Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Dear Mr President:

I have been privileged to serve as our country’s 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.

I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department’s business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong US global influence.

One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.

Similarly, I believe we must be resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model gaining veto authority over other nations’ economic, diplomatic, and security decisions to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.

My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.

Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department’s interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability within the Department.

I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.

I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.

Jim N Mattis

Speaking of pulling out of Syria and in the larger context the "War on Terror". These esoteric, undefinable "wars" are all bullshit. Johnson had his 'War on Poverty". Noble. Something everyone can agree on. It was one of the first modern day non military "wars" the government has waged. Without a definable and clear goal on what would be defined as "victory" its bullshit. You can use a stat. There is a percentage of Americans below the poverty line, and if it gets to a certain percentage and stays below that is at least definable. While any one on poverty is still not good, one must accept 0% is virtually impossible in America given the population, size and scope of the economy and society. The War on Poverty had zero effect. The poverty rate in the what America self describes itself as "Leader of the Free World" is embarrassingly high. We are all well aware of chronic generational poverty in the urban areas (urban being coded speech for Black...lol...let's be honest) but on balance, let's also discuss the chronic poverty in almost all white areas of West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi that have been poor for literally 300 years!! There are mountain areas of West Virginia that have been poor since it was populated by Europeans. They have never seen anything but poverty. Amazing. It's criminal as a society we have not done studies of these areas to reverse it. There are a number of things you can do. You can move certain government functions to those areas. Now deceased Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, used his power in the Congress to move certain functions of the FBI to that poverty stricken state. When ever you request if there are any criminal records in your background, you will notice the address is in West Virginia. It's an easy job for a low skilled area to train someone to do a simple computer search on your behalf. The government knew that coal will lesson in demand and should have transitioned thees areas into other things as Byrd had done. Economic zones has been around for a while but they don't offer enough of a "bite". Basically, offer companies lower taxes and other financial benefits if they move operations to impoverished areas. 

The War on Drugs was a political stunt by Nixon. No definable enemy or goal. The War on Terror is another. We got bin Laden. But the "war" continues. We invent new enemies, some of whom we helped create. 

I wish someone who runs for President will call out these asinine wars. I'm particularly sensitive to the "war on drugs" mainly on how Blacks were treated when crack hit the various communities. Lock them all up was the mantra. But now with the opiod epidemic its addiction is now seen as a 'disease'. It smacks of complete hypocrisy. I have family members, friends, who got caught up in that. I am in no way saying they are innocent but I am saying fairness and justice equally applied. Even now, people who are addicted to opiods are seen differently than those hooked on crack and the court system still treats them differently in the same courtroom. Suburban kids who come to my hometown of Philly who get caught with opiods are sent into programs and put on probation and no jail if they complete the program but its not the same for their counterparts from my old neighborhood. Often the same judge gives two different verdicts as well as the recommendation from the prosecutors office. 

The War on Terror is basically a scheme to line the pockets of the military-industrial complex. Nothing more, nothing less. The number of lives of people on both sides lost, the thousands maimed physically and scarred emotionally as a result is a crime against humanity and I am not being hyperbolic. 

• Thanks 1

This is one of the most onerous laws that makes a mockery of the 1st amendment in America and illustrates vividly and sadly that we no longer live in a free Republic. I will get likely get some comments for this post being antisemitic (I think I've heard the term is now changed to anti-shemitic..really, I've read that. I don't know what term to use). This post may get removed after some of you have read it. So be it. 

Many people have said they are shocked at the mountain of evidence against Russia for trying to influence our election. And they are correct but they are wrong that Russia has done the most. That (dis)honor goes to Israel by far. Israel is a very important ally. We need allies in the region and next to Turkey (which could be seen as the middle east, Europe or the gateway between either) are the only democracies in the region. I have zero issue with us being their ally and its a vital ally as we share information on militancy in the area that ultimately saves lives. 

This (below) violates everything we hold sacred with regards to our rights as citizens. How can the government tell you who you can or can not boycott? That's up to you. If you want to personally boycott any country or company, so be it. That's your business. This is scary stuff. I'm not being over dramatic. The precedence is utterly scary. There is a movement called BDS (boycott, divestment, sanctions) aimed to address the "alleged" violations of the human rights of Palestinians under Israeli control. 

