Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Trump Is On His Way to Record-Setting Defense Spending in 2018

https://www.thenation.com/article/trump-is-on-his-way-to-record-setting-defense-spending-in-2018/

Early estimates for 2017 suggest that arms sales approvals in the first year of his administration exceeded the Obama administration’s record in its last year in office—no mean feat given that President Obama set a record for overseas arms deals during his eight-year tenure.

8 minutes ago, Flashermac said:

Sad thing is it might not have been much different under Hillary.

It would have been much different under Killary...much worse!

Obama spent money on the military to replace all the bombs that he dropped!

Just to say that Trump exceeded Obama's spending is meaningless...what was the money spent on? that will give meaning.

For the record I am against unchecked (and even some legal)  immigration for reasons I won't get into. Not all, we are a nation of immigrants and will always be. I do think there is an agenda to Immigration and not always what we think it is depending on your ideology. I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, be it your family, gender, nationality and yes...your race. Nothing at all. The problem is when that pride crosses the Rubicon and you believe others are beneath you and inferior to you. Traveling internationally you usually don't mind when people are proud of their country and have some pride in it. Again, there is a line.  He makes some interesting points. It's also normal (but probably not right) that the nation that is the premier world power feels better than everyone else. The Romans did. The Persians did in various recurring empires, the British certainly did and of course Americans. It's almost a given. 

Had Hillary been elected we would have had a much bigger presence in Syria. Probably boots on the ground. We already do (special ops) but visibly have them on the ground. Obama lowered the Defense budget after it went up after his first few years and he did a lot of drone kills. A ton of it. More than anyone else (on balance its fairly new technology). Trump has said and is going to raise the budget for the military. 

I don't see where Trump has stopped or slowed down the pace of Obama's military attacks. As far as we know the drone strikes are still going on. There has been no decrease in our presence in Iraq or Afghanistan. 

I think its fair to say neither Obama, Trump or Hillary did, is or would reduce our military presence overseas. It's a given. Only an election of either of the Pauls would stop that or Bernie. 

There are a LOT of poor in America. We often think of the inner city only, black areas but there are a lot of poor of all stripes. A lot of poor Latinos in parts of the south and west. Lots of poor whites in West Virginia, Mississppi, Kentucky and Alabama and have been poor for 250 years or more. There are now many poor young and educated people in America who have crushing college loans and can not find the traditional corporate entry job. 

Are the chronically poor, the generationally poor, their own fault? Partially? 

In defense of Trump (yes, believe it or not), judges, or at least some do have bias. I don't know if this specific judge Trump is referring to is biased but jusges do have bias, because theyare human and it's impossible to separate the rule of law from personal experiences, likes and dislikes. That's obvious. As you go farther up the food chain I think it becomes less. However, there is an ideological bent to some judges. Both parties have an issue to some extent. 

That said, I do think that Trump has alienated some conservative judges and thus we see Roberts clap back a little. It may work against him in some decisions that come before the federal and supreme courts.

Justice Roberts has been corrupted, IMO. He should have recused himself from cases but he did not. Word is, someone has incriminating
evidence on him....

What circuit has the highest number of rulings of theirs overturned...9th! with a whooping 79% of their rulings overturned!

What job can you have with a 79% failure rate and not get sacked? answer: 9th circuit!

To be fair though, if the higher court is ideological different, then its going to overturn more of a lower court. We should be accurate about it though (For those not in the know the 9th circuit is based in SF but encompasses most of the far western America including Hawaii and territories. "Courrupted" and being extorted is a bit much though. There is no evidence he is being extorted. The 9th circuit doesn't get overturned more than any other circuit. Its up there but not the highest and again, the over turn rate for courts often coincide with differences in who appointed most of the judges and the ideological slant of the court going by who appointed them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Ninth_Circuit

From 1999 to 2008, of the 0.151% of Ninth Circuit Court rulings that were reviewed by the Supreme Court, 20% were affirmed, 19% were vacated, and 61% were reversed; the median reversal rate for all federal appellate courts was 68.29% for the same period.[9] From 2010 to 2015, of the cases it accepted to review, the Supreme Court reversed around 79 percent of the cases from the Ninth Circuit, ranking its reversal rate third among the circuits; the median reversal rate for all federal circuits for the same time period was around 70 percent.[10]

Some argue the court's high percentage of reversals is illusory, resulting from the circuit hearing more cases than the other circuits. This results in the Supreme Court reviewing a smaller proportion of its cases, letting stand the vast majority of its cases