Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Not sure if $14 an hour is cheap labor.

Anyway...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/family-fights-government-over-rare-double-eagle-gold-151853030.html

Family fights government over rare ‘Double Eagle’ gold coins

.........Family fights government over rare ‘Double Eagle’ gold coins

.By Zachary Roth

Senior National Affairs Reporter

.PostsEmailRSS .By Zachary Roth | The Lookout – 10 hrs ago

....tweet130EmailPrint.....

AP Photo/U.S. Mint

A jeweler's heirs are fighting the United States government for the right to keep a batch of rare and valuable "Double Eagle" $20 coins that date back to the Franklin Roosevelt administration. It's just the latest coin controversy to make headlines.

Philadelphian Joan Langbord and her sons say they found the 10 coins in 2003 in a bank deposit box kept by Langbord's father, Israel Switt, a jeweler who died in 1990. But when they tried to have the haul authenticated by the U.S. Treasury, the feds, um, flipped.

They said the coins were stolen from the U.S. Mint back in 1933, and are the government's property. The Treasury Department seized the coins, and locked them away at Fort Knox. The court battle is set to kick off this week.

The rare coins (pictured), first struck in 1850, show a flying eagle on one side and a figure representing liberty on the other. One such coin recently sold at auction for $7.6 million, meaning the Langbords' trove could be worth as much as $80 million.

The coins are part of a batch that were struck but then melted down after President Roosevelt took the country off the gold standard in 1933, during the Great Depression. Two were given to the Smithsonian Institution*, but a few more mysteriously escaped.

Two things. Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations even if it they were stolen and 2nd, there is no definitive proof there was a theft (although I suspect there was but the gov't needs to prove it).

wtf, let the friggin' people have the friggin' things instead of having the money wasted by the government.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-executes-mexican-court-stay-rejected-233305430.html

Texas executes Mexican after court stay rejected

A Mexican national was executed Thursday for the rape-slaying of a teenager after the U.S. Supreme Court turned down a White House-supported appeal to spare him in a death penalty case where Texas justice triumphed over international treaty concerns.

In his last minutes, Humberto Leal repeatedly said he was sorry and accepted responsibility.

"I have hurt a lot of people. ... I take full blame for everything. I am sorry for what I did," he said in the death chamber.

"One more thing," he said as the drugs began taking effect. Then he shouted twice, "Viva Mexico!"

"Ready warden," he said. "Let's get this show on the road."

He's pond scum but I grudgingly gotta give him his due. He went out in style. He can go eff himself with the Viva Mexico' line even though you can't blame a guy for showing love to his home but the 'lets get the show on the road' quip is classic!

Were it me, it would be 'Up the Arsenal...okay, lets do this bitches'

Not sure if $14 an hour is cheap labor.

Anyway...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/family-fights-government-over-rare-double-eagle-gold-151853030.html

Family fights government over rare ‘Double Eagle’ gold coins

.........Family fights government over rare ‘Double Eagle’ gold coins

.By Zachary Roth

Senior National Affairs Reporter

.PostsEmailRSS .By Zachary Roth | The Lookout – 10 hrs ago

....tweet130EmailPrint.....

AP Photo/U.S. Mint

A jeweler's heirs are fighting the United States government for the right to keep a batch of rare and valuable "Double Eagle" $20 coins that date back to the Franklin Roosevelt administration. It's just the latest coin controversy to make headlines.

Philadelphian Joan Langbord and her sons say they found the 10 coins in 2003 in a bank deposit box kept by Langbord's father, Israel Switt, a jeweler who died in 1990. But when they tried to have the haul authenticated by the U.S. Treasury, the feds, um, flipped.

They said the coins were stolen from the U.S. Mint back in 1933, and are the government's property. The Treasury Department seized the coins, and locked them away at Fort Knox. The court battle is set to kick off this week.

The rare coins (pictured), first struck in 1850, show a flying eagle on one side and a figure representing liberty on the other. One such coin recently sold at auction for $7.6 million, meaning the Langbords' trove could be worth as much as $80 million.

The coins are part of a batch that were struck but then melted down after President Roosevelt took the country off the gold standard in 1933, during the Great Depression. Two were given to the Smithsonian Institution*, but a few more mysteriously escaped.

Two things. Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations even if it they were stolen and 2nd, there is no definitive proof there was a theft (although I suspect there was but the gov't needs to prove it).

wtf, let the friggin' people have the friggin' things instead of having the money wasted by the government.

Stewve,

Well, 14 bucks an hour at a 40 hour work week comes to 560 bucks a week pay BEFORE taxes. Take out the 33% taxes paid and what is left to live on (survive on more likely)?

Consider that most of these jobs are in the big cities. Take into account the cost of living, renting (or buying) in the big cities. How far will 1200 bucks a month take home pay get you these days (that's about what your take home pay after taxes would be monthly)? Can you buy and insure a car on this money, paying half your monthly income in rent (2 bedroom apartment 600 bucks a month [if you are lucky] in a shitty neighborhood to raise your kids in).

14 bucks an hour is shit. The average income needed to live a decent middle class life is said to be over 100,000 G a year these days.

Survival mode income this is. Save for the future for retirement on this? Not fucking likely.

