Jump to content
Alohameansgoodbye

Usa Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, buffalo_bill said:

Mister, I am neither. But to know that this guy is sick in his head needs no doctor. It would actually be more interesting to receive an analysis why millions of members  of the US Trump-Cult support an obviously disturbed subject like him. Why do previously reasonable members of the senate throw themseves on the floor in front of him and start licking his feet? Why can such an cowardly bastard insult a person like McCain and survive this unbelievable insult?

I think the problem is less Trump but a large part of the American society. I propose to split the US between an East plus West Cost  USRA ( United States of Reasonable  Americans ) and  USOA ( United States of Other Americans). Maybe the USRA should build a wall along their borders.

Trump spent 8 years criticizing Obama for the tiniest things, many of which he does today in the same office. If Obama picked up the salad fork for dinner Trump was tweeting he's unfit. No one paid much attention to Trump. His 'birther' tirades was seen as the makings of a person with too much time on his hands and a serious personal animus towards Obama. 

He didn't become popular with about 40% of the nation until he ran for president as an apologetic bigot. His very first speech declaring his candidacy was speaking about Mexican Americans as criminals. Later on he mixed in left wing populism to pull in the middle who were suffering economically but it was clear he ran on a dog whistle white nationalism platform, hence hundreds of thousands of people, alt right/nazis/nazi sympathizers/KKK/etc. voting for the first time. To be fair, he also attracted those who were suffering economically and rolled the dice, like tens of thousands of people who voted for Obama and Hillary didn't even have the courtesy to visit their state (Wisconsin, Michigan). As well as those who anyone but Hillary. 

But the core of his support is fringe right. 

And the best thing they can hear is to have the country physically split and fulfill what the confederate states couldn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, panadolsandwich said:

Without going into the sentiments and drives of the man that is the President of the USA, there is a clear clash between his conscious and unconscious life. 

As a rule you don't set out to demonstrate the rather discerning details of a person's ego.  But Trump has displayed a clear *orienting thema* .  In Trump's case it is not expedient to make a distinction between the major configurations of overt drives and sentiments and the orienting thema - he is explicit in word and deed and thus is consistent and is of a relatively consistent and obvious type. 

By far the most common form of defense mechanism is that of projection.  This works in the service of self esteem, in blinding him to his inferiority.  It is simply unprecedented, how often it is used and the intensity of it.  It operates so promptly and consistently, indeed by paying close attention to the objects that Trump scorns and condemns one gets a fairly accurate and comprehensive view of his own id. 

Perhaps most perplexing is that he has consciously adopted and furthered what was no doubt a purely unconscious mechanism.  He has many pathologies:

* Insult as stimulus

* Compulsive criminality

* Contempt for himself - something he is largely unconscious  of and more conspicuously are his superiority feelings.

It is a characteristic of the proud counteractive personality that his energies are not engaged unless he has been insulted or injured - or imagined to have been belittled in some way.  Berating and snubbing a 15 year old girl is a fairly extreme example of this. 

I will further this analysis in further posts - Yes I'm a highly qualified doctor;  I'm also a highly competent judge of character. 

Debating if Trump is rash, boorish, narcissistic with anyone is like arguing if 1+1=2. His supporters do it to waste your time, push you to see how upset you will be. It's a common tactic with some people. Extremist groups do that as a common tactic as well in online forums. Anything is fair game, half lies, lies, gaslighting, deflection, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, panadolsandwich said:

It is a characteristic of the proud counteractive personality that his energies are not engaged unless he has been insulted or injured - or imagined to have been belittled in some way.  Berating and snubbing a 15 year old girl is a fairly extreme example of this. 

Jeez, I know 11 yr old girls, that'd win an argument with the orange turd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is clear. The politicians allied with Trump as well as his most hard core supporters, want total domination. No compromise unless they are forced to. By definition, the manner we conduct government is 'give and take' and compromise but Trump personally is trying to preside as a dictator. He feels he has been so hard done by any last semblance of compromise is gone. He wants total and unequivocal power and domination over the opposition. His supporters want the same. 

Yes, we can utter the word 'tyrant'. But this shouldn't be a shock from what we have seen for 8 years of tweeting under Obama, prior to that the way he has managed his businesses. As well as the last 3 years. 

The Dems are trying to fight a person who uses jail cell tactics with Marquis of Queensbury rules and at some point they will realize it won't work. AOC, and that crowd realize it. Pelosi hasn't and at some point the AOC friendly Democratic masses will take over the party and it will be the same thing on the left. And by the same thing I mean when they get power they won't compromise. Trump and his surrogates will be viewed not too differently than Nazis at the end of WW2 or Confederates at the end of the Civil War. 

