Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Malaysia also has affirmative action for the majority. For one thing, the government has set quotas on university admission for the citizens of Chinese and Indian ancestry. A Malaysian national ID card identifies you as Malaysian, Chinese Malaysian, or Indian Malaysian. Your religion is also on the ID card, and if you're an ethnic Malaysian you're automatically listed as Muslim, no matter what you believe (or don't believe) in. Inter-religious marriages are largely forbidden. I had some Chinese Malaysian friends a few years back who had all gone to university in Australia. They told me they couldn't get into a university in Malaysia. I remember one year when the top scorer on the national university entrance exam couldn't couldn't gain admission to a single universities. He was an ethnic Chinese and ended up going to Australia

My friends told me how surprised they were in Australia when they'd ask an Asian classmate what he was, and he say "I'm Thai." They'd say, "But you look Chinese." The classmates would answer, "My grandparents (or great grandparents) were from China, but I'm Thai." In Malaysia no one would never say that. They'd always add their ethnic group. I'm not surprised that many Chinese Malaysians have moved to Australia. As a Chinese Malaysian lawyer said to me, "I got tired of being treated like second class citizen in my own country."

Malaysia’s system of racial preferences should be scrapped

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2017/05/18/malaysias-system-of-racial-preferences-should-be-scrapped

Thomas Sowell has written a few books on affirmative action type programs around the world. I have read several of his books  Brilliant mind, although i think he is a self hating black man, but nonetheless...haha...he is great at statistically supporting assertions in his books. AA is pretty much dead in America and has been for a while. It's not really relevant any longer. 

Been reading more of South Africa and such and didn't realize that over 70 percent of the land, the best arable, fertile land is owned by the Afrikaaners. So its not difficult to see the resentment and anger. That said, both sides have some arguments. Just hope it works out in the end. Rarely that happens with nations with that kind of history but hope springs eternal. 

Anyway, seems like the sharks are circling Trump. I love the idea of a non politician coming to Washington DC. So, the one good thing about Trump's election is that a non traditional person got elected. I think that is good in theory in that it expands the number of people we deem eligible culturally to be President and was sorely needed. The problem specifically with Trump is that you want that person to be more honest than the people already in Washington DC, not worse morally and ethically. The "outsider" candidate only works if the "outsider" is better than what is already there. If its a business person, Warren Buffet would be a person pretty much everyone can agree on is amply qualified and honest from what we know. 

If Trump was honest and a true maverick, even being a Republican I think people would have accepted him if not respected him. I'm finding it hard to see how he can be supported to "drain the swamp" with the baggage he has and brings. Either there is a desperation for a segment of the country to see someone, anyone other than a career politician even if they have ethical issues or he is being supported because he appeals to some people's more 'base' instincts. 

The interesting long term thing is how does this change presidential elections in the future? 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, cavanami said:

Authorities: Iowa student killed by Mexican in US illegally

MONTEZUMA, Iowa (AP) — A man from Mexico living in the U.S. illegally has confessed to kidnapping college student Mollie Tibbetts while she was running in her small Iowa hometown, killing her and dumping her body in a cornfield, authorities said Tuesday.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the death of Tibbetts, whose July 18 disappearance set off a massive search involving state and federal authorities.

Rivera led investigators early Tuesday to a body believed to be Tibbetts in a cornfield about 12 miles (19 kilometers) southeast of Brooklyn, Iowa, where Tibbetts was last seen running, Division of Criminal Investigation special agent Rick Rahn said.

"I can't speak about the motive. I can just tell you that it seemed that he followed her, seemed to be drawn to her on that particular day, for whatever reason he chose to abduct her," Rahn told reporters at a news conference outside the sheriff's office in Montezuma, where Rivera was being jailed...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officials-believe-body-iowa-student-mollie-tibbetts-found-132827935.html

It turns out that the alleged killer was living rent free on a farm owned by a big Iowa GOP contributor.  I doubt if the hard lined anti immigration leaders will mention this fact.

73% of Democrats Want ‘A Fresh Face’ As 2020 Nominee

Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden are among those touted as serious Democratic presidential contenders in 2020, but three-out-of-four Democrats think their party needs to turn to someone new.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/july_2018/73_of_democrats_want_a_fresh_face_as_2020_nominee

Interesting ...

Voters Don’t Regret Hillary’s Loss

The economy’s booming, but America remains sorely divided. Would we all be better off with a second President Clinton in the White House instead? Voters don’t think so. 

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that only 40% of Likely U.S. Voters believe America would be better off today if Hillary Clinton had been elected president instead of Donald Trump. A plurality (47%) disagrees and says the country would not be better off. Thirteen percent (13%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
Predictably, 74% of Democrats think the country would be better off under a Hillary Clinton presidency, and even more Republicans (79%) disagree. But voters not affiliated with either major party - by a two-to-one margin (54% to 28%) - do not believe America would be better off if Hillary Clinton had been elected in 2016 instead of Trump.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/june_2018/voters_don_t_regret_hillary_s_loss

On 8/23/2018 at 6:08 AM, chocolat steve said:

I think Gore lost his own state in '00 (Tenn.), can't think of a last time if ever a winning candidate lost his own state. 

You recall correctly.

Had Gore won Tennessee, we would not have had the Florida drama.

It is EXTREMELY rare for a Presidential candidate to lose his home state and yet win the election overall.  Given that Noo Yawk is Democrat to the stones, it is not surprising that Trump lost that state.  As for why he won the election, well, look at the county-level or poll district-level maps and you will begin to understand.  (Those maps will also give you a very strong hint as to why the US has the Electoral College.)

We have the benefit of district by district voting after the fact. I think Hillary was much too cocky. She didn't run a good campaign and I think though she would easily beat Trump. She didn't gauge just how bad she was personally disliked. Especially by white males. I have heard Democrat voters say how much she was disliked. I don't get it or understand it but it is what it is. I've asked on here a months and months ago and its not on policy its deeply personal and there is no concrete reason. She represents something in that part of the public she just can't shake. A fair amount of women as well surprisingly.  Had she used the Axelrod and the other key members of Obama's team who have had the best polling we've ever seen, I think she would have won. She refused to visit certain swing states like Wisconsin and Michigan when the local Democratic parties begged her to because they best understood their state and their internal polling was saying she was in trouble. Never, ever under estimate an opponent. 

New York is flippable. NY has elected plenty of Republican governors as well as Republican mayors of NYC recently to suggest otherwise.she would have won I think.