making. So they sold it to private business. Mass layoffs ensued. Over recent times the government has had to buy back parts of it, when "business' walked away. Great money making model for the business men.

But here's the important bit.

Before: there was a large work force, who had jobs, were more or less, doing something, maybe not efficiently, but something, they had families, mortgages and spent money and most importantly they had self esteem.

After: No jobs, no mortgages, no money and increasingly no families. What they did get, was lack of self esteem, forays into drugs and crime, that are not easily reversed. For every good news story, about "I reinvented my career, look at me" there were 10 blokes who were cast onto the scrap heap, beneficiaries, who were to forever become, burdens on society and the taxpayer.

In my view the "primary profit motive" is to blame.

Businesses should be sustainable, in the environment, and for the people who do the work. Profit is important, but excessive profit at the expense of people's lives and society, is not. It does not mean that the profiteer is "smart", it means they are reprehensible.

Coss, you missed out an important part, the Government of the time used the money from privatisation to “Balance the Books” where as in fact it wasn’t theirs to sell in the first place, it belonged to the people. the taxpayer had paid for and owned a state entity.

In the UK there were several nationalised industry’s, British Telecom, British Gas, British Rail, British Airways, GPO (General Post Office) and CEGB (Central Electricity Generating Board), to name a few privatised, all under conservative governments. 
The torte were clever, initial IPO the companies were undervalued and shares were offered to all the UK public. now off course your average conservative voter could afford a few shares whereas your labout voter, who was lucky to have enough for a bag of chips on a Friday night, could not. Share prices doubled the day after IPO, the rich got richer on the back or the working man, the Governmemt sold state assets which belonged to the people and were not theirs to sell, and the decline of society which you mentioned commenced. Talk about “Selling off the Family Silver” 

What happened to the money from the sales? Used to pay for tax cuts for high band tax payers.

3B790C37-74ED-4984-8F90-8BE5CFF11162.png

7 hours ago, Coss said:

This reminds me of something I was told once...

In NZ we had a National Rail service, it was big, inefficient, over staffed and loss making. So they sold it to private business. Mass layoffs ensued. Over recent times the government has had to buy back parts of it, when "business' walked away. Great money making model for the business men.

But here's the important bit.

Before: there was a large work force, who had jobs, were more or less, doing something, maybe not efficiently, but something, they had families, mortgages and spent money and most importantly they had self esteem.

After: No jobs, no mortgages, no money and increasingly no families. What they did get, was lack of self esteem, forays into drugs and crime, that are not easily reversed. For every good news story, about "I reinvented my career, look at me" there were 10 blokes who were cast onto the scrap heap, beneficiaries, who were to forever become, burdens on society and the taxpayer.

In my view the "primary profit motive" is to blame.

Businesses should be sustainable, in the environment, and for the people who do the work. Profit is important, but excessive profit at the expense of people's lives and society, is not. It does not mean that the profiteer is "smart", it means they are reprehensible.

Here is the thing about that inefficient rail. Money changes hands it isn't lost. Those workers, reinvested their salary into the local economy. They bought or rented homes. They shopped at the local grocer, all manner of businesses. The economy actually distributed their salaries back into the country. 

Private businesses sometimes takes that revenue overseas. Not saying the private business who bought the rail did but if they are a multi-national company some of that money may have been redistributed overseas. 

The Paris Agreement was something similar to what I wanted to see the big nations do. My preference would have been to have the G8 unite to change all their economies to green in come industries. Cars for a start. All government cars over a certain time, be hybrids or whatever kind of vehicle that we can get a consensus on. 

Also, there are some government functions all governments do well. I read a study years ago about the big inefficient ones. Conservatives like to say that the government doesn't know how to run businesses and that's not true. What you will find is corruption, graft, etc, behind huge so called inefficient state owned businesses. 

There are all kinds of consultants that can spot things as well. 

Have you really given “GreenEnergy” any thought or are you just buying into the gibberish being spewed by the tree huggers?
All figures are based on UK a country I know about.

25,000,000 Households using 3750 kw/h per annum 93,750 Million kw/h

32,500,000 Cars which require 4,000 kw/h per annum (Based on 10,000 miles per annum) 130,000 Million kw/h
Over 8.000.000 of these car owners do not have off road parking so where do they charge their vehicles?

That is a 230% increase in power generation requirements. not to mention the requirement to overhaul the T&D Network (Transmission and Distribution) to support the increased load

Wind Power has a footprint of 3 times the space requirement over Fossil fuel or Nuclear, Solar Power 9 times.

Battery storage has 3 times the footprint but only good for 4 hours so for 12 hours requires 9 times, where to build all of these UK has limited space.

Batteries themselves require Rare Metals such as Cobalt and Lithium to manufacture, the purification process produces GHG (Green House Gases), not as much as fossil fuels but not entirely “Green”

Solar Panels manufacture produce 5% of GHG of Fossil Fuel, but not entirely””Green”.  Also uses Sulphuric and Hydrochloric acid, lots of water and the possibility of contaminating the water table.

Wind Turbines are 4 times less than Solar. 

I could go on for hours, Green Energy is not Green

• Like 1

...related to my other post, I'd also like to see the G8 or even better the G20, get involved in the environment as well. The Sahara desert was once mostly grasslands. There is a present plan to plant a million trees in sub Sahara to stop the expansion of the desert. I applaud that. 

I'd love to see a financial incentive to save the animals of Africa that are used for Chinese meds or western exotic markets, etc. If the lasts Rhino is gone its not good for all of us. So, how about an incentive like the more Rhinos such and such countries have, the more money. Pay these game wardens a good wage. Use modern technology, donate it, such as drones, night vision glasses. Give these game wardens the salary and tech to do the job. 

Same with saving the Amazon in South America. I'd love to see some leadership at the G20 level for all these things, green, environment, etc, lets get together and work on viable solutions. We may not agree with most things with Russia and China but they are globally influential as well and so work on common / mutual interests. 

Planting a few tress does not compensate for the exploitation of Child Labour in their DRC mining Cobalt for all the batteries which will be required.

What is going on in the DRC is absolutely disgusting but the West G8 / G20)turn a blind eye because of the need for Cobalt.