Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

It's a very hard core support BB. The last time I've seen support in a base this strong is Reagan. He's deified in Republican circles. Trump wasn't  being hyperbolic when he said he could shoot someone in public view and his base would stay loyal. I think I know why but won't say it because it would likely bring admins into the mix. 

Anyway, I don't think he will get elected IF its Bernie. I think Warren will be seen as a progressive Hillary. She can make it close with the right running mate but I still don't see her losing.  I don't think she can beat Trump if the economy teeters along as it has. I don't see anyone other than Bernie Sanders who can beat him frankly. Biden will lose to him as well. Again, the right running mate will change things a few points but overall I don't see him beating Trump, which tells you more about America than it does Trump or the candidates. 

I have had major issues with all the Presidents in my memory, either at the time or after their presidency when their policies and actions have come to fruition. Obama was a disappointment. I thought we were getting a reformer. I think he started out in the campaign as one. At some point after he got the nomination he took the same money that was financing establishment Democrat and Republicans. Wall Street in particular but also he made deals with big Hollywood money among others. That said, in my estimation he has to be one of the top 2 Presidents, 3rd at a stretch, in the last 50 years or so. I'm putting that in context because I have a fairly low estimation of pretty much all except Carter  

Anyway, Obama steered the country out of a possible big D depression. He hasn't been given enough credit by it even by his own party. No one really contemplates just how close America came to a full fledged economic meltdown. I'm talking limited access to your money, close to zero credit, the dollar being devalued to the point it may not come back as the world's reserve currency. He made a deal with the devil to do it and he sacrificed the American worker but we did avert it. And to be fair, if McCain had won, the American worker would have still had to bear the burden of it and it would have been worse. History should also state how big psychologically to America for getting bin Laden. The hunt for him stalled under Bush. The reports are the team assigned to track him down was reduced and we weren't really looking as hard for him because other things had become more important (Iraq, ISIS, Syria, Libya, etc.). Obama made a concerted effort to bring his death or capture a priority and he succeeded. Yes, the SEAL team does the actual killing but they wouldn't have been put in place were it not for Obama making OBL a priority. The other major accomplishment is opening up Cuba. That is huge. That is on par with Nixon and China. There are only 2 foreign policies that never changes no matter who is in office. First is full fledged support for Israel and the second is the demonizing Cuba. Making amends with Cuba is history making. Trump has reversed it purely to negate Obama's win but the basis for relations to be normalized with Cuba has already been set and I think a Sanders presidency will be more in the Obama sphere. Only Reagan and possibly Bill Clinton can be said by some with valid argument to have a better presidency (although i will disagree on a number of things Reagan was credited with). 

The elder Bush had a decent presidency. The gulf war being the big win for his administration. Clinton had a great 8 years economically and its tradition to credit the President in office with the economy that he had be it good or bad but in fairness it wasn't Clinton's policies that created the tech boom fueled economy and the negatives of his 8 years have far reaching effect that we are still feeling today. Same with Reagan. 

I feel the most sympathy for Carter. He inherited a bad economy and it was his Fed Chairman that eventually got America out of it 2 years after his one term. The Iran Hostage crisis made him a lame duck. Had it not happened he stood a chance perhaps. The two major things Reagan was given credit for, the 80s economic boom and end of the USSR he had nothing to do with. But since it occurred during his presidency (it must be said the Berlin Wall happened under Bush) he gets credit. Paul Volcker, Carter's choice for Fed Chair kicked off the '80s boom. The Afghans ended the USSR. Since WW2 Russia had fought wars by proxy (Korean and Vietnam wars, Namibia, ete.) they were always teetering economically and it was their war in Afghanistan that tipped them over. that 10 year war ('79-'89) was the first full scale war Russia had fought since WW2 and at one point had 200,000 troops in Afghanistan, a country no one has been able to pacify going back to Alexander the Great, The British Empire and others. Monies spent on bullets and bombs don't pay for themselves. The Russian economy couldn't handle the housing and feeding of cost of 200,000 troops in a 10 year war. That's what ended them economically. it brought an already anemic economy to implosion. As it turns out recently from Nixon tapes but was always known, Reagan was very racist. Very. Not your casual type...lol. 

As far as the worst President, its Nixon hands down for a few reasons. The man is a traitor to the office and people. He prolonged the Vietnam war when it could have ended in 1968 and he knowingly left American POWs there so he could be spiteful and petty and not pay the Vietnamese the war reparations they were promised. 

Trump will come after Nixon as worst. Any good he has done is like seeing a few daisies in a big pile of shit. It stands out. 

America hasn't had a great Republican president since Eisenhower. And before him, Teddy Roosevelt. The Dems can claim a much better track record over the last century or so. 

I always liked Bernie as a favourite - I reckon that when Trump's grifting is finally exposed in full, you might revise the Nixon worse than Trump view.

And for giggles, only the "Best People"...

Rudy Giuliani needed an Apple Genius to unlock his iPhone after he was named Trump's cybersecurity adviser in 2017. Giuliani was locked out of his iPhone because he had forgotten the passcode and entered the wrong one at least 10 times. (NBC News)

The one admirable fact about Bernie as well as AOC and others is that, no matter what you think of their politics, they are not bought. As far as I know there are no 'establishment' Democrats or Republicans who have been financed by the people only. Small donations and are transparent. I assume Warren is among that group but I don't know for a fact. 

Trump did not self finance his election. He got a lot of money as well as administrative support from billionaire nationalist Robert Mercer and others. Conway, Bolton, Bannon and others in his administration were Mercer's people. 

It will take a whole lot to remove Nixon as the worst President but Trump being second to him is by no means a positive for Trump. I hope Trump doesn't eclipse Nixon as the worst. Too many people will be harmed as a result. 

12 minutes ago, Coss said:

I hope I am wrong, but I have, as someone else said in the media recently, that sinking feeling.

Even if he doesn't, it will be very, very bad. There are so many things the media hasn't talked about such as filling many lifetime judgeships at the federal level (its not just the Supreme court that has lifetime appointments) with not just people who are not qualified but have a very nationalistic mindset that is extreme right. For the next 20 or 30 years I suspect we will get some rulings that are shocking and the judge will be traced back to a Trump appointment. 

Be afraid, be very afraid.