Bernie will be kind. But after Bernie there will be a wave of "justice Democrats' like AOC and the squad They will have the masses. They will have the demographics. And they will run over the Trump type colleagues left in government. The far right will complain, utter the same things I and others have about the Republic, constitution, morals, ethics and it will fall on deaf ears. Their own history will convict them. For example, no one takes any Bush high official seriously any more with possibly Colin Powell the only exception. If Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Condaleeza Rice or Karl Rove, opines about anything, the easy, go to come back is to say they were in the Bush administration. It ends the conversation. 

It will be similar with Trump and his administration. Scaramucci has been making the talking circuit talking about how to defeat Trump and no one on the left has embraced him. Bolton is only seen as a useful against Trump but is still roundly hated. Omarosa has been in hiding and not accepted in the black community even though she has come out against Trump. 

Personally, the worst thing that can happen to Trump is if he gets re-elected. Why? There will definitely be a crash at some point between 2020 and 2024. All economists of note have said its pretty much a certainty. If a Democrat wins its 50/50 if it will be blamed on Trump. Depends on when it happens and how it happens. If Trump gets re-elected and it happens his administration will be in free fall and it won't be pretty. If it happens before 2022, the Dems will take over both houses of Congress and there will be another impeachment and they will have some Republicans willing to cross over. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Mister, I am neither. But to know that this guy is sick in his head needs no doctor. It would actually be more interesting to receive an analysis why millions of members  of the US Trump-Cult support an obviously disturbed subject like him. Why do previously reasonable members of the senate throw themseves on the floor in front of him and start licking his feet? Why can such an cowardly bastard insult a person like McCain and survive this unbelievable insult?

I think the problem is less Trump but a large part of the American society. I propose to split the US between an East plus West Cost  USRA ( United States of Reasonable  Americans ) and  USOA ( United States of Other Americans). Maybe the USRA should build a wall along their borders.

At the end of the civil war they should of hanged all the South's leaders - there should have been a massive purge, confiscating property and punishing anyone severely who dared disobey the rule of law.  The British were masters at this - they would have tracked down the trouble makers with dizzying speed and left the fear of God in the people who remained. 

Instead they treated the South leadership with kid gloves.  Granted them all kinds of concessions.  Hell as recently as last year people were still debating about whether to remove Confederate statues from public parks.  It is an example of what a failure it was that they were built in the first place. 

To address your first question the answer is propaganda and demagoguery.  Trump pushes all the right buttons.  Like or not, America is a deeply racist society.  When manufacturing was moved offshore or to Mexico a lot of good ole boys were put out to pasture - and that has stuck in their craw ever since.  Just look at Detroit, the former heartland of the automotive industry, motor city.  In 2013 the city filed for bankruptcy owing about 20 billion dollars.  The factories were left to rust - there was no effort to retool them for another industry, such as high speed rail which America desperately needs - the leadership and more importantly the will just didn't exist.

The disenfranchised cast around for blame and they see immigrants coming and working hard (jobs they would never do of course) and they moan about having their jobs stolen.  Along comes a con man promising them he's going to restore their pride, their lucrative jobs, build a game of thrones style wall to keep the nasty immigrants out, and make America great again.  All lies of course, what became of the wall?  Why hasn't Mexico paid for it?  Where is all this new industry?  What happened to all this massive infrastructure spending?  Expect to see more incidences of crumbling infrastructure that hasn't been maintained, like the New Orleans levees, or the recent Oroville dam crisis which resulted in evacuating 180,000 people and fortunately could have been a lot worse.  

All this infrastructure isn't being inspected let alone maintained.  America is spending hand over fist on their military, and the stupid fucking wall, when they can't afford to even maintain a bridge.  It boggles the mind. 

I'll get onto how he survives where others fall, it will make an interesting post of its own. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had purged the south of its leadership, who leads? And that person will be hated by the white masses in the south. Economically, the south was vital to America. The biggest exports of America at that time was cotton and tobacco. 

President Rutherford B Hayes, making a compromise with southern politicians removing troops and enacting the Posse Comitatus act, allowing the south to enact Jim Crow and segregation was possibly the one biggest act that let the south emotionally be belligerent. The south was on its way to integration of the former slaves into the economy as freed people. There was enough money in cotton, tobacco and indigo, etc, that someone was going to farm it and work it but in a different dynamic than slavery. Successful black communities were popping up all over the south and the midwest as well. Given time, they would have been integrated into society to a larger extent than otherwise. Fully? No. But enough to change the socio-economic structure of the south and midwest. Similar perhaps to the north integrating Jewish and Italian immigrants around that time. Not fully accepted but accepted enough.  

