Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Perhaps the Angel Moroni would suddenly reappear and leave Mitt a set of instructions on golden tablets as to how to win the election.. worked last time with Joseph Smith when he founded the Moron cult.

How could Americans vote for such a nutter who believes such crap?

Perhaps the Angel Moroni would suddenly reappear and leave Mitt a set of instructions on golden tablets as to how to win the election.. worked last time with Joseph Smith when he founded the Moron cult.

How could Americans vote for such a nutter who believes such crap?

Joseph Smith did run for President of The United States - it probably got him in the grave faster then if he didn't run.

Joseph Smith did run for President of The United States - it probably got him in the grave faster then if he didn't run.

Sorry, I was a bit pissed last night when I wrote that. I meant to finish off with..

... helped him with his erections!

:beer:

I could care less if a candidate believes in the tooth fairy. A person's personal faith or lack of one is their own business. What I do care about is if that person has the moral/ethical standards that the office requires. I do care if that person suppresses their religious inclination to uphold the constitutioinal they swear to abide by. And of course they are capable to do an effective job with good ideas and programs. Thats a given.

An atheist can be just as good of a president as a christian, moslem, jew...and yes, mormon. I have friends of different beliefs and their beliefs has nothing to do with their being great friends. Honest, caring friends.

My reticence about Romney is my lack of faith that he knows how to fix things. My fear is he may make things worse. There may be candidates with a better idea of what to do. I also think there are things the president should not do. Making the rich richer isn't one of them. Especially if there is no benefit to the rest of us. I don't buy the cut taxes to the rich because they create jobs or will create jobs this time. Cutting IBM's corporate rate signficantly won't make them hire more people I think. Maybe I am wrong on it but I think all it will do is give them more money to sit on. I think they will hire people when they sell more products. Ford will hire more people when its cars are hot sellers and expected to keep selling. Not if their taxes are cut. I don't see how someone's capital gains taxes on their trading account will increase employment. I've worked in the industry. I've never seen someone not buy a stock because the amount of taxes on the gain is too high. You make the money first then worry about the taxes. Tax consideration doesn't factor in investing into a stock you think will take off.

There is also this huge contradiction in this country. People, the masses, need to save more. Our savings rate is low. We carry way too much debt as a collective. However, the government wants us to spend on the products and services of the companies in the country. We can't do both. Families shouldn't throwing out their old tv for a flat screen. They should be saving, but that's exactly whatat the government wants us to do (spend that money). We really shouldn't be trying to buy new and bigger houses and carrying a larger mortgage. If I live in a house that has a $1,000 mortgage but my promotion at work now allows me to afford a $1,500 a month mortgage should I move to a bigger house? Housing starts, new houses is a stat that is always mentioned. The government wants us to move that bigger house so that stat improves but its best that person stays in their present house and saves that increase in salary.

T

I won't hold a person's religion against them (unless they believe in something awful like forced female circumcision or treating women as virtual slaves), but it won't make me vote for them either. The Book of Mormon is patently absurd (and completely contradicted by archaeology and DNA), but Mormons by and large are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Joe Smith may have been a conman, but the church he created is a lot nicer than the one L. Ron Hubbard came up with.

I remember when I was a kid and JFK was running for Prez. All sorts of folks were saying that if an RC became Prez, the Pope would run the country! In reality, JFK was more interested in getting laid and having a good time than listening to the head of his church. I can't see Romney taking orders from the poobah in Salt Lake City either.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/could-obama-done-differently-create-jobs-improve-economy-151029988.html

What could Obama have done differently to create jobs and improve the economy?

Much of the debate centers on the $787 billion stimulus, passed in February 2009, that tried to give the faltering economy a shot in the arm. Among the sometimes contradictory criticisms that have emerged are three big arguments: the stimulus failed to boost the economy; it was poorly designed; and it wasn't big enough.

The notion that the stimulus failed has hardened into Republican orthodoxy, but it doesn't hold up. A study released last week by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office confirmed that as of June, between 1 million and 2.9 million people are working who wouldn't otherwise have been, thanks to the stimulus...

Perhaps it should have relied less on infrastructure projects and more on "large, quick, payroll tax cuts," as Kaus argues. President Obama has admitted that few infrastructure projects turned out to be "shovel-ready." But a payroll tax cut has been in effect since the start of the year, and as Bruce Bartlett, who served as a Treasury official in President George H.W. Bush's administration, wrote this week, "There is no evidence that the lower payroll tax has done much of anything to stimulate either spending or hiring." The Obama administration has proposed extending the cut into next year. Republicans oppose the idea....

HELP FOR HOMEOWNERS This one's hard to argue with. When President Obama launched his program to help struggling homeowners in 2009, he said it would help 3 to 4 million borrowers to modify their mortgages. That goal now seems unreachable: As of July, only 675,447 mortgages had been permanently modified. Consumer advocates say a better-designed program--for instance, one that required mortgage companies to participate, rather than making the program voluntary--would have stood more chance of succeeding. The evidence suggests they're right.

...Right now, what's holding back the economy is a lack of demand, in the form of consumer spending. And that lack of demand stems largely from the enormous loss of housing wealth that occurred in recent years. Until the housing sector picks up, the economy as a whole will struggle. And a successful mortgage modification program could have helped quite a lot.

The 'other guy sucks more' strategy has commenced.

Article warning on what Rick Perry would do with the consitution.

1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.

2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.

3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.

4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.

5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.

6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.

7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/seven-ways-rick-perry-wants-change-constitution-131634517.html

Warning? Warning? Only tells us what his "personal" thoughts are and what he would sign off on. Certainly nothing he could do alone and doubtful if more than one idea would get through the amendment process. Just a liberal blogger scared shitless of another GOP hopeful that would be a better president than the one we have. (And that's why there are soooooooo many GOP hopefuls...they could ALL do better, certainly not worse, than Barry.)

HH

Prez. O has done a bang up job of ignoring the US constitution!

Approval of Congress for wars...nah, don't need to do that!!

etc etc etc...

Perry is just a talking head, trying to get on the Ron Paul wagon to look like a different person...and what has he done in Texas? not much!