Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

13 hours ago, Coss said:

I understand that there are feckless morons in our societies, but in general, the USA seems to be the only place, where they've bred to be, a voting block of significant size, in NZ they are there, but are in a small minority. One hopes that the voting in the next week or so will sort them out.

One thing Americans find normal but like you Coss, non Americans see as mind boggling is how much religion plays in our politics. From the outside in, it seems like the western version of what we see in some moslem countries. 

I think Israel and the American Jewish community "looked the other way" with regards to Trump or more specifically, the groups and people that support him who were often antisemitic. I can't think of too many white nationalists/supremacists who aren't anti semitic in practice if not hidden in thought, and they ignored it because 1. He has a Jewish son in law and his favored daughter who converted and 2. He is moving the embassy to Jerusalem. 

Even the the killer said he was angry at Trump, he fits in the list of groups and individuals who feel emboldened by him. Or that is what is said. I also think they cast a wary eye knowing if you let these kinds of groups get too confident they will eventually come for you. 

Jews were some of the first non Blacks to join the Civil Rights movement because the Holocaust was fresh in their minds. We're talking the mid 50s to the mid 60s, only a decade or two since WW2 and many people had lost a parent or grandparent in the death camps. And to many they had a 'nip this (Segregation) thing in the bud because Germany started the same way. In fact, part of Germany's exclusion laws were based in part on how segregation in the south was set up. 

Anyway, I digress. There are of course many who support Trump, simply because he is the standard bearer for their party and so he gets their support, just as I would expect many Democrats who don't really like Hillary to support her anyway if she were President. Identity politics is huge with us.