If the US wants better employable people who can earn a decent living they need to educate the populace... for free. Take the war money spent, the military industrial money wasted, and educate the masses with this wasted tax money instead.

But, the US gov and fat cats big industry fuckers want to pay shit to the common working man. More for them and their stockholders and CEOS and such. And the union pussies these days cave in repeatedly.

A revolution is needed.

Revolution? Revolution? Join the Tea Party. :neener:

BTW: "The average income needed to live a decent middle class life is said to be over 100,000 G a year these days." Not true. I have no clue as to your source, but you should certainly be wary of accepting other pronouncements from the source.

HH

"One more thing," he said as the drugs began taking effect. Then he shouted twice, "Viva Mexico!"

The bunghole had lived in the US since he was TWO YEARS OLD. But he never bothered to become a US citizen. If he thought Mexico was so great, why didn't he return there and join a drug cartel. I do NOT support the death penalty, but I cannot get upset over this piece of poop.

TSA Agent Caught With Passenger's iPad in His Pants

While most Transportation Security Administration employees are busy groping people or taking naked pictures of them, the cops say one of those employees was putting fliers' electronics down his pants.

The Broward Sheriff's Office says 30-year-old Nelson Santiago stole around $50,000 worth of electronics over the past six months from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport's Terminal 1.

Santiago - a TSA officer since 2009 -- was caught earlier this week by a Continental Airlines employee taking an iPad out of someone's luggage and stuffing it into his pants, the cops say.

After being arrested Monday on two counts of grand theft, police say Santiago admitted to stealing computers, GPS devices, video cameras, and other electronic merchandise from luggage he was supposed to be screening.

The cops say Santiago would immediately take pictures of his new goods and upload the photos online to sell the stuff.

Santiago would typically sell the stolen goods to people before his shift was even over, police say.

BSO detectives estimate that Santiago's haul totaled $50,000 over the past six months.

The cops are looking for people whose stuff has been stolen, although they say the chances of getting the stuff back are slim.

Santiago was released from jail on bond, although police say more charges against him are pending.

[color:red]According to police, Santiago no longer works with the TSA.[/color] :content:

Link

TSA Agent Caught With Passenger's iPad in His Pants

While most Transportation Security Administration employees are busy groping people or taking naked pictures of them, the cops say one of those employees was putting fliers' electronics down his pants.

The Broward Sheriff's Office says 30-year-old Nelson Santiago stole around $50,000 worth of electronics over the past six months from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport's Terminal 1.

Santiago - a TSA officer since 2009 -- was caught earlier this week by a Continental Airlines employee taking an iPad out of someone's luggage and stuffing it into his pants, the cops say.

After being arrested Monday on two counts of grand theft, police say Santiago admitted to stealing computers, GPS devices, video cameras, and other electronic merchandise from luggage he was supposed to be screening.

The cops say Santiago would immediately take pictures of his new goods and upload the photos online to sell the stuff.

Santiago would typically sell the stolen goods to people before his shift was even over, police say.

BSO detectives estimate that Santiago's haul totaled $50,000 over the past six months.

The cops are looking for people whose stuff has been stolen, although they say the chances of getting the stuff back are slim.

Santiago was released from jail on bond, although police say more charges against him are pending.

[color:red]According to police, Santiago no longer works with the TSA.[/color] :content:

Link

Released on bond?

Why isn't his spinster muscle being stretched?

Does he still have his job at TSA?

Has he been promoted yet?

Hey, the other kindler, gentler CS (hehehe), $14/hr isn't great I grant you that. I guess it depends on WHO is being paid $14/hr.

In your scenario, that is right, its not much. However, I thought about in terms of not being the wage for a guy raising a family but a regular single guy needing a job. Also, its a starting wage. I don't expect him or her to be at $14 for the rest of their career.

We can't start off at $20/hr any more. We have to start somewhere.

A living wage is different depending on where you live. Philadelphia, MS and Philadelphia, Pa or York, Pa and New York, NY., have vastly different costs of living for housing, etc.

I'd see myself as still having to live a fairly spartan life on 100g a year in NY and LA but I'd live like a king in other cities.

You could though make the argument those jobs are for family men and you would be right. However, I would assume the benefits package would be halfway decent and it would depend on how long you'd have to live on $14/hr. There's also overtime, etc.

For a guy with a family, no college, blue collar worker and unemployed, I don't think he can find $14/hr many places. Especially a company with the upside potential of a major car manufacturer with a union that he can get into. Its a start.

The cost of living though is one of the reasons we still have the working poor. Maybe I read it here on one of these threads or maybe I read it somewhere else but I recall hearing that we have made modern technology cheap or cheaper such as dvds and dvd players, phones, etc. but the things that we must have, transportation, housing, energy, health care has gotten more expensive. Only food of the essentials(housing, transportation, food, etc.) has gotten cheap or is cheap comparatively. Perhaps clothing ca fit into the cheap category as well.

When the idiot George McGovern was running for prez, he announced he wanted to sock it to the rich, starting major income taxes at something like $30,000 a year. Someone with a few marbles told him that taxi drivers in NYC made that much and were not exactly rich!

p.s. For comparison, I started out teaching school in 1968 for $640 a month, which was considered good money in California.