Patton kept Nazi administrators after WW2 because removing all of them would have sent the country into turmoil administratively. He needed time to integrate non Nazis. It would have taken a couple years. The south would have been the same. 

The one bright hope for America is the youngest generation. Generally speaking with some exceptions depending on a few factors, they are far more accepting of integration of all groups. They are also politically the most left of any generation ever. That may or may not be a good thing but they will change things and look to the European economic model (big on infrastructure, reduction of military, mass transit, environmental sensitive, less religious if at all, low or no cost higher education, universal healthcare). 

This is across the board with the young. Complain if you want, but its going to happen and you may live to see it start in earnest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the South let's just say we'll agree to disagree.  If as you say that cotton and tobacco, or sugar cane was so important, why couldn't it be run with paid labour?  Which the rest of the world had moved on to largely.  It was the agitators and trouble makers that didn't want their super profits garnished.  These were the people that should have been hanged.  The Southern leadership were parasites and they could easily have been swept away and replaced by Northern leadership.  The South wasn't a foreign country like Japan or Germany.  The first thing you do when you take over is you remove the executive - and this was definitively not done. 

Instead Jim Crow was allowed to flourish and the loophole in the 13th amendment saying you could enslave criminals was widely abused.  Just another version of slavery.  Black people getting arrested for 'vagrancy' and if anything it got worse then before.  On the chain gang your estimated life span was between 6 to 9 months. 

Whilst I admire your confidence in the youth and I agree with your sentiments, I've often thought the same thing.  I grew up in a wealthy country and with one of the best education systems in the world.  I attained my dream of my chosen profession.  I own a very nice house in a leafy suburb and if I chose to do so, I'd never have to work another day of my life. 

But kids these days are so downtrodden they don't even see the point in voting.  Yes they want all the things you list - in fact most Americans want what you list - I think 75% of Americans in one poll said they wanted Universal Healthcare.  Something seen as so complicated and impossible.  The youth aren't stupid, they can virtually throw a stone over the Canadian border and they've got it - why can't we? they ask themselves. 

In fact the youth are so depressed that even owning a house in a nice leafy suburb is just an unattainable dream.  Working two or three poorly paid jobs to make rent is their concern, with a handful of pennies to buy overpriced food, most likely the fast food kind. 

It's tempting to give up on America.  When I travel through Europe I admire the efficiency, the great care put into designing infrastructure, the brilliant public transport.  When I land in JFK as the taxi takes me into the city I can't help but start redesigning the entire place, the very potential it has.  It would be so easy to remove a lot of the ugliness, to rejuvenate the place, to get some work crews to clean up the god damned rubble and do something about this depressing mess.  There is so much low hanging fruit that a genuine leader could snatch to improve the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump isn't unprecedented, far from it.  In fact the parallels with Reagan are rather disturbing in how similar they are.  Reagan was a bald faced pathological liar, a raving bloodthirsty megalomaniac.  The invasion of the sovereign country Grenada was simply gob-smacking.  The whole world was shocked and the US was denounced.  He pioneered the whole not going to congress to ask permission to make war.  A blood thirsty maniac he funded the contra in Nicaragua by selling arms to Iran which was under an embargo.  He was literally frothing at the mouth, introduced the so called 'war on drugs'.  It's widely known he was in an advanced state of dementia by the 3rd year of his first term. He was often confused and bewildered and had to be carefully stage managed in his public appearances.  Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Or take George W Bush.  Cheney, Rove and crew somehow managed to prop this guy up - as Matt Tabbai says - it was the equivalent of getting a donkey to play the Waldstein sonata.  It really is breathtaking when you think about it. 

' If you could somehow run simulations where Bush was repeatedly shipwrecked on a desert island with 20 other adults chosen at random, he would be the last person listened to by the group every single time. He knew absolutely nothing about anything. He wouldn’t have been able to make fire, find water, build shelter or raise morale. It would have taken him days to get over the shock of no room service.'

Asked by a child what his favourite book was when growing up, Bush replied, 'I can't remember any specific books'.  Wait a second here - he doesn't read?  Or like any politician have enough wits about him to even name a children's book?  Who the hell is this guy - a fucking moron?  And isn't this familiar?  There is half - serious speculation that Trump can't actually read. 

