Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

" America would still lead the industrialized world in crime rate...by a significant portion."

Also leads the world in Personal Freedom.

That distinction (freedom) is being slowly (and lately not so slow) being eroded. We may end up less free and more violent.

So' date=' would we say a higher crime rate is the price of freedom? :dunno:

[/quote']

I think so, look at Japan and Singapore, very restrictive regarding personal freedoms, less crime.

And also' date=' most of the criminals still cling to their 3rd world "values" and cultural norms. Libral/progressive attitudes are also to blame.

HH[/quote']

Howdy HH. Really, you think there may be an ideological aspect to it all?

Frankly, I don't know. Its a head scratcher for a lot of social scientists.

Yep...I think that there is an ideological aspect. Goes back to permisiveness ("I'm ok, you're ok") and failing to hold people accountable.

HH

And also' date=' most of the criminals still cling to their 3rd world "values" and cultural norms. Libral/progressive attitudes are also to blame.

HH[/quote']

Howdy HH. Really, you think there may be an ideological aspect to it all?

Frankly, I don't know. Its a head scratcher for a lot of social scientists.

Yep...I think that there is an ideological aspect. Goes back to permisiveness ("I'm ok, you're ok") and failing to hold people accountable.

HH

Come on. Liberal crime laws in the USA? Like the strange three strike law or the largest number of prisoners per capita in the world?

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world’s population. But it has almost a quarter of the world’s prisoners.

NYT

And is it liberal that blacks are jailed 10x more often than whites for drug offenses, despite the fact that "that whites engage in drug offenses at a higher rate than African-Americans.†Link

And here today's news in regard to individual freedom in the USA:

F.B.I. Agents Get Leeway to Push Privacy Bounds

Engage in a rate 10x rate? I read the link, but no source provided. My guess is that somebody pulled that number out of a hat. Unless you live in the U.S., you aren't really in a very good position to assess the social/demographic/judicial aspects of crime in the U.S.

HH

Engage in a rate 10x rate? I read the link, but no source provided. My guess is that somebody pulled that number out of a hat. Unless you live in the U.S., you aren't really in a very good position to assess the social/demographic/judicial aspects of crime in the U.S.

HH

You mean, only US citizens are able to read and comment on US crime statistis? :surprised:

I did read it anyway :content: and just copy the content without a comment, since it speaks for itself:

Quote:

"A comparison of the rates, relative to population, at which blacks and whites are sent to state prison for drug offenses offers what may be the most compelling evidence of the disparate racial impact of drug control policies: [color:red]the black rate (256.2 per 100,000 black adults) is ten times greater than the white rate (25.3 per 100,000 white adults).[/color][76] Disaggregating these rates by gender reveals that black men were sent to prison on drug charges at 11.8 times the rate of white men and black women are sent to prison on drug charges at 4.8 times the rate of white women. As Table 1 reveals, blacks are sent to prison on drug charges at greater rates than whites in every state for which the data are available."

"According to the 2006 surveys conducted by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), an estimated 49% of whites and 42.9% of blacks age twelve or older have used illicit drugs in their lifetimes; 14.5% of whites and 16% of blacks have used them in the past year; and 8.5% of whites and 9.8% of blacks have used them in the past month.[42] [color:red]Because the white population is more than six times greater than the black population, the absolute number of white drug offenders is far greater than that of black drug offenders.[/color]"

Race, Drugs, and Law Enforcement in the United States

:yikes:

[You mean, only US citizens are able to read and comment on US crime statistis? :surprised:

Of course you are able to do so. However, I think you misinterpreted the statements made in two different articles. They conflict. Mai pen rai. It doesn't do anything to refute my original comment.

HH