Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

On 5/15/2020 at 4:00 AM, buffalo_bill said:

Trump sons' hunting in focus as US lifts import ban on African ...

I  wish I had the opportunity to shoot this human garbage as they pride themselves killing a beauty like this animal . How low can it get. The whole trump gang needs to be put into a Chinese stinking countryside shithole and buried there for ever. Congratulations Cavanami for adoring these bastards.

That photo makes me so angry.  If I had my way I"d feed them to ravenous grizzly beers.  Werner Herzog the famous film German director saw footage of someone being eaten alive by a grizzly bear.  He handed over footage of the incident to a close relative of the victim after they requested it - and this really stern German - a man seemingly made from steel, said you shouldn't watch it, ,just destroy it immediately, shaking his head and in absolute devastation - reliving the horror of watching it himself.  Being eaten alive by a bear is not a good way to go - but those two deserve it.  It's just karma.  

• Thanks 1

I'm an on and off hunter, over the years, and I've no emotion when seeing an animal killed, if for appropriate reasons - food is a good reason - trophy is not. Common and pest animals can be killed, rare and beautiful, not.

And as I'm becoming more of an archery aficionado, I'm discovering that "hunting" in 'merica, means often, a different thing, than does the term "hunting" in NZ and OZ.

So, it transpires that what we think of as hunting, in NZ and OZ, is what 'mericans call "spot and stalk"

We, go out into the bush, the mountains, the hinterlands and quietly roam about, looking for, finding and shooting, game/pests.

'mericans drive their trucks up to their hunting area, walk about 200 metres and either, hide in a blind, or up a tree, somethings for days, until an animal comes to the automatic feeder, that's been there for months, feeding out each day, so as to attract the animal. And worse, they go to fenced farms and shoot animals raised specifically for the shooting thereof.

That's not hunting, that's sitting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A candidate for a coronavirus vaccine from the University of Oxford showed promising signs when tested in a small number of monkeys, according to a new study.

Six rhesus macaques were given half the dose of the vaccine currently being tested in humans.

The authors wrote: “We observed a significantly reduced viral load in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and respiratory tract tissue of vaccinated animals challenged with SARS-CoV-2 compared with control animals, and no pneumonia was observed in vaccinated rhesus macaques.

“Importantly, no evidence of immune-enhanced disease following viral challenge in vaccinated animals was observed.”

The researchers further found viral loads in the lower respiratory system were significantly reduced, suggesting vaccination prevents virus replication in the lower respiratory tract.

Despite this marked difference in virus replication in the lungs, reduction in viral shedding from the nose was not observed.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-significantly-reduces-viral-load-in-monkeys/

Donald will be pleased, give this to all the Trumpanzees, election assured!

Medical journal Lancet blasts Trump's 'incoherent' Covid-19 response

One of the world's oldest and best-known medical journals has slammed US President Donald Trump's "inconsistent and incoherent national response" to the novel coronavirus pandemic and accused the administration of relegating the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to a "nominal" role.

The unsigned editorial from the Lancet concluded that Trump should be replaced.

"Americans must put a president in the White House come January 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics," said the journal, which was founded in Britain in 1823.

The strongly-worded critique highlights mounting frustration with the administration's response among some of the world's top medical researchers.

Medical journals sometimes run signed editorials that take political stances, but rarely do publications with the Lancet's influence use the full weight of their editorial boards to call for a president to be voted out of office.

"It's not common for a journal to do that - but the scientific community is getting increasingly concerned with the dangerous politicisation of science during this pandemic crisis," said Benjamin Corb, public affairs director for the nonprofit American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

"We watch as political leaders tout unproven medics advice, and public health and science experts are vilified as partisans - all while people continue to get sick and die."

The Lancet published the editorial as the death toll in the United States surpassed 85,000 and many states moved to reopen businesses and ease coronavirus restrictions that experts say are necessary to contain the virus.

The journal said that while infection and death rates have declined in hard-hit states such as New York and New Jersey after two months of virus restrictions, new outbreaks in Minnesota and Iowa have raised questions about the efficacy of the Trump administration's response.

The authors accused the administration of undermining some of the CDC's top officials, saying the agency "has seen its role minimised and become an ineffective and nominal adviser."

They said the agency, which is supposed to be the primary contact for health authorities during crises, had been hamstrung by years of budget cuts that have made it harder to combat infectious diseases.

The editorial also alleged the administration left an "intelligence vacuum" in China when it pulled the last CDC officer from the country in July.

