Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Barack Obama repeating Jimmy Carter's mistakes

by Steve Forbes

You need to watch only a few minutes of cable news analysis to realize just how ludicrous our national energy policies have become. As escalating tensions and chaos unfold in Egypt, Libya and other Middle Eastern nations, one energy analyst suggested that if Libyan oil supplies were to fail, the United States would rely on Saudi Arabia for its oil needs. If that statement alone doesn’t put U.S. leaders on red alert, the looming national energy crisis may soon become reality.

The Obama administration is repeating the mistakes of President Jimmy Carter’s failed energy policies, which marred his term and stigmatized the 1970s. They are leading us straight into another national energy disaster.

Key members of the Obama administration believe this friction abroad underscores the need to move away from oil and gas entirely and shift to boutique forms of alternative energy. Their lack of political will to drill for oil and gas compromises our national security and jeopardizes economic recovery.

It skirts the colossal elephant in the room: Oil and natural gas produced here in the United States are likely to still account for at least 57 percent of domestic energy consumption by 2035. Not to mention that energy production here can relieve the U.S. from the dangerous grip of foreign petro dictators.

Unfortunately, this administration’s Department of the Interior, with the most anti-oil-and-gas record in U.S. history, is sabotaging any real chance of avoiding the pending energy crisis because of its continued hold on deepwater drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico.

More

Come on HH

Have I ever offended you when we have met in real?

I stand by my statement that my comment was aimed at goverments and not citizens

Never offended me in person or on the board...though I thought your original comment was made with a broad brush aimed at citizens' date=' not government policies. [b'][color:red]Anyway, I'm really curious what "policies" of the U.S. might offend others; particularly foreign policies.[/color][/b] I say that, cuz I have yet to identify any concrete foreign policies of the U.S. over decades and any number of GOP and Demoncrap administrations. Quite simply, I don't think the U.S. has any foreign policies.

HH

:(

Monroe Doctrine

Okay, a little mindless frivolty in the USA thread. This is a reunion of sorts for the show Family Ties. Its just the husband and wife from the show. I had no idea that Meredith Baxter..well..watch the clip. Don't wanna spoil it. My feminine side came out a little and I think I got glazy eyed.

Other things on there as well. Mindless crap perhaps but at least a departure from the serious political stuff.

http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime

A lot of you may disagree but I think the FBI' cause was flimsy at best. I think his lawsuit has merit.

Student files lawsuit over FBI's GPS tracking

A community college student who says he's never done anything that should attract the interest of federal law enforcement officials filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the FBI for secretly putting a GPS tracking device on his car.

Yasir Afifi, 20, says a mechanic doing an oil change on his car in October discovered the device stuck with magnets between his right rear wheel and exhaust. They weren't sure what it was, but Afifi had the mechanic remove it and a friend posted photos of it online to see whether anyone could identify it. Two days later, Afifi says, agents wearing bullet-proof vests pulled him over as he drove away from his apartment in San Jose, Calif., and demanded their property back.

Afifi's lawsuit, filed by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, claims the FBI violated his civil rights by putting the device on his car without a warrant. His lawyers say Afifi, who was born in the United States, was targeted because of his extensive ties to the Middle East — he travels there frequently, helps support two brothers who live in Egypt, and his father was a well-known Islamic-American community leader who died last year in Egypt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110303/ap_on_re_us/us_gps_tracking_warrants

Flimsy? LOL! How can you say that with only minimal info...and only the info the plaintiff has provided? Like the plaintiff admitted, he may fit a profile. But I imagine quite a few thousand others do also. I doubt if the FBI has the resources/inclination to put a transponder on ALL vehicles used by those similar. I'm sure there is a lot more than we are being/not being told. Maybe the plaintiff should go live in Egypt and see how authorities there gather info they want. 55555555555555555

HH

Flimsy? LOL! How can you say that with only minimal info...and only the info the plaintiff has provided? Like the plaintiff admitted, he may fit a profile. But I imagine quite a few thousand others do also. I doubt if the FBI has the resources/inclination to put a transponder on ALL vehicles used by those similar. I'm sure there is a lot more than we are being/not being told. Maybe the plaintiff should go live in Egypt and see how authorities there gather info they want. 55555555555555555

HH

The biggest mistake the guy made is when the FBI 'SWAT' team stopped him and wanted there crap back, he should have told them [color:red]"Nope!"[/color]

My view of the '70s with relation to energy is with the oil embargo that occurred and having to be involved economically, politically and militarily in a middle east that in the best of times is a quaqmire and the worst of times brings a nation into wars and the target of terrorism, why we are still married to the idea of an oil based economy.

While not being able to completely ween ourselves off oil, why we don't try as much alternate forms as engery as best we can where we can (solar in the warm areas, wind in areas where it occurs constantly, natural gas, nuclear energy, etc.)

Why doesn't America lead the G7 nations in a commitment away from oil? The rest of the world will have to follow. They would have no choice. It would create its own new industries and jobs. Millions of new jobs. Just like the movement from modes of transportation created new jobs. Railroad stocks were the biggest majority of the NYSE in the 1800s. Probably a quarter of all jobs, directly and indirectly were tied to it (farmers, factories, etc, who had to transport goods, even baseball teams relied on rail).

Big oil is the problem. Big oil has bought off the Congress and sometimes the white house and its the power of big oil that is as much at fault for our insane energy policy as much as anyone or any group can be blamed.

I'm not anti big oil, I'm just anti any non elected entity that weilds power over an elected body.