Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I don't like any rule changes that says a simple majority carries it on things like raising taxes. A majority rule for the overall budget, yes. Some things and it depends on the issue, I prefer a 2/3 or 3/5 vote. I will say this though, BOTH parties make rule changes to benefit themselves when they are in power. We are seeing that on the state level in North Carolina and Michigan which are really reprehensible. 

That said, I don't see much of a chance Dems will raise taxes on the middle class. If taxes are being raised its almost a certainty it will be on the richest Americans. That in of itself may not be acceptable to some people but I can't see them touching the middle class (what's left of it) and the lower socioeconomic classes. If you are making over half a quarter million or more a year, you may want to start saving. I do think 250k a year is middle class in the bay area, LA and NY though. Those places are expensive. Most other places its a good-great income. 

Nancy and Chuck are there because the new reality is that Trump can't get much done without them. For the record the wall was supposed be paid for by the Mexicans. That was what was said during the campaign. So, to shut down the government over something the American people were never supposed to pay for is a bit hard to explain to those who didn't want it in the first place. 

That said, no one, Dems included want open borders. That's the talking point on the right but no one wants that other than a few anarchists here and there. Even Latinos don't want free borders. Why? The DDD (dirty, dangerous, difficult)I jobs will be gone as well as the related unskilled, low skilled job in the border states. 

I do appreciate that Trump made that promise got elected in part because he repeated it so I completely understand why he's making a stand with regards to it. Whatever one thinks about it, it was one of the first things he said when he announced his campaign. 

But if it couldn't get done with Republican control of House of Representatives and the Senate, then its a lost cause. Some things aren't going to happen and building that wall is one of them. The building of the wall is symbolic anyway. For most of his supporters its about the coded speech building implies. The invasion from south of the border is not people. Mexicans have stopped coming. The main reason Salvadoreans and Guatemalans have been trying to come in larger numbers is because their countries were/are destablized in part due to American intervention. More Mexicans leave for Mexico than are coming in and its been that way for a few years now http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

Thanks in part to NAFTA. NAFTA has been a double edged sword, it increased jobs and wages in Mexico at our expense (auto industry jobs) and slowed immigration both legal and illegal. The same can happen to Central America if it was stable and "positive" trade for them, meaning jobs and working class wages. 

Anyway, the traffic from the south are drugs not people .The opiod epidemic and the ongoing demand for meth and cocaine is the real traffic. It's not people for the most part. With the big Pharma scared to over prescribe opiod type drugs, pharma in Mexico are happy to meet the demand. 

As for the White House meeting with the press. Nancy triggered the whole thing with the 'Trump shutdown' quip. It wasn't necessary. So, on balance and in all fairness, she "started" it. However, arguing in front of the press when its supposed to a photo op for compromise is not Presidential. But no one is surprised. Congresspersons and the White House as a matter of protocol won't argue in front of the press. The rules are ignored by Trump and Nancy should have known that. 

The new story is Ivanka may be in big trouble over the Inauguration, specifically knowingly over charging 

"Inaugural planners were reportedly concerned that the Trump Organization was overcharging the committee, with one sending an email flagging potential concerns about what would happen “when this is audited.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/421458-ivanka-trump-was-involved-in-negotiations-for-how-much-inaugural