The Lancet took the CDC to task, too, criticising its botched rollout of diagnostic testing in the critical early weeks when the virus began to spread in the United States.

The country remains ill-equipped to provide basic surveillance or laboratory testing to combat the disease, the journal said.

"There is no doubt that the CDC has made mistakes, especially on testing in the early stages of the pandemic," the editorial said. "But punishing the agency by marginalising and hobbling it is not the solution."

"The Administration is obsessed with magic bullets - vaccines, new medicines, or a hope that the virus will simply disappear," it continued.

"But only a steadfast reliance on basic public health principles, like test, trace, and isolate, will see the emergency brought to an end, and this requires an effective national public health agency."

A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Lancet editorial board has criticised the actions of government officials before, although rarely, if ever, has it waded into electoral politics.

During the Obama administration, a 2015 editorial from the publication demanded an independent investigation into a US military airstrike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital in northern Afghanistan that killed 42 people.

The Lancet called the attack a violation of the Geneva Conventions and dismissed then-President Barack Obama's apology for the bombing.

Lancet editor Richard Horton has decried the British government's response to the pandemic in editorials and public statements published under his name.

In a tweet earlier this week, he said Prime Minister Boris Johnson had "dropped the ball" in containing the virus.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/300014088/coronavirus-medical-journal-lancet-blasts-trumps-incoherent-covid19-response?cid=edm:stuff:coronavirus&bid=1275339398

3 hours ago, Coss said:

I'm an on and off hunter, over the years, and I've no emotion when seeing an animal killed, if for appropriate reasons - food is a good reason - trophy is not. Common and pest animals can be killed, rare and beautiful, not.

And as I'm becoming more of an archery aficionado, I'm discovering that "hunting" in 'merica, means often, a different thing, than does the term "hunting" in NZ and OZ.

So, it transpires that what we think of as hunting, in NZ and OZ, is what 'mericans call "spot and stalk"

We, go out into the bush, the mountains, the hinterlands and quietly roam about, looking for, finding and shooting, game/pests.

'mericans drive their trucks up to their hunting area, walk about 200 metres and either, hide in a blind, or up a tree, somethings for days, until an animal comes to the automatic feeder, that's been there for months, feeding out each day, so as to attract the animal. And worse, they go to fenced farms and shoot animals raised specifically for the shooting thereof.

That's not hunting, that's sitting.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  And no doubt they pat themselves on the back - job well done. 

Not that there aren't  "managed" places here in NZ for hunting, but these are usually, the back half of a farm, that's too hilly for stock and the farmer just hasn't kept up on the pest management, so he makes a bit on the side, letting hunters go in, to the game rich hills.

There are also some wild cattle in Taranaki, f'n dangerous looking things, if the uTubery is anything to go by.

I used to trap and hunt when I was a younger man. The furs I sold and the carcass from the muskrats and raccoons I gave to some people at times who actually cooked and ate them. I tried it. Not to bad.

My hunting was mainly rabbit and squirrel. Yes I cooked and ate them.

Tasty when cooked in a cast iron skillet and fried in butter, after rolling the meat in flour..

I didn't ever hunt just to have a trophy mounted on a wall.

It was for food and making money from the furs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had known that in the last 3.5 years, the U.S. would end up where we are at now, I would have retired to my house in Chiangmai in January, 2017.  At least Kansas has a sensible Governor that approaches Coronavirus for the long term, and has not opened up the economy full tilt, like other States (notably Georgia).  We are looking at a second wave of the virus this fall, which could be as bad or worse than the first wave.  I have no faith in 30-40 % of Americans following any kind of social distancing.  
The Presidency is my main concern.  My vote won’t mean anything because I live in Kansas and Trump is a lock there.  My second concern is the Senate.  McConnell has pushed through a lot of Federal Judges, many unqualified.  The only litmus test is that they are anti abortion and radically strict Constitutionalists.  And they have to be around 40 years old, so they serve 30-40 years, as they are appointed for life.  McConnell is sticking his nose into Kansas politics.  With Kris Kobach running, the Republicans have a decent chance of losing the Kansas Senate seat that is up for grabs in November.  McConnell has, for several months, been urging native son Mike Pompeo to run for that seat.  Publicly, Pompeo says he will remain at the State Department.  With the alleged investigation of Pompeo’s improper use of appointed officials as errand boys, I hope that he still stays at State.  It will be for only 7.5 months.  As our Senator, he will be there for at least 6 years, or until he decides to run for President in 2024.  The deadline for filing to be a Senate candidate is June 1, so I guess that I have to sweat out the next 2 weeks.