Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

On this day in 1965: After a performance at Mississippi State University, Johnny Cash and his band stayed at the University Motel. In the early morning hours, Cash was caught outside picking flowers after the city's curfew and arrested on charges of public drunkenness, trespassing on private property and indecent exposure.

Cash spent the night at the Oktibbeha County Jail and was released after paying a $36 fine. He was symbolically pardoned at the city's Johnny Cash Flower Pickin' Festival in 2007 and $36 was given back to his daughter Cindy. See

85 years ago on May 12, 1937, George Carlin was born in Manhattan. In the 1970s, he underwent a professional makeover going from clean cut to someone who represented American counter-culture. In 1972, he began performing his most well-known monologue "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television" that got him arrested (pictured) and was the centerpiece of the 1978 Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation which affirmed the government's authority to censor material on public airwaves. His 50-year career generated 23 albums, 14 HBO specials, 130 Tonight Show appearances and 3 books. Here are a few quotes (without any dirty words) in honor of the occasion:

• I think I am, therefore, I am … I think.

• Isn’t making a smoking section in a restaurant like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?

• I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, ‘Where’s the self-help section?’ She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

• What if there were no hypothetical questions?

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

• If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

• When I ask how old your toddler is, I don’t need to hear ’27 months.’ ‘He’s 2’ will do just fine. He’s not a cheese. And I didn’t really care in the first place.

• If the black box flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why isn’t the whole airplane made out of that stuff?

• Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

• Some people see things that are and ask, ‘Why?’ Some people dream of things that never were and ask, ‘Why not?’ Some people have to go to work and don’t have time for all that.

• Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

• ‘Bipartisan’ usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.

• Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

• Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

• I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.

• One can never know for sure what a deserted area can look like.

• When you step on the brakes, your life is in your foot’s hands.

• Some people have no idea what they’re doing, and a lot of them are really good at it.

George Carlin died on June 28, 2008 in Santa Monica, CA. He was 71 years old.

But Some and Most both mean possibly all

• Some People   At least one, possibly all
  • Most People.   A Majority, possibly all

So, out of 10 people Some equals 1=10 whilst Most equals 6-10.

So in a room of 10 people do which 7 are learned saying most people have no idea would infer they all have an idea since the 3 who don’t is outside the range of “Most” but saying “Some” would be correct.

Most applies to specific scenarios whereas some applies to all.

e.g. Saying “Most Board Members haven’t been to Thailand” on Thai360 would probably be incorrect, Some probably but not most. Saying the same thing on say “Mumsnet” then “Most would probably be correct,

I'm pleased to see, that you understand my amendment :)

~ ergo, it is my position, that a Majority of people have no idea what they’re doing, and a lot of them are really good at it.

Additionally the two terms "Some" and "Most" cannot be "possibly all".

Some" is a subset, "Most" is also a subset, though a much bigger one.

Incorrect.

When George Carlin made his comment it was to a “George Carlin” audience of which most are learned. Therefore “Some” was the correct adjective to use when the line was delivered, as per previous comment, need to view the scenario and context

Some and Most can mean Possibly all, since possible means “Might or Might not”. You are confusing with Probable “Likely to”

Most is not “Much Bigger” just 51% upwards compared to 1% for some, 99% can be described as both Some and Most. It is possible for some to be less than most but impossible for most to be more than some.

>>When George Carlin made his comment it was to a “George Carlin” audience of which most are learned.

You over estimate, the educational achievements of "most are learned" I would suggest, most of his audience are there for other achievements, like having the entry price, rather than their learning.

Your next issuance, on Some and Most, is deteriorating into fractious tangents.