Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

On 8/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, chocolat steve said:

The Breanna Taylor matter in Louisville, Kentucky is by the far the worse. That is straight out of Mississippi 1920s. The couple's home gets broken into mistakenly by cops. They shoot her, naked, several times, nothing in her hand. The man shoots one of the cops who are not identified as such. He (and anyone else) would believe it was a home invasion. He gets arrested while his girl, a first responder, is dying. Arrested for the temerity of shooting an unidentified cop who was in the wrong. The police department demands the prosecutors convict him. 

From what I've read, the guy thought it was thieves trying to break in and fired first, wounding a policeman. The cops then responded by shooting at everything in sight. Breanna Taylor was killed by lying in bed, and it's a wonder the guy wasn't killed too. It was an over-reaction for sure, but when the adrenalin is pumping you're not thinking right. I learned that in Vietnam. 

I'm very much opposed to this no-knock entries, and neighbours say the police did not identify themselves (though they claim they did). Was Breanna murdered? I wouldn't say she was intentionally targeted, but her death most certainly was manslaughter, since they had no idea who she was. The cops lost it and were firing in panic. They are not supposed to lose their cool. (Remember the cop who panicked and shot an Australian woman who asked for help?)

No-knock entries are very likely going to end this way, as happened in California some years ago, when a man (white this time) heard someone breaking into his home and got up with his pistol in his hand and walked out on the the landing. If I remember right, he responded by shooting a policeman (maybe even killing him), and was then shot dead himself.  The cops had the wrong address that time too.  How many times does it has to happen before it is abandoned?

And since you mention Rittenhouse, a white rightwing-protestor has been shot dead in Portland, with no apparent search for his killer. The guy (a Portland local) was walking along the street unarmed, when a leftist-protestor walked up and shot him in the chest.  Rittenhouse claimed he fired in self-defense, which a judge will have to decide, but there is no question that the death of Aaron Danielson of Portland was just plain murder. What the hell has happened to America?  :(

On 8/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, Mekong said:

Whilst I understand and respect the US having the Second Amendment, things have changed since 1791 and flintlock pistols.

What gets me is, owning an Assault Rifle or Rocket propelled Grenade is legal in some/most States, the ownership of a switchblade or Stiletto blade is banned in others including states that allow Assault Rifles or RPG’s.

Could an American please explain because it too much for me to compute. 

No, you cannot own an RPG launcher in any state, nor can you own hand grenades, landmines etc, artillery pieces, or fully automatic weapons.

Most modern military weapons are what is today called an assault weapon, the large magazine semi-automatic M16 and AK-47 types, and I still don't understand why these are legal.  They were made for combat, not for hunting, target shoot, or home defense. It puzzled me when I moved back to the US 20+ years ago and found that people could buy weapons they had no businesses owning. We couldn't own them in the 1960s and '70s. For one thing, it is comparatively easy to convert them illegally to fully automatic.   A shotgun is actually very effective  for home defense, as is a handgun. What more would you need?

A double-barrel hammer-type shotgun is an exellent choice for home. Keep a gas cartridge in one barrell and buckshot in the other. Then you have a choice of deciding how to respond to an intrusion. If the intruder is non-threatening, you can hit him with the gas. If he is threatening, you drop him with the buckshot. But these days it seems to be the in thing to have an assault weapon, even if it is more dangerous to yourself than to others.

Anything the police say of what happened is no more valid than you or I in the Breonna Taylor matter. The guy did absolutely nothing wrong. In fact, he was brave and should be applauded. I though in America we elevate those men who protect their home? 

The cops are completely wrong. They didn't identify themselves. They were in the wrong home. Anything that happens to a cop after that its their own doing. Anything that happens to the residents they are at the very least 'involuntary manslaughter'. 

I fail to see any wiggle room. None. And the fact they arrest the guy and lied about what happened further supports the polices narrative to be assumed a lie and go from there. 

Murder is murder. You shoot someone on the right or left, its murder. They should all be prosecuted, obviously. What I am seeing is institutional support for murder such as the Rittenhouse shooter. And the Louisville police. The Kenosha police. Dylan Roof was bought a burger by the cop that arrested him. Why does he have a badge? Unless one can show he does that on a regular basis, he shouldn't be on any police force. 

The protests started because murder was being excused in some form or fashion on a regular basis. You or I may not agree with the prevalence of it but enough people believe that to take the streets because all over means to address it have been fruitless. 

Thousands of people in over 30 cities have taken to the streets. That doesn't happen in a vacuum. Its a symptom of something else. Just like how we see various far right protests. It may not mean they are right but it also says there is something enough people are concerned about. They may be concerned about the wrong thing, but they are concerned. 

So, if there are thousands protesting and thinking they have to go to extreme means, whether I believe they are right or not, its important of the government to at least look into it. At least address it. 

A heavily armed group of Navy Seals type policemen tried to arrest a German Hells Angels member 2 years ago banging at his door. The man inside shot through the door with an illegally owned gun and killed a policeman. Final result : acquittal due to assumed self defence. Does not sound very good but  judicially  clean.

Another thing that is interesting is the NRA is suspiciously silent on obvious 2nd amendment issues in "certain" cases. Philandro Castile, registered gun owner shot while going for his permit. Tamir Rice, 12 year old kid, with a toy gun in a park. Police lied about giving warning. video from the park shows he was shot within seconds of the cops opening the door. This was in Cleveland. An open carry state where the police should ask for ID. They did not ask obviously and if a cop can't tell a 12 year old from an adult, in a major city, they shouldn't be on the force for not being able to identify what all of us could in 1 second. 

The boyfriend of Breonna Taylor. Not a peep from the NRA. There is a lawsuit in Chicago that the council who grants concealed weapon permits have been arbitrarily denying a certain class of people permits. They don't have to say why. The permits meet the smallest of criteria to meet it. No felonies. That's it. All the people of this group have zero arrests or charges like domestic abuse, etc. The NRA is suspiciously silent. 

Wonder what they all have in common? The NRA has for years been said to be not about gun rights but gun rights for a select group.