But yeah none of this is new.  And it's true, you can't blame Trump for everything, he's just from a long line of succession of idiots.  Like a Kabuki, you have to wonder what's going on behind the curtain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, panadolsandwich said:

Regarding the South let's just say we'll agree to disagree.  If as you say that cotton and tobacco, or sugar cane was so important, why couldn't it be run with paid labour?  Which the rest of the world had moved on to largely.  It was the agitators and trouble makers that didn't want their super profits garnished.  These were the people that should have been hanged.  The Southern leadership were parasites and they could easily have been swept away and replaced by Northern leadership.  The South wasn't a foreign country like Japan or Germany.  The first thing you do when you take over is you remove the executive - and this was definitively not done. 

Instead Jim Crow was allowed to flourish and the loophole in the 13th amendment saying you could enslave criminals was widely abused.  Just another version of slavery.  Black people getting arrested for 'vagrancy' and if anything it got worse then before.  On the chain gang your estimated life span was between 6 to 9 months. 

Whilst I admire your confidence in the youth and I agree with your sentiments, I've often thought the same thing.  I grew up in a wealthy country and with one of the best education systems in the world.  I attained my dream of my chosen profession.  I own a very nice house in a leafy suburb and if I chose to do so, I'd never have to work another day of my life. 

But kids these days are so downtrodden they don't even see the point in voting.  Yes they want all the things you list - in fact most Americans want what you list - I think 75% of Americans in one poll said they wanted Universal Healthcare.  Something seen as so complicated and impossible.  The youth aren't stupid, they can virtually throw a stone over the Canadian border and they've got it - why can't we? they ask themselves. 

In fact the youth are so depressed that even owning a house in a nice leafy suburb is just an unattainable dream.  Working two or three poorly paid jobs to make rent is their concern, with a handful of pennies to buy overpriced food, most likely the fast food kind. 

It's tempting to give up on America.  When I travel through Europe I admire the efficiency, the great care put into designing infrastructure, the brilliant public transport.  When I land in JFK as the taxi takes me into the city I can't help but start redesigning the entire place, the very potential it has.  It would be so easy to remove a lot of the ugliness, to rejuvenate the place, to get some work crews to clean up the god damned rubble and do something about this depressing mess.  There is so much low hanging fruit that a genuine leader could snatch to improve the place.

We aren't disagreeing about slavery. Obviously you can produce those items without the use of slaves. What I think may not be a wise thing was a total purge of all southern leaders. I gave the example of Patton as an example. All I am saying is a transitional period as you change the government, administration, etc. Purge the leaders and replace it with northerners after you would likely need martial law and a guerilla war could have enveloped. That's my only question with regards to an immediate purge. It may not have happened that way, but it might have. 

I totally agree with you and the 13th amendment. It was written in a manner to have a loophole to slavery but it couldn't be enforced if the north didn't let it. And it did by letting the southerners abuse it on the Black population. The north removing troops was by far the biggest issue. It left the black population at the mercy of a group that took out their anger over the war on them. 

Look at your typical 20 year old today. Since the day he or she was born they have grown up with perpetual wars (Iraq and Afghanistan). Terrorism got normalized. They are inheriting well over 20 trillion national debt they are responsible for and did nothing to create it. They were given a system to pay for school that saddled with them tens of thousands of dollars worth of loans from the start. They are in debt before they even get started. They are in an economy that no longer provides the number of white collar entry jobs their fathers and grandfathers had. 

They have known nothing but climate change issues their entire lives. 50 years ago, the average price for a single family home was about 2-3 times your annual salary. Now, even if you start out making 30k, the average home price could be 5 or 6 times your salary. If you are in a low cost of living and low housing price area such as parts of the south and midwest, the quality and quantity of jobs aren't there. Those great union jobs are gone for the most part.  So, its very difficult to tell the American youth the current system works when they haven't seen much that works for them. 

Europe is another matter. The European youth have a different set of issues than their American counterpart. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reagan also had one of the largest illegal immigration amnesty in history. I'm no fan of Reagan. I dislike him immensely but even he had a line and he worked with Congress. He and then Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neil, a Democrat actually had a better working relationship than he did with democrat President Jimmy Carter. Reagan, both Bushes, had a line. There was a respect for the office. There was things they were not going to do and they worked with the opposition party. 

I have yet to see what Trump's line is. No one can tell me confidently what he will not do. Literally. Only Nixon was similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...