Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

I thought Reagan became popular for selling weapons to Iran during an enbargo so as to get a release of hostage that Jimmy Carter could not or would not do? And wasn't the money suppose to fund the Nicaraguian Contras which Congress specificly said we were not suppose to get involved with?

Didn't that great patriot Colonel North take the fall so Reagan wouldn't get impeached?

[color:red]All sides agree on these incriminating numbers — and now they also appear to agree on this important point: The economy would now be generating job growth at a faster rate if the Democrats hadn’t passed the “stimulus.â€[/color]

Link

I've said all along that Obama is BAD for my country. If he'd been born in the U.S.' date=' I'd call him a traitor. :content:

:stirthepo:stirthepo:stirthepo

(Only Itsmedave has had the balls--among the libtards on the board--to try to defend our WANKER-in-Chief.)

HH[/quote']

HH, I supported Obama and had some reservations because I thought he'd be too liberal. Given his commuity organizing background I feared he'd go too far left.

I am disappointed in him. I don't think he's been terrible. I think he's done an average job, and if I think about it slightly below average. Some things good and some things bad or not so good.

Strangely enough, I am disappointed he has become too centrist! He has also become part of the establishment and I wanted an anti establishment guy.

If I looked back on who I supported in presidential elections, I would have to say I comfortably supported more Republicans than Democrats and this includes candidates before I was able to vote.

However, at the risk of dragging up the dead and long buried, the '00s really has soured me almost completely on Republicans for the national office. I'm not just talking about Bush and Cheney but a lot more. Romney appears to be okay but I simply can't trust Republicans any more. If Palin had been a Democrat, Republicans would have been falling over laughing. For someone so obviously lacking to wield so much power in teh party is frankly very scary and disconcerting. With her emergence as well as the inlfuence of the religious right, I see a party that is just after raw naked power with no conviction whatsoever. I'm sorry, until I see some integrity, I've given up on the party. Local and possibly statewide elections, I still see some Republicans throughout the country true to their ideology but not on the national level.

The Dems are at least doing what they say they'll do even though a lot of the times I don't like it. They have actually moved closer to the center. I think they were forced there because of the Republicans and that's about the only good the Republican party has done.

Edited by Guest

The gold market in the USA's past was not set by the market but the value of gold was set by the government.

Cavanami, you are really bad at math.

BKKtraveller, not sure your point. Of course the price of gold has to be fixed by the government; otherwise it wouldn't be a gold standard. But there still are supply/demand pressures that are set by the market. The government also would have to have someone defend that exchange rate too. Even If you had currency made of gold, it could just evaporate if gold was suddenly in demand.

You know how those boner pills warn against having a boner longer than 4 hours. Suppose they could make a boner pill that made it ok for your boner to last 4 hours, and you could also come every 20 minutes. But the manufacturing process required 1 ounce of gold per pill, and to recover the spent gold (from the patient’s urine), it would cost $20,000 an ounce, (a give new meaning to the word golden shower).

All of a sudden, the demand for gold would go up, and the only way for whatever government agency is replacing the fed to defend the dollar is to steeply raise interest rates, making the dollar more valuable for investors to hold. Of course, to pay their lenders this high interest rate, they have to charge higher interest rates to the borrowers. The economy will tank.

I hope this example demonstrates the point.

Edited by Guest

I thought Reagan became popular for selling weapons to Iran during an enbargo so as to get a release of hostage that Jimmy Carter could not or would not do? And wasn't the money suppose to fund the Nicaraguian Contras which Congress specificly said we were not suppose to get involved with?

Didn't that great patriot Colonel North take the fall so Reagan wouldn't get impeached?

What has amazed me is that the likes of Col. North and G. Gordon Liddy have been praised and held up as patriots. I remember at the time how North was seen as some great patriotic man who loved his country. Despite the fact he violated the constitution and laws he swore to uphold.

On ARRA: There were spending, tax cuts (about 1/3 of it) and money transfered to the states which they normally would have spent anyway if they would have had the own money.

The tax cuts were largely saved, convincingly exposing the saw "tax cuts = new jobs" as a lie.

Consumers didn't spend their tax cuts because they had to repair their balance sheets. With resulting lack of demand, businesses just put theirs in the bank. Look at the data. These are facts.

Obama's policies of cutting taxes did not work.

Based on the gap between the economic capacity and actual GDP, the stimulus should have been twice as large and it should not have been wasted on tax cuts.

On ARRA: There were spending, tax cuts (about 1/3 of it) and money transfered to the states which they normally would have spent anyway if they would have had the own money.

The tax cuts were largely saved, convincingly exposing the saw "tax cuts = new jobs" as a lie.

Consumers didn't spend their tax cuts because they had to repair their balance sheets. With resulting lack of demand, businesses just put theirs in the bank. Look at the data. These are facts.

Obama's policies of cutting taxes did not work.

Based on the gap between the economic capacity and actual GDP, the stimulus should have been twice as large and [color:red]it should not have been wasted on tax cuts[/color].

But it was the GOP who wanted the tax cuts. The stimulus (sounds like something being ramrodded up my ass) was GWB's idea.

Now wasn't GWB a Republican?

Eff you China!

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-discover-large-deposit-rare-minerals-used-ipads-120327460.html

Scientists Discover Large Deposit of Rare Minerals Used in iPads

Prior to this discovery, manufacturers and environmentalists alike expressed concern over the limited and dwindling supply of rare earth minerals. However, experts report that the minerals found in the Pacific may reinforce known land supply by 1,000 times.

The mud is rich in rare earth minerals like gadolinium, lutetium, terbium and dysprosium, which are especially important in the manufacturing of technology like hybrid cars and flat screens. China, which currently produces 97% of the world's rare earth metals, has at times threatened to cut exports of the materials, leading to fear that the prices of electronic devices could soar.

The best part is its OURS!

Japanese scientists announced their analysis of the deposits Monday, claiming the area around Hawaii is especially rich in minerals

Obama got off to a bad start by going ahead with health care when the political climate said otherwise. Its something he should have re-visited later, perhaps second term if he got one or after some early successes. Not sure if it was political naivete or ego disquised as stubbornness.

My view and this may be wrong as I'm not expert is instead of the tax cuts, if you're gonna spend spend on creating jobs with a massive investment in infrastructure. Thousands of dilipidated and run down to the point of being a death trap bridges, tunnels, subway and rail lines, dams, etc. are in need of desparate repair, replacement or retrofitting nationwide. Also, roads, highway, high speed train lines. New public schools need to be built or expanded, especially in areas like the border states where you often end up with too many students in September largely through latin students. Instant job creator. Also, those projects have a lot of indirect jobs not just heavy labor.

I still think converting the hundreds of thousands if not millions of government (city, state and federal) vehicles to hybrids would instantly give the domestic car companies a huge boost and a huge, ready and willing market and get the rust belt back to work where unemployment is needed. A whole new niche of jobs from having to service those cars.

LA, I believe has the largest fleet of natural gas run public busses. Expand that to other cities with tax incentives to expand their bus lines and create more jobs? With the proviso that they have to be 100% made in the U.S.

Finally, some program that eases the housing market. I don't have any specific ideas right now but I'm sure someone can. It needs urgent attention. It has attention but not as much as I think it should.

But it was the GOP who wanted the tax cuts. The stimulus (sounds like something being ramrodded up my ass) was GWB's idea.

Now wasn't GWB a Republican?

I can find no source stating ARRA had anything to do with Bush. TARP was signed by Bush. Obama, Bidden, and McCain voted for it in the Senate.

TARP and ARRA are not the same thing.