With regards to the region, Israel won that. There is no more "conflict". The various arab countries tried, 3 times I think and failed and lost. Live with it. Egypt and others have signed peace deals so there isn't going to be anymore wars. Israel fought for its very existence and won all of them. Credit to them. Who knows what would have happened to the people had they lost? Some people say they won the war but have lost the peace. Some of the very things they suffered under German rule in the 1930s and 1940s many say they now exact on the Palestinians. I have my own personal opinion as to its veracity that I won't share because its not germane to the current point. I mention it to give the boycott movement some context. Bottom line is if Americans want to support Israel they can, if they choose not to they can. To make it illegal to speak against a country is beyond comprehension to someone who is American and was raised to hold rights as sacred. I have to believe this can not stand up in court if challenged. If it can, then we really and truly have no republic. So, someone can have their speech supporting NAMBLA (a pedo group), white supremacy, etc. that's fine. But certain speech (and acts such as boycotts) against a country is illegal? What the fuck?! Literally. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-join-republicans-in-bill-criminalizing-speech_us_5978bc17e4b0c6616f7ce6d9?fbclid=IwAR3EqtEVIXIkKQ79nIJ3e3ACE_eiKZa2gWgqt14j0K7J-rlDX79JD_YVgdY

• Thanks 1

Steve, I don't think you're antisemitic, your comments are, as usual, well balanced and in my view, correct.

Bubi, Mike is now an ineffectual pigeon fancier, may I suggest an alternative, 'Mr T', - Donald will like the bling.

And now some very startling news, FOX slapping Trump...

'He just refounded Isis': Fox News attacks Donald Trump over US pullout from Syria

"He also is doing exactly what he criticised President [Barack] Obama for doing," Kilmeade told Sanders. "He said President Obama is the founder of Isis; he just refounded Isis, because they have 30,000 men there and they are already striking back with our would-be evacuation. The president is really on the griddle with this." ..... Washington Post.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/109556984/he-just-refounded-isis-fox-news-attacks-donald-trump-over-us-troop-withdrawal-in-syria

Cav,   FOX said it, Washington Post reported it, then Stuff.co.nz, I'm confused, is this Fake or True? Ruling please....

5 hours ago, Coss said:

Steve, I don't think you're antisemitic, your comments are, as usual, well balanced and in my view, correct.

Bubi, Mike is now an ineffectual pigeon fancier, may I suggest an alternative, 'Mr T', - Donald will like the bling.

And now some very startling news, FOX slapping Trump...

'He just refounded Isis': Fox News attacks Donald Trump over US pullout from Syria

"He also is doing exactly what he criticised President [Barack] Obama for doing," Kilmeade told Sanders. "He said President Obama is the founder of Isis; he just refounded Isis, because they have 30,000 men there and they are already striking back with our would-be evacuation. The president is really on the griddle with this." ..... Washington Post.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/109556984/he-just-refounded-isis-fox-news-attacks-donald-trump-over-us-troop-withdrawal-in-syria

Cav,   FOX said it, Washington Post reported it, then Stuff.co.nz, I'm confused, is this Fake or True? Ruling please....

Coss,

Wake up....Fox is part of the MSM...can your deformed brain understand that, guess NO....

NBC Smears Triple Amputee Purple Heart Vet Because He Ran a Conservative Facebook Page

Hit piece claims man behind GoFundMe to build wall has a “questionable past”

NBC News smeared triple amputee Iraq war vet Brian Kolfage – the man behind the GoFundMe of the border wall – because the purple heart recipient once ran a right-wing Facebook page.

Is there no low to which the mainstream media won’t stoop?

Of course the real reason the media is going after Kolfage is that his GoFundMe effort has been incredibly successful, raising over $13 million dollars in the space of just four days.

Donald Trump pretends he’s signing a bill, gets caught signing blank piece of paper instead

Even as Donald Trump was forcing a shutdown of the federal government this evening, he decided to try to create the appearance that he’s busy working. He announced that he’s cancelled his flight to Mar-a-Lago (are we supposed to care?), and he posted a photo that’s supposed to prove he’s busy signing a bunch of bills at his desk. The trouble: that thing he’s signing in the photo isn’t a bill.

https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/signing-blank-paper-